PDA

View Full Version : flywheel & clutch questions.

Tsar
07-30-2006, 12:27 PM
so um...im gonna be buying those shorty so i gotta ask something. can flywheel and cluch be from different companies? example spec flywheel with ram clutch? common sense tells me yes but common sense has failed me before. :???:

Also most likely ill be buying a billet steel flywheel but would there be any benefit for me to sheel out extra couple hundred bucks for and aluminum one? i mean they go thru the revs quicker cuz they weigh less, but is there anything else that would make me wanna pay 400 bucks for one?

Thanks.

V
07-30-2006, 12:32 PM
I would safely say you could mix and match MOST flywheels and clutch setups, but some clutches have certian recommendations, ie. my ram HD clutch says to only use with a nodular iron(factory style/explosion resistant) flywheel, after i saw that, i tossed my spec billet one(which was worn down a lot) and dug out my stocker which only had 10k miles on it, and had that resurfaced and now i'm ready to go.

deadtrend1
07-30-2006, 12:51 PM
paul pretty much hammered it.

I just had my stock flywheel cut, and tossed in the zoom clutch and i was good to go.

Tsar
07-30-2006, 02:12 PM
does ram make a flywheel specifically for my car? they got a **** load of them there but their search system is retarded so im having a hard time finding one :lol: i'd buy spec flywheel and spec clutch but spec sucks (ive heard way more bad things then good) so i dont wanna.

deadtrend1
07-30-2006, 03:25 PM
i wouldn't say spec sucks just by hearsay. Their customer service was great it was thunder racing that was jerking me around. So props to them for that.

I just wont buy their products again or at last awhile cause of the fact that a brand new pressure plate that they put their name on and endorsed was machined so poorly that it costed me a whole days work of pulling it back out of the car, time to troubleshoot and find out it was their error, and money for shipping it back to them that I (ME, myself for their screw up) had to pay for.

It was the first time I used a product through them, and by bad luck it gave me nothing but grieff. Try them, when they work properly they are great according to everyone else....

j0n
07-30-2006, 06:39 PM
imo you only need a new flywheel if you've already cut it once or you want to road race and need an aluminum one

fyi mine cost 40 bucks to have it cut at thul

Batman
07-31-2006, 06:26 AM
Only thing to look for is some of the flywheels come with studs for the pressure plate (like the ram). Not a big deal either way, just need to make sure you have the right hardware. I would SUGGEST getting them from the same company though. Physically they will all fit and should be fine but they may be balanced differently depending on the pressure plate and could cause excessive wear. I've had a Z06, RAM, Spec and centerforce clutch and depending on power levels I have to give the centerforce a nod for the best all around clutch. The RAM was the strongest but hard to live with on the road with a 910 disc and the Spec Stage 3 was just junk.

Tsar
07-31-2006, 03:06 PM
ohh wow everyone here talks crap about centerforce, you're the first one who said something good. damn it its getting harder, i should've just bought then asked questions :lol: like i always do...

johnjzjz
07-31-2006, 05:18 PM
an alloy flywheel at the race track requires a scatter shield they do come apart jz