PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about joining the ranks of owners

W69bird
06-14-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm in the market for a everyday driver car. I was thinking about the 05/06 GTO, great car but, I'm not in love with the look of the car. I do love the look of the late model Trans Am's and I have always been a Pontiac type of guy. So I'm starting to look at the 1999 - 2002 cars. Want to keep the purchase price around $25k or below, want to get a low milage car. Would love a anniversary car( 1999 or 2002), or a SLP car (Firehawk) but it looks like they go for more then I want to spend. So how are these cars as everyday drivers (I will be putting 70 miles a day on it)? Are there any thing I should stay away from (year, that type of thing). I would love it to be a convertable.

Also, want to show it at the local cruise night (Wyckoff NJ).

funrudy
06-14-2006, 12:15 PM
I have had my 01 T/A since March 01 as a daily driver. 100K on it and it still looks and plays like a 6 month old. You can never go wrong with this car! It still gets the looks, has the power and can be gotten for $12K-$18K range. Don't put too much effort in the Anniversary cars, you will pay a bit more for nothing special. (Unless it was an '89). The 94, 99 and 02 models (Yellowbird) all have their place but not as memorable. Be aware in the cold of winter, you need to warm up the engine (5 mins) before driving away. There is a known "issue" with Piston Slap on the LS1's in cold weather. Whichever 4th gen you end up with, you will not be disappointed! Edd

W69bird
06-14-2006, 12:32 PM
thanks for the info. Is the Firehawk version worth looking and searching for? How much more do you get with that option package?

Tru2Chevy
06-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I think the Firehawk looks better, and they are rated at 335hp, if I'm not mistaken.

- Justin

Untamed
06-15-2006, 11:11 AM
The Firehawks have hte advantage of good styling, plenty of power, and in some, the addition of race equipment like seats (and seat deletes) that can save you time and money if you have a dual purpose for the car. If all you are looking for is a daily driver, why spend more on an anniversary / special car?

The 98-02 Birds and Camaro's is probably the best way to go. My 97 bird had a 2nd gear start up for ice / snow traction (dunno about 98+), and the way people drive around here, you don't have to worry about driving too fast on highways since everything comes to a halt. They are comfortable, plenty of power, great styling and still have enough interior space for larger things since they are hatchbacks. They are plentyful enough with lots of aftermarket attention so you can get parts easily without spending loads on rarer cars like Firehawks.

Whatever you decide, you can probably find the exact combo of color and components you want since its been 4 years since the 02 model and people are moving on to other cars.

Good luck!

camaro2you
06-15-2006, 11:50 AM
my 98 z has 110k on the clock and still looks and runs like new!!!! just gotta find a car that was taken care of and these things will go and run for ever.

W69bird
06-15-2006, 01:01 PM
You guys are getting me excited about test driving one of these. I have never driven one (well not in about 30 years). I trying to see if any of the local dealers are selling one so I can find out if I like the ride. If you know of any that are for sale at any of the local lots let me know.