PDA

View Full Version : Starter Shim

Untamed
07-31-2006, 12:47 PM
I forgot to post this yesterday.

I pulled my old starter and had it tested - toast. So I bought a new one and went to put it in, only to find out the short (recessed) bolt doesn't line up with the bolt hole. The folks at Autozone said the starter is the correct one for my car, but the bolt hole don't line up.

My old starter did not have a shim, however Haynes mentions having a shim for some models. Does it sound like I need a shim, or do I have the wrong starter? The long bolt marries up to the bolt hole just fine, it's just the short bolt that doesnt line up.

V
07-31-2006, 04:43 PM
a shim is only like less than an 1/16th inch thick and just used to space the starter down if the starter gear to flywheel mesh is too tight. A shim will not make it bolt up if the holes dont line up already.

did you compare your old one and new one side by side? im pretty sure they gave you the wrong starter, go back and have them open a box for another, probably it got mis-boxed

89 Trans Am WS6
08-08-2006, 07:15 PM
Yep, you got the wrong starter. go get the right one..
You wouldnt beleive how many times things are boxed wrong.

HardcoreZ28
08-08-2006, 09:05 PM
Wrong starter. If you're taking it back ask for one out of an LT1 car...it's a high torque mini starter and bolts right up...might need a shim but that's it.

The Fixer
08-08-2006, 10:09 PM
Wrong starter. If you're taking it back ask for one out of an LT1 car...it's a high torque mini starter and bolts right up...might need a shim but that's it.

You might need a shorter bolt for one side depending on what starter you currently have, but +1 for the LT1 starter! I love mine! I got a rebuilt one for under $120 after the core charge.

Untamed
08-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah thanks guys. Got the starter bolted up finally. Just had to go medieval on the plastic shroud around the flywheel. :hammer: