PDA

View Full Version : intake manifold fabrication question

V
09-05-2006, 02:45 AM
Ok, let me start of by saying, all this is just an idea as of right now, if it wont work, it wont work, im just seeing if its possible/feasible...lol...

Ok anyways...now for the idea... I want to fabricate a dual throttle body intake manifold setup. I would be using the lower part of an oem 2 part manifold. So that way, all the openings that line up to the heads will be right on. The lower manifold has just one common chamber, not individual runners that need to be matched up to. The upper part of the manifold would be "created" out of 2 oem 3.4v6 manifolds(one side would be cut off and the TB would be forward off to the side) The TBs would be 2 stock 3.4V6 units. As for the one reason for the dual TB induction, it would be a twin turbo setup consisting of 2 smaller size turbos, instead of the single oem one.... all i need to make sure is that the one TB will give the same TPS reading as the oem one and then i would think the 2nd TB would need no electrical connection other than maybe the IAC motor. I mainly want to look into doing a setup like this just to be DIFFERENT. i'd like any opinions from anyone whos input is legit and not just worthless comments.

attached is a ROUGH image i chopped together to give an idea of the upper manifold setup i have in mind.

Batman
09-05-2006, 07:06 AM
I think you could do it but it would proably run like ass. Companies spend years designing manifolds I just don't see it working well. Open like that it may make decent top end power but low end would be non-existent. I also think there would be so much turbulence it wouldn't flow well into the heads. Definately would look cool!

V
09-05-2006, 11:48 AM
hmm yeah i didnt really think about the turbulence issue.

BTW, This is the stock lower manifold
http://i12.ebayimg.com/04/i/08/41/1c/e2_1.JPG

and this is a little revised "upper" i have in mind....

Batman
09-05-2006, 01:55 PM
It's a very cool idea, just don't know if it would work.

NJSPEEDER
09-05-2006, 05:28 PM
it would prolly be easier and more pratical to use just the flange, floor, and water passages from the original.
think of it more a a dual tube design, some thing like the banks high power intakes and the viper use. a long tube with down leads into the ports.
i would also suggest you rotate the throttle bodies 90degrees so that the bell cranks are at the top. it will greatly reduce teh compexity of the linkage needed.
are you looking for an all out power set up or more of a progressive control for economy and power?
with a pair of smaller tb's you could see a major increase in flow, using a progressive linkage on an open plenum intake, like you suggested in the pictures, could allow you to program the engine a bit leaner at cruising loads and add a boat load of economy.
with a twin tube set up you can take advantage of the increased volume of only feeding one bank at a time and still maintain high air velocity with a properly sized TB. if you go with a seoperate tube for each bank you would definately need some sort of balance port between the two.
the open plenum design woudl have a turbulance issue to some degree. at higher air velocities(higher rpm), you would get a major pulse draw in that huge open area. a cam with more overlap would help as it sort of fades out the draw pulse instead of having spikes in draw from cyl to cyl. that would however cost you a lot of drivability and any chance at fuel economy.

[/A.D.D. nerd ramblings]

angin52
09-05-2006, 07:32 PM
ditto