PDA

View Full Version : Big Ignition Problem!!!!

camaro2you
06-04-2006, 05:54 PM
Hey guys i am haveing a very unusual problem, when i turn the car to acc it will start to crank. I just put in a new ignition switch and it did not solve this problem, the only way i can start the car is splice in a switch to the neutral saftey switch wire in the center consol, off postion no crank and on postion it will crank this is really starting to confuse the hell out of me luckaly the car is not on the road yet. Please help i can take pictures or answer any qustions that you have, the vehicle is a 1986 z28 camaro that was carbed and i switched to a old school setup, 350 with a demon carb and a msd billet distributer, this problem only started occuring this past week, i have had the new motor in the car since last august and this carb setup since december with no problems. thanks in advance!!!!

camaro2you
06-04-2006, 06:33 PM
nother posibility could the starter solinoid be screwed up and be causeing it to do this i think now but my dad said that could be it. thanks again

V
06-04-2006, 06:49 PM
i dont think its the solenoid. the solenoid only has 2 terminals, always hot, and starter/crank. there is no wire that will give any type aof voltage to the starter at ACC. Try this, check the wires at the starter, there should be one purple wire, disconnect it from the starter terminal and see if it has power when the key is at the ACC position. if it does, go under the steering column and try to isolate/disconnect just the purple wire from the conenctor, chekc the spot where it was coming from the column and see if you get power at ACC and/or run. if you only get power there at run, then you should probably start doing continuity tests between the purple wire at the fose box(on engine side of firewall) and see if it is shorting out somewhere. One solution(if you prove the switch is fine), it to run a 12-14 gauge wire from the terminal on the column(cut the purple wire) and run it directly to the starter itself, to where the purple wire went(and obvioulsy disconnect the purple wire) that way it will bypass any problems along the purple wire, but id recommend you find the real cause and fix that, so its done the right way. I do alot of wiring and if you need any further advice or trouble shooting once you make some progress, just let me know.

camaro2you
06-04-2006, 07:01 PM
ok thanks for the advice ill look into that after i put my ground effects piece back on.

camaro2you
06-07-2006, 04:55 PM
update, followed the purple wire from the starter and it doesnt go to the igniton switch but it goes up the column further, to what i do now know but could it be possible that something in the column itself is bad?

Tru2Chevy
06-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Sounds like something in the column might be messed up....

I would figure out exactly where that purple wire is going before doing anything else.

- Justin

camaro2you
06-08-2006, 02:53 PM
fixed she is running great, thanks again paul!!!!!

Tru2Chevy
06-08-2006, 04:25 PM
fixed she is running great, thanks again paul!!!!!

What was the issue?

- Justin