PDA

View Full Version : Windows wont go up or down??? 99 Buick Century 4 dr

foff667
07-20-2006, 06:36 PM
Aight here's my symptoms

1. All for windows will not go up or down period
2. doesnt matter which switch I use
3. All four worked fine with an occasional hiccup on the rear two until today
4. circuit breaker is fine(tested on power seats)
5. Drivers switch for the drivers window makes a buzzing noise when held in the down position
6. no other noises or whatnot from any of the other 6 switches for the other 3 windows

I'd like to say its just the drivers switch panel but why would none of the other 3 work on their respective windows? Thanks for any help you can provide.

lata
Bill

1QWIKBIRD
07-20-2006, 06:46 PM
Aight here's my symptoms

1. All for windows will not go up or down period
2. doesnt matter which switch I use
3. All four worked fine with an occasional hiccup on the rear two until today
4. circuit breaker is fine(tested on power seats)
5. Drivers switch for the drivers window makes a buzzing noise when held in the down position
6. no other noises or whatnot from any of the other 6 switches for the other 3 windows

I'd like to say its just the drivers switch panel but why would none of the other 3 work on their respective windows? Thanks for any help you can provide.

lata
Bill

does the car have a child saftey feature where you can shut off the controls to the other windows from the driver door switch? if so power to all the other doors is probably routed through the driver switch....maybe???

chris

V
07-20-2006, 07:31 PM
most likely its the drivers switch, basically that has control over everything and in many cases, main power for the other windows is run through the drivers switch. Change the drivers switch and i'm 99% sure thatll solve the problem.

Brando56894
07-20-2006, 08:12 PM
:werd:

im fixing my drivers side window motor now and i had the panel disconnected and is was lik wtf?? why wont the other side go down?? this is all i can say: check the fuses in the car, check the big ass ones under the hood, then rip the door panel off and start testin ****. thats what my dad and i are doing...

foff667
07-20-2006, 08:26 PM
most likely its the drivers switch, basically that has control over everything and in many cases, main power for the other windows is run through the drivers switch. Change the drivers switch and i'm 99% sure thatll solve the problem.

yeah someone on clubgp said thats the main one and if that goes all the other goes...I guess I'll just get that tomorrow then. Thanks guys

foff667
07-20-2006, 08:27 PM
:werd:

im fixing my drivers side window motor now and i had the panel disconnected and is was lik wtf?? why wont the other side go down?? this is all i can say: check the fuses in the car, check the big ass ones under the hood, then rip the door panel off and start testin ****. thats what my dad and i are doing...

yeah I checked all the fuses & relays already & all were fine...hopefully its just the drivers switch panel.

qwikz28
07-21-2006, 12:14 AM
question: a shorted wire somewhere would ultimately short a fuse right? so that would pretty much cancel that out?

Ian
07-22-2006, 08:43 AM
question: a shorted wire somewhere would ultimately short a fuse right? so that would pretty much cancel that out?

a shorted wire will pop the fuse about 90% of the time.

foff667
07-24-2006, 01:51 PM
well the new one worked to get them up and down again, but then they wouldnt go back up :( off to my mechanic :lol:

Ian
07-24-2006, 05:16 PM
possibly the connector that plugs into the back of the switch. sometimes wires work themselves loose and you have to wiggle the wires to get it to work.

foff667
07-24-2006, 06:49 PM
yeah...i know its a wiring issue of some sort but a. I suck at wiring b. I suck at wiring c. i played with the connector a bit, it didnt work, so I gave up lol...hopefully its a short/cheap fix for my sake. Odd though that the new one worked as soon as I plugged it in and then died within a couple of cycles of the windows...literally it was up, down, Ut oh broke again? :lol: so im wondering if it killed another switch panel...if so theres obviously a more in depth problem then Im capable of fixing which is what it seems to me like at this point.

qwikz28
07-24-2006, 07:05 PM
do you remember which was the last switch you hit before it died? maybe theres a short in that specific switch and that thats what fried it

foff667
07-24-2006, 08:11 PM
drivers side front if im not mistaken...:shrug: like I said its at my mechanics now...im done with it :lol:

enRo
07-31-2006, 08:02 PM
I coulda refered you to www.buickFTL.edu ... (not a real site) :lol:

89 Trans Am WS6
08-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Bill alot of times the wires in the door go bad.

Not "in" the door..but yanno the black rubber boot that goes from the door to the body of the car..that you can see if you look in the door jam. Alot of time the wires in there break apart. What prolly happened was the new switch didnt fix it, but unplugging/moving the harness opening/closing the door brushed the wires back together..

If thats the case the wire doesnt hafta be fully broken..just internally, and you usually end up finding the break with a test light. ;x

We'll see if thats what it was.

NJSPEEDER
08-06-2006, 01:21 PM
if it has the child safety switch on the drivers door then that switch panel is your problem. all the power goes through that circuit, so it that switch set goes bad the whoel system get's f'ed.

foff667
08-10-2006, 01:24 PM
FWIW it was one of the wires in the door...fixed.