PDA

View Full Version : Satellite Radio....

79CamaroDiva
05-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Is it worth it? and which is better? I think i've heard more complaints about serius than XM, and even though i used to be a devout howard listener, i found him rather annoying the past year and a half, so i could probably live w/o him.

Which one really has the best music choice and play lists?

ded71
05-19-2006, 01:20 PM
I just installed sirius around 2 weeks ago, and I am falling in love. The sound quality, while not exactly CD quality, blows FM off the map. However I did connect it directly to the head unit, I'm not using that fm transmitter crap. I lose the signal for a second when I go under an overpass, or in a gas station under that metal roof, other than that, it has been fantastic.
I have also found alot of stations that play stuff I like. I'm more into the classic rock, hard rock stuff. I think the selection is pretty good. Commercial free is a nice bonus. There is some self promotion stuff, shows on other stations, ticket giveaways, stuff like that, but no 10 minute blocks of advertising. All in all I think it's worth the money, 20 years ago no one thought people would pay for TV either.:nod:
P.S. they both have free online samples that you can listen to for a couple of days and see which one has a selection more suited to your tastes. Good luck.

GP99GT
05-19-2006, 01:28 PM
my cousin has sirius, they never seem to play anything that i like. which would be metal/classic rock

once in a while i catch something good on it, but i find that FM stations around here are better for what i like. 105.5 and 104.3 being the main ones

i dont think its worth it.

misterjuice
05-19-2006, 01:59 PM
2 stations for SIRIUS..........New Country and Prime Country..... nuff said

camaro2you
05-19-2006, 02:07 PM
i have xm and i love it.

Tru2Chevy
05-19-2006, 02:55 PM
What I've found is that XM has more channels and lots more music, but Sirius plays more hits. If you like Top 40 radio from your favorite genre, Sirius may be better for you. If you like to listen to pretty much everything, XM FTW!

- Justin

enRo
05-19-2006, 05:40 PM
I got Sirius satellite ... awesome, simply awesome ... you can rewind up to 40 minutes of the station, and the sound quality is awesome. I hate FM radio with a passion, thats why i got satellite. I'd say go for it. If not, you can cruise around town on 88.1FM and pick up everyone elses Sirius signals :lol:

Tsar
05-19-2006, 05:56 PM
radio FTL!

GP99GT
05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
mp3 CD ftw!

ALLMACK
10-20-2006, 06:57 PM
Just got the alpine 9856 head unit and the next day got the siruis siralp1 to go with it, I am very happy with the setup !

Knipps
10-20-2006, 07:15 PM
Dish Network sends out a bunch of Sirius Radio stations to its receivers....
Sirius Octane seems to fit my taste

V
10-20-2006, 08:58 PM
I'll have XM soon, mainly because it was very cheap from my friend and its a pioneer IP bus setup(will work with my SS's mutimedia system)

Fast92RS
10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
I got sirius and love it. I never listen to regular radio anymore. Just the fact to not to have to listen to comercials is great.

deadtrend1
10-20-2006, 09:29 PM
I have both. Sirius is in the 96. That uses the IP bus straight into the Kenwood headunit. I've only had sirius for a few months, but I like it, i just hate stern.

I have XM in my Silverado (ip bus into my pioneer), Bedroom, a roady2 unit in my dad's truck, and the SkiFi2 which i have setup in my garage, and the boombox, and the car kit that i keep in my work truck. Ive had XM for close to about 4 years. Maybe more.....

BrandonDrecksage
10-21-2006, 12:07 PM
i got sirius. I love it, specially stern, at first all i lsitened to was the maxim channel, but now i pretty much listen to stern cosntantly. its nice, on fridays they play olf classic shows from teh early 90s and late 80s...uncensored. i've had it for 1 1/2 years now and I couldn't go back. The internet radio is nice to, so i don't need to buy a home kit, just id on to the sirius website and bring up the channel i want to listen to and it plays right through my computer. The channels on the internet and limited though.

Iroc-z86
10-21-2006, 09:36 PM
i have xm in my cavalier, home and camaro. worth the money. just wish the antennas were a little stronger. stupid trees. but i like it overall sound quality is really good. not cd but very close.

slasherbarb
10-27-2006, 09:30 PM
i have sirius...my pioneer radio is capatible with both...TWO CHANNELS OF COMMERCIAL-FREE TECHNO FTMFW!!! i love it cause they play songs/remixes you will never ever hear on commercial radio...plus stern, raw dog comedy, maxim, and hari nation (80s hair bands nonstop!!) are also my favorites...

Knipps
10-28-2006, 12:08 AM
hair nation is pretty good but i prefer octane

Mike
11-01-2006, 06:36 PM
i pod direct wired into the touchscreen ftw....oh and it has xm too....so i guess, my truck ftw

t/a on the other hand may be having radio delete

79CamaroDiva
11-02-2006, 05:02 PM
i didnt even know this thread was still going... i got sirius shortly after i made this thread in may, haven't looked back since. I had my ipod plugged in for about a year and a half, but i got sick of not hearing new music.. i love going on long trips and not having to change the station constantly.

deadtrend1
11-03-2006, 05:15 PM
........... i love going on long trips and not having to change the station constantly.

:nod:
listened to hair metal all the way from here to florida.

01ws6TA
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I have both sirius and xm (sirius in car and xm thru directv at home) from the sheer point of stations that play metal Sirius hands down. And Howard is always FTW.

deadtrend1
11-06-2006, 06:38 PM
I have both sirius and xm (sirius in car and xm thru directv at home) from the sheer point of stations that play metal Sirius hands down. And Howard is always FTW.

true ... i like siruis' rock selection more ..... but i just am a anti-howard guy ... :)

Soon the vehicle that has sirius will be on the road again ... haha

97Formula
03-24-2007, 07:49 PM
my cousin has sirius, they never seem to play anything that i like. which would be metal/classic rock
i dont think its worth it.

Try Buzzsaw for classic rock, Octane or Hard Attack for metal.

camarokev
05-02-2007, 11:56 PM
interesting thread- I had been thinkin about gettin one of these- but have not taken the dive since I have the Ipod hookup that I have.... got like 35,000 plus songs at my fingertips from artists I like... and can control it from the headunit... still tho, it's tempting :)

Knipps
05-03-2007, 12:03 AM
interesting thread- I had been thinkin about gettin one of these- but have not taken the dive since I have the Ipod hookup that I have.... got like 35,000 plus songs at my fingertips from artists I like... and can control it from the headunit... still tho, it's tempting :)

what headunit do you have?

enRo
05-03-2007, 01:30 AM

You know, they have devices where you CAN control satellite radio with your head unit... derrrr lol

Knipps
05-03-2007, 01:52 AM
You know, they have devices where you CAN control satellite radio with your head unit... derrrr lol

he's saying by being able to control the ipod through his head unit why bother w/ satt. radio

SupermanX24
05-03-2007, 11:58 AM
I used to sell both when I worked at Best Buy. I actually heard better compliments from Sirius than I did XM. And me being in that department all day long for 7 months, I found myself listening to a Sirius receiver rather than an XM. Really most of it is personal choice, and the main difference is sports and talk shows. And if you're going to hook it up to your car, you are definetly better off hard wiring it to your radio. The FM Transmitter is total crap.

deadtrend1
05-06-2007, 07:08 AM
I used to sell both when I worked at Best Buy. I actually heard better compliments from Sirius than I did XM. And me being in that department all day long for 7 months, I found myself listening to a Sirius receiver rather than an XM. Really most of it is personal choice, and the main difference is sports and talk shows. And if you're going to hook it up to your car, you are definetly better off hard wiring it to your radio. The FM Transmitter is total crap.

I only use a fm modulator in my work truck since it has no tape deck, just straight radio

LS1Hawk
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM
My Cobalt came with a 3 month trial of XM. Didn't think I would really need it because I hardly listen to regular radio. Turns out I subscribed, mainly for the 24 hour NYC traffic channel. Comes in very handy during my commute. But I'm also big into oldies, standards, classic rock, and punk. It's got stations for all of those. Plus hundreds of sports channels. So far I've had no problem with the signal.