PDA

View Full Version : Custom Chip for my 88 LO3

r0nin89
05-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Once I put the exhaust on I would like to slap a new chip in. From what I've heard on Thirdgen.org tuning is the key to a healthy race ready LO3 (TBI). Apparently tuning the engine stock will yield inprovments. Anyone know a shop or someone that can burn PROM chips for my Maro? I have the laptop to data log so that part is done.

Tru2Chevy
05-01-2006, 10:37 PM
I don't think there are any shops around here that will burn you a chip, but I know there are a few members who have the knowledge and equipment to do so.

- Justin

r0nin89
05-02-2006, 07:48 PM
I don't think there are any shops around here that will burn you a chip, but I know there are a few members who have the knowledge and equipment to do so.

- Justin
Please tell who :) I'll tell em a PM saying can I come over this weekend so you can burn me a chip?

deadtrend1
05-02-2006, 08:49 PM
what else is done to the car besides exhaust? I would do the free mods, upgrade the peanut cam, a few other bolt ons..... and then get a chip.

90FormulaWS6
05-02-2006, 08:52 PM
i tune tbi... PM me and ill give ya run down

r0nin89
05-02-2006, 08:57 PM
Well when I look to have the chip done I'll have 160 degree thermostat ready to go in with the chip,
L88 cowl hood with the aircleaner sealed into the cowl
1-3/4 primary tubes, 3" collecter
3" Y Pipe
Gutted cat
3" in/out flowmaster 40 "false" duel exhaust
Trans-Go shift kit
Vette Servo (if its easy enough to go in with the shift kit)
Hurst Dual Gate Shifter.

90FormulaWS6
05-02-2006, 09:02 PM
cool man... lmk when your ready... ill be around here somewhere

r0nin89
05-02-2006, 09:05 PM
Thats enough modifications to necessitate a chip isnt it? After that its LT1 cam, Vortec headers and an intake manifold soooo I cant be running that stock chip when I drop that stuff in.

PS : Plus I want to change my temp to 160 and turn my AIR off cause its making my car run a little rich...

Bad news is dont expect this stuff (the first list) until probably mid august. License comes september 28th I cant wait...

90FormulaWS6
05-02-2006, 09:09 PM
well id do all those mods before you tune, your car will run fine with the other bolt ons but when you start to change cams and heads, its really time for a tune because the car wont run right w/o it...

r0nin89
05-02-2006, 09:12 PM
I'v eheard time and time again with heavy mods like all the exhaust, hotter cam, heads and intake manifold the computer wont even let the car starts. Untrue then? My cuz has a 89 mustang and its got a nuts motor in it pushing 400hp with nothing but a jet stage 2 chip in it. Its not putting out peak performance but its definatly starting a running properly. Would mine be the same or is our cumputer stricter?

Hehe good ol edit, thats what I planned on doing. All the bolt ons, tune a chip then start with the internals.

90FormulaWS6
05-02-2006, 09:19 PM
I'v eheard time and time again with heavy mods like all the exhaust, hotter cam, heads and intake manifold the computer wont even let the car starts. Untrue then? My cuz has a 89 mustang and its got a nuts motor in it pushing 400hp with nothing but a jet stage 2 chip in it. Its not putting out peak performance but its definatly starting a running properly. Would mine be the same or is our cumputer stricter?

Hehe good ol edit, thats what I planned on doing. All the bolt ons, tune a chip then start with the internals.

well you see JET and other companies make a generic tune and sell it to everyone, your cousin is probably seeing nowhere near the potential of his motor since every motor is different... its not the fact that the computer is more strict, its just that the tune on stock L03s are for a really small cam and debatably restrictive heads... when you change parts like the cam and the heads, the stock tune cannot handle these parts and is fueling and timing for parts that are nowhere near ballpark to what is on the car, so the car will not run, and if it does it wont run well.... what a tune will do is readjust the computer for the new demands

r0nin89
05-02-2006, 09:24 PM
Well by the time I have the cam, heads, and intake manifold ready to go on I'll have my license and hopefully be up in edison visting a man about a chip :D