PDA

View Full Version : Ignition and starter issues?

JPiZZiJP
06-18-2006, 05:12 PM
Okay... I've been having 2 problems lately and can't figure out what's wrong with my car. Anyone have an idea what is wrong:

1. Whenever it rains, or gets really humid out, my car won't start. It will crank, but it'll just continue to crank and not kick over. Once it stops raining, I have to wait a day or two for the car to "dry out" before it'll start again.

2. Sometimes the car just won't start at all... I thought it might be a starter issue, and that I need to install a new starter. I'll turn the key, and it'll just go "click". No cranking, just "click". I can do this over and over again repeatedly... "click click click click click" and nothing happens. Then I wait, and intermittently, it will decide to start.

Any idea guys? New plugs? New starter? I'm clueless here... and can't have my car intermittently not want to start.

camaro2you
06-18-2006, 05:42 PM
Starter most likely, what year is the car?

V
06-18-2006, 07:44 PM
most likely the click you are hearing is the starter engaging the gear out from the starter housing to mesh with the flywheel. however in your case the starter isnt spinning so its no doing anythign once its against the flywheel. I would suggest changing the starter to begin with and see if that lesser problem goes away, if it does, then see if the water issue got better, otherwise keep trouble shooting after that.

enRo
06-19-2006, 01:51 PM
:stupid:

If not, clean the battery terminals really good. My 86 TA did the same thing (except the whole raining thing) ... and i would have to clean them every month or so.

Tru2Chevy
06-19-2006, 03:01 PM
If not, clean the battery terminals really good. My 86 TA did the same thing (except the whole raining thing) ... and i would have to clean them every month or so.

Do this first to see if it helps. Also clean the auxilary power terminal if it has one. The aux. power terminal on my Lumina tends to corrode and cause this same issue. I'll often have to turn the key 2 or 3 times to start the car.

- Justin

84HOtransam
06-20-2006, 01:49 PM
check your battery as stated..make sure its not dead or low..

you could try to jump out the solinoid on the started if your feeling brave..

Savage_Messiah
06-22-2006, 11:16 PM
+1 for cleaning the battery terminals

JPiZZiJP
06-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Starter most likely, what year is the car?

95 z28..... anyone know how much a starter replacement will cost? parts and labor approx?

Tru2Chevy
06-23-2006, 11:55 AM
LT1 starters a between $150-$200, IIRC. I know they are a lot more expensive than a normal SBC starter.

Labor? Did you say labor? Joe, it's two bolts and a few wires. It'll take you 15 minutes tops....

- Justin

84HOtransam
06-23-2006, 12:08 PM
ill do the starter for 50 bucks plus parts...call my cell im available any weekday after 330 and all weekend....973-945-7422

bokey
06-25-2006, 12:11 AM
LT1 starters a between $150-$200, IIRC. I know they are a lot more expensive than a normal SBC starter.

Labor? Did you say labor? Joe, it's two bolts and a few wires. It'll take you 15 minutes tops....

- Justin

x2... I had the same issue when I had my truck with a new starter. I think, however, it could of been to a bad connection (since I was muddin' w/ it). Always do the most basic things first. As said above, clean the battery terminals and clean the connections on the starter then see what happens. If you are still having the same problem, instead of spending $150+ see if you can gank one from a junkyard.

JPiZZiJP
06-25-2006, 01:39 AM

- Justin
I'm overweight and too lazy to do any work on my car anymore. Don't **** with me lol. :P

Untamed
08-12-2006, 02:24 PM
2. Sometimes the car just won't start at all... I thought it might be a starter issue, and that I need to install a new starter. I'll turn the key, and it'll just go "click". No cranking, just "click". I can do this over and over again repeatedly... "click click click click click" and nothing happens. Then I wait, and intermittently, it will decide to start.

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm having a similar problem, only the car won't start at all. I have a new battery and new starter in there. Everything seems buttoned up pretty good. I cleaned the battery terminals. All the power comes on, aux lights, windows work, headlights work, etc. I hear the initial click when I turn the key and hear the fuel pump prime, but still no cranking.

I saw a previous thread about the fuses / line links or some such. I don't understand what line links are. I'll check the fuse box tomorrow, but would like some help understanding what could go wrong between the ignition switch in the steering column and the starter so that I can trouble shoot from one to the next until I find the problems.

Thanks a mil for the help guys. After 18 months I'm ready for this damn TA to start!

camaro2you
08-12-2006, 02:28 PM
possibly ur neutral saftey switch???

Untamed
08-12-2006, 02:35 PM
possibly ur neutral saftey switch???

Cool. Can you give me alittle direction as to where that is? I'm the noob enthusiast who's learning and getting his hands dirty so any descriptions / directions are awesome.

Thanks.

Tsar
08-12-2006, 02:36 PM

- Justin
mine was 212 i believe, im on my 3rd one :roll:

um..if you got small hands sure and your arms are flexiable, its a 15 minute job. but if you dont have fun jamming that thing in the small openning between ypipe and other ****. i bet 50 bucks it will take you more then 15 minutes.

WayFast84
08-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Cool. Can you give me alittle direction as to where that is? I'm the noob enthusiast who's learning and getting his hands dirty so any descriptions / directions are awesome.

Thanks.

do you have an alarm or something? My freind had the same problem and they said he hit a button with his foot or something.

Untamed
08-13-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks.

Yep that was it. Neutral safety switch was loose. Wiggled it, reseated it, and fired right up.

camaro2you
08-14-2006, 12:54 PM
good deal, that was what was up with mine when i first went to crank the starter over to see how things where and im like wtf, i looked in the console im like u know what i didnt wire up my mega shifter yet so i threw the stock shifter in off to the side so i could plug the harness in and shure enough it started to crank.

IcemanSS
08-15-2006, 05:51 PM
Yep sounds like a starter, switch issue, but also to be sure just to check the battery as well...