PDA

View Full Version : Water pump pulley...RAIII and RAIV the same?

Iguana Man
08-13-2006, 02:30 PM
Gotta a question for those familiar with the early RA3/4 motors. My power steering belt squeeks a little until she's driven down the road a bit. My mechanic swapped out the belt, but noticed that the pulley on the water pump 'may' be different than the other pullys in repsect to the shape of the groove where the belt sits.

The car is a 70 1/2 RAIV block (service replacement) and all the rest is RAIII.

Is it possible the WP pully isn't matching the groove style of the rest of the pullys?

Hope this makes sense...it is Sunday afternoon and all...and that means:

:cheers:

TIA!

BonzoHansen
08-13-2006, 08:13 PM
I wonder how many of the youngins around here even know what a RA3 or RA4 is. :laugh:

Try poking around www.transamcounty.com There is a pretty good pontiac site out there, but I can't think of it right now.

I don't think the motor itself matters. I would imagine all the accessories were swapped. But that was also a long time ago. I'd check belt tension, pully angles.

Where are you and do you do any work yourself?

NJSPEEDER
08-14-2006, 09:34 PM
as long as the belt is sitting fully in the groove it shouldn't matter how deep the V is. as far as i know all poncho's use the same pump and pulley set up, at least i don't see any differences in any of the reference stuff i have here.
service part numbers are even the same.

WildBillyT
08-14-2006, 10:00 PM
Your pulleys may be ever-so-slightly bent. Did you check them? Do they look out of shape when they are spinning? I chased a very similar problem.

Iguana Man
08-15-2006, 04:41 AM
I'll recheck the pulleys....thanks guys.