PDA

View Full Version : T-56 swap into 2nd gen

rscamaro73
04-18-2006, 04:39 AM
Just looking to see if any of you folks have seen/read any resources for a T-56 swap into a 2nd gen ???

My only thing is that its going behind a 454 and the trans is a 98+ F-body unit.

Any info/links would be appreciated. I have ALOT of time on my hand sto read at the moment.....

Tru2Chevy
04-18-2006, 08:18 AM
You'll need to find an adapter plate to match the LSx bellhousing with a BBC. If the trans is stock and the motor is built up, I would recommend some internal upgrades to the trans before you install it. I don't know tons about the T-56, but I think shift forks can get beat up pretty easily.

- Justin

bad64chevelle
04-18-2006, 09:45 AM
Yeah you are definitely going to want to build that T56 up. I am currently in search for a T56 because I am puting an LT1 and T56 in my 63 Nova. What do you plan on doing with the car will it mostly be a street car or will it see track time?

V
04-18-2006, 12:25 PM
in addition to the adapter plate, you will probably need a certain special pilot bushing. im doing a t5-t56 swap and im still trying to read up on all the needed parts. For the hydraulics you need a internal slave aka hydraulic throwoutbearing. OR you may be able to find a company that makes a special bellhousing that will bolt to the t56 to a BBC and allow you to use a standard mechanical clutch setup. ive read that lts have a throwout bearing that actually has a snap ring connected to the preesure plate so i need a lt1 clutch, but the LS1 t56 doesnt have that. I do know the input shaft of a ls1 t56 is a different length that the lt1 ones and the over all trans length of a ls1 unit is slightly longer than a lt1 t56. so in case you find lt1 t56 swap info just keep in mind its not exactly the same for your trans.

rscamaro73
04-18-2006, 01:09 PM
D&D makes a trans that just bolts up to a stock style bellhousing and it works with a mechanical linkage. That thing is over $2000....I'm into this one with $500....plus the cost of the upgrades (steel forks and carbon blocker rings and new synchros). Now, McLeod makes something that SHOULD work, but its like almost $400....but is a 'no fuss' deal. Still need a clutch/PP/T.O. bearing, etc....Need to resurface my flywheel as well.

AND figure out a x-member. That shouldn't be too hard. Set my driveline angle and run with it. Driveline shop is in Trenton, like 5 min away. Prolly have them weld the x-member after its marked up unless I get the welder from my buddy or bro in law to tack it.

I have most if not all the 4 spd parts to retrofit into my car that were 'stock'. I'd like to stay away from the hyd slave cylinder as I never seem to have good luck with them.

Any recommendations as far as a trans shop to get the work I need done to the trans ? I'd rather not have to buy a new faceplate or whatever its called from D&D (if they even sell it seperate) and get it installed or a Viper input shaft (its BEEFY but bigger than the LS1 type unit). That's how the 'aftermarket' D&D unit is.

Now, Teetoe in La$ Vega$ is currently working on a LS1 swap kit but I don't think his setups are being done for a BBC -> T-56 swap. So, this is what I'm facing. I think I MIGHT be able to just get the x-member from them or Classic 5 spds. Those are the ones working on the 2nd gen LSx swap kit.

BonzoHansen
04-18-2006, 09:12 PM
Go cruise over at www.nastyz28.com It has been discussed. Unless you get a trans cheap, maybe look into a TKO trans as well. http://www.classicchevy5speed.com/ People rave about their service.

Also check http://www.keislerauto.com/ but I have heard good & bad things about them.

JL8Jeff
04-20-2006, 09:43 AM
I bet someone at Pro-Touring.com (http://www.pro-touring.com) has done it. But it's the LS1 T56 that might cause you the most difficulty because of the different pattern.

WildBillyT
04-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Go cruise over at www.nastyz28.com

LOL Scott, are you being sarcastic? You are talking to the #1 post whore from NastyZ.

rscamaro73
04-20-2006, 11:54 PM
LOL Scott, are you being sarcastic? You are talking to the #1 post whore from NastyZ.

Thanks for the confidence booster....lol....

BTW....I just gotta get some coordination with John as far as the trans....if things are looking right, I should be able to close on it next week...but I'll keep you updated.

AND I'll make sure he has those bushings......if not I'll just cover you for them as well.

Anyone on here interested in a ST-10 in working order with shifter/linkage/and a stock bellhousing ?? $500....can get my middle man to meet with you.

BonzoHansen
04-21-2006, 10:44 PM

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v359/SIBLY/Emos/sarcasm.png