PDA

View Full Version : Cheap and effective CAI for LT1

jaysz2893
08-21-2006, 10:46 AM
First off this goes ou to the dude at the nats with the busted intake.I think tim said it was squirrel. I was gonna race, but i didnt have long pants and got told i couldnt. I went looking fo ya to lend ya my pipe, but u guess you went to Lowes. Any luck with the pipe?
For those who do not know, Lowes has 3 inch Electrical conduit that makes a perfect intake for lt1 cars. I picked up 10+ rwhp over stock box with mine. I was gonna make them and sell them on ebay, but i am too honest of a person to do that. Without the K&N i got for mine, it was 10 bucks for the pipe and paint. I have a 1993 so it has no MAF(Speed density FTW!), but it will work with a MAF usng a silicon hose piece. It can be trimmed with a sawzall and is absolutly smooth inside.
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/TheKeenans/DVC00323.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y136/TheKeenans/DVC00322.jpg
It looks stock, and it put the filter outside the engine bay. I want to make a block off plate like SLP intake, but have not had the time. It does clear the hood and the radiator on my car with no issues. If ou have a trick-flow or ssome other hard elbow you will need to have a flexable piece between the intake nad the elbow. THe stock rubber elbow has enough flex to accomodate the install. a 1LE elbow is a great compliment to this piece.
Just thought i would post this for all of us poor LT1 owners. LOL

The Fixer
08-21-2006, 10:58 AM
Whoa, their 3" pipe comes in that length, with the elbow in it???? Or did you have to do some massive fabricating to make that smooth?? I'm very interested in doing this mod, I need a nicer 3" intake for my TPI setup.

jaysz2893
08-21-2006, 11:27 AM
It comes that way, only grey in color. Check in Electrical aisle with te conduit. Should be in the fittings part of the aisle. is a 3 inch Long 90 degre elbow. is 3.5 inch OD, so you need a filter to slip over that. You can hack off the bell or just add a short piece of 3 inch pipe to the beel and clamp the filter there. Should work nice n TPI car too. I was goin to make one for a 3rd gen camaro, but he went strath ram with ss style hood and modified SS air box

Squirrel
08-21-2006, 12:52 PM
na me and craig didnt have any luck, we were walkin around that place for a good half hour before we said **** it and went to applebee's lol...guess ill have to go shopping around here

enRo
08-21-2006, 01:08 PM
Um... I kinda realized I was wearing shorts and racing yesterday :lol: O well. Looks good!

Squirrel
08-21-2006, 03:49 PM
jay, is there any way you can get an item # for it?...i looked online at every store around heres inventory and its giving me nothing

jaysz2893
08-21-2006, 03:54 PM
yeah, i gotta go there tomorrow AM. I will get a part number and price. I do have one alredy painted and drilled for the IAC sittin in my garage if you cant find one. Is probally more to ship it than it is worth

The Fixer
08-21-2006, 04:42 PM
yeah, i gotta go there tomorrow AM. I will get a part number and price.

Please do, I gotta get one to experiment with!

jaysz2893
08-23-2006, 04:48 PM
Here is the part number and price. Apparently it has gonae up a bit, like everything that needs Oil to make. Good luck, and feel free to ask me any questions.

It is PN UA9ALB-CT

Item# 145053

Model # UA9ALB-CAR

Manufacturer is Carlon

Squirrel
08-23-2006, 06:10 PM
sweet, thanks a lot man
too bad the 4 closest ones to home dont have it and the one near school doesnt have it either lol

jaysz2893
08-23-2006, 06:51 PM
i am currently trying to get them direct form Carlon. Will let ya know. I do have one in the garage too. Make me an offer.. LOL

NJSPEEDER
08-24-2006, 06:39 PM
taht piece of tubing is actually electrical conduit. look in the rough electrical department of you local lowes store. :)

Tru2Chevy
08-25-2006, 08:48 AM
taht piece of tubing is actually electrical conduit. look in the rough electrical department of you local lowes store. :)

He said that in the first post, and Eric has already tried the item # in several local Lowes stores, and they don't have it.

- Justin

Squirrel
08-25-2006, 10:31 AM
He said that in the first post, and Eric has already tried the item # in several local Lowes stores, and they don't have it.

- Justin
tim picked me one up yesterday...jay, did you have trouble fitting the elbow over the pipe?

jaysz2893
08-25-2006, 11:30 AM
tim picked me one up yesterday...jay, did you have trouble fitting the elbow over the pipe?

Nope, you may need to stretch it a bit to the drivers side a bit. I found it easier to clamp it to the elbow first and then stuff the filter end through the hole. Oh, you may want to make a L bracket to fasten the pipe to the body near the filter.