PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions

NP_00'T/A
06-15-2006, 10:39 PM
Ok so here is the deal.... My car has 33k miles on it and the tranny has been perfect! I mean it never slips it shifts hard and has shown no signs of wear.... until today. I brought it in to the shop for them to change all the fluids including dropping the trans pan and changing the filter/fluid. Now I get the car back and the thing slips out of gear and shift late/crapy like its its job! Now the problem is what do I do about it? I gave it back to the shop and they said they will look at it but really wtf could have they done to mess the tranny up just by changing the fluid? So if anyone has any suggestions i can pass along that would be great. I have the feeling tho they are going to tell me its screwed and stick me with a busted tranny.... So my next question is should I just get it fixed or should I go even father into the hole and get a built race tranny for ****s and giggles?

Sorry if this sounds sarcastic but i'm pretty damn pissed off right now.... I mean its one thing blowing a tranny while driving but the car wasn't even running so ugh.

BonzoHansen
06-15-2006, 10:49 PM
It might need a little more fluid.

NP_00'T/A
06-15-2006, 11:11 PM
First thing I did ... checked it like 10 times haha the fluid is there

qwikz28
06-15-2006, 11:17 PM
i wouldnt drive the car. have it towed to a professional.

Savage_Messiah
06-16-2006, 07:06 AM
it doesnt have too much fluid does it?

project89
06-16-2006, 10:13 AM
ive always been weary of changing trans fluid,ive seen countless cars with the trans fine,then they decide to change the fluid/filter,and right after the thing starts to slip

1QWIKBIRD
06-25-2006, 01:57 PM
Was the correct type of fluid used??? What made you decide to change the fluid, regular maintenance or an underlying problem??? Was the converter flushed? Did the simply drop the pan, replace the filter and send you on your way?? If it was fine prior to the service, then I'd take it back to the shop and ask WTF (in a nice way).

I agree with someoneone further down on the list on changing automatic tranny fluid. If there are no problems and the fluid hasn't been subjected to abuse (racing with a brake or lots high stall converter action, towing etc....) then sometimes it does more harm than good, don't know why. Hydraulic systems are kinda crazy like that. In fact, I had a commercial riding mower and the service manual said that more frequent fluid changes (than what was recommended) on the hydraulic drive system will not length service life, but could shorten it due to the increased possibility of contaiminants.

Chris

Ian
06-25-2006, 10:58 PM
with that few miles, changing the fluid wouldnt hurt it. my guess is that they didnt install the filter properly.

BMF
07-02-2006, 10:16 AM
If you decide to have it rebuilt, use STR in North Jersey. 1-973-579-2055

Steve's an excellent trans rebuilder, and does alot of street/strip and race transmissions.

His pricing is very competative.

With 33k miles i wouldnt expect it to be junk, more then likely what ian mentioned is problem. However a trans will put material in the fluid from the steels and frictions wearing, when the fluid is changed, all the material is gone and no longer helping the clutches grab.

Instead of accusing them of destroying your trans by changing the fluid, ask them nicely if there was alot of junk in the bottom of the pan.
If that was the case they should have mentioned it, but maybe the tech didnt think to.

qwikz28
07-02-2006, 11:47 PM
car looked fine on thursday

NP_00'T/A
07-04-2006, 02:59 PM
yea its ok now the shop took care of it for me sicne they broke it thank god

Tru2Chevy
07-05-2006, 01:00 PM
yea its ok now the shop took care of it for me sicne they broke it thank god

So what was the deal with it?

- Justin

foff667