PDA

View Full Version : Clutch bleeding woes.

saint
04-27-2006, 11:12 PM
My poor poor car is not in my driveway tonight and this is a problem!

A couple friends and myself did the drill mod to the master tonight. Once all was said and done, it came time to bleed the system and call it a day. Right?

... why should I be so lucky?

So I've got ZERO clutch pressure. I heard the mityvac pulls something in the master inside out? Which is why ive been a little hesitant... Also, the mity vac, does it come with all the right parts to properly bleed the clutch? The kit i saw looked like the hand pump and a tube... what little parts do you need?

I'm not sure if I should go and get a mity vac and try this out anyway, or just have the car towed to a shop... I'm really upset because I'll have to call off my track plans tonight if I cant get this issue resolved soon. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I really just dont know what to do. And it REALLY sucks driving away from your car at someone elses house. I miss her already.

qwikz28
04-27-2006, 11:25 PM
thats why i really want to do that mod but im scared to... im sorry to hear that man

saint
04-28-2006, 06:11 AM
lol yeah ... time to take care of this nightmare. :-P

johnjzjz
04-30-2006, 09:00 AM
motor cycles have the same problem we have found a real easy way to empty all the air from the master if you have a hand pump oil can clean it real good flush some brake fluid through it conect a small hose that will fit on the slave bleeder on bell housing and pump the fluid from the bottom of the car up to the master and fill it that way if some one is helping you do not let them look into master as you pump ( an eye full ) than we call it slap the clutch pedel at the top 3 inches the sharp banging the pedel will do at the top against the stop will get any small air that was trapped you did not get with the OIL can -- all of this with master top on if you peek you will see air bubbles but watch out for the cars paint it will not like it keep water hose handy jz

Injuneer
05-01-2006, 09:18 AM
A buddy of mine replaced the master on his 99 SS with the McLeod adjustable, and did the drill mod. Would not develop any pressure bleeding it at the slave fitting. He was able to "bench bleed" the master with my MiteyVac with no problems.

Batman
05-01-2006, 10:22 AM
You have to take the master back off and bench bleed it, I had the same problem on mine. If you don't bench bleed it you will just keep sucking fluid right through it. Fill the master cylinder up with fluid, re-install it, then bleed the system from the slave cylinder. Make sure you don't empty the reservoir under the hood, or you will have to start all over. I HIGHLY recommend manually bleeding it so you don't drain the reservoir too quickly.

IcemanSS
05-01-2006, 11:02 AM
:stupid:

Savage_Messiah
05-07-2006, 01:37 AM
non-LS1/auto guy here... I always hear about this "drill mod," but what is it/what does it do?

qwikz28
05-07-2006, 10:42 PM
non-LS1/auto guy here... I always hear about this "drill mod," but what is it/what does it do?
basically GM is a bunch of morons and decided to make the lines barely big enough to run enough pressure through them, but when you go with a bigger clutch this presents a problem so you basically drill out the lines a little bit to allow more clutch fluid or whatever the hell goes through the line

Ian
05-07-2006, 11:57 PM
basically GM is a bunch of morons and decided to make the lines barely big enough to run enough pressure through them, but when you go with a bigger clutch this presents a problem so you basically drill out the lines a little bit to allow more clutch fluid or whatever the hell goes through the line

Its not clutch fluid, its brake fluid. :wink:

qwikz28
05-08-2006, 07:39 AM

Its not clutch fluid, its brake fluid. :wink:
what does brake fluid have to do with the clutch?

edit: yeah your right its brake fluid and installuniversity.com has a pretty good write up if you wanna do it