PDA

View Full Version : remove lower timing chain sprocket

WayFast84
09-10-2006, 09:27 AM
How do I remove the lower timing chain sprocket? I forgot I had a brand new timing chain for my engine and Im going to be putting it back together for now and I cant get the lower timing chain sprocket off.

thanks

angin52
09-10-2006, 10:33 AM
best done with a puller, i have done it with a pry bar but it can get ugly

WayFast84
09-10-2006, 10:35 AM
wtf I tryed using the new top sprocket and chain and the same thing happens,

I can get it on both then on the tab thing but it wont line up to ANY holes the chains like to short, but the stock one worked fine and its the same thing

BonzoHansen
09-10-2006, 09:33 PM
You need a puller - they come off w/o too much drama.

Tru2Chevy
09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Use a puller to remove the lower sprocket, then put the new one on. Wrap the chain around that, and then around the upper sprocket. Then set the upper sprocket in place on the cam, and bolt it to the cam. Make sure that you have it all lined up properly (dot to dot)....

- Justin

Pampered-Z
09-11-2006, 01:29 PM
You need a proper puller, I will suggest a 3 fingered puller as the two fingers are not as versital. MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT RUN THE PULLER BOLT INTO THE CRANK AND SCREW UP THE THREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you do you'll trash the crank!

When you install the new gear DO NOT BEAT IT ON! If you do you'll trash the crank or bearings! You heat it and slide it on ( wear fire proof gloves )

As I stated in other threads you should invest in a book on how to build a SBC so you know the proper way of doing work on them!

WayFast84
09-11-2006, 03:20 PM
can I just use the stock sprockets then?

But I still cant get the timing chain around both and bolted up!! I almost go it today but then I realized I didnt have three hands. the next try it fell off. this might be a good thing that I cant get it on see a different thread..

Pampered-Z
09-12-2006, 09:16 AM
can I just use the stock sprockets then?

But I still cant get the timing chain around both and bolted up!! I almost go it today but then I realized I didnt have three hands. the next try it fell off. this might be a good thing that I cant get it on see a different thread..

NO, you don't install a new chain on a old rear. Do it the right way, GO BUY A PULLER!

BonzoHansen
09-12-2006, 10:13 AM
You can borrow/rent them from autozone.

Go buy this book:
http://www.ecklers.com/images/vette/A4004.jpg

Barnes & Noble probably has it on the shelf.

WayFast84
09-12-2006, 10:20 AM
You can borrow/rent them from autozone.

Go buy this book:
http://www.ecklers.com/images/vette/A4004.jpg

Barnes & Noble probably has it on the shelf.
barnes and noble has ****y car books, Ill ask my sister to check when she goes to work tomorrow. Ill also see if I can return one book that I bought BIG mistake, its all about fords and mopars :lol:

deadtrend1
09-14-2006, 04:20 PM
barnes and noble has ****y car books, Ill ask my sister to check when she goes to work tomorrow. Ill also see if I can return one book that I bought BIG mistake, its all about fords and mopars :lol:

read it before you return it. Its the same princile .... fuel + Air is compressed and a spark it introduced into the mix causing conbustion yada yada yada. ....... worse that can happen is you waste some spare time and learn something

WayFast84
09-14-2006, 06:52 PM
I did its all like compiled car build ups..their was one thing about superchargers I leanred something.

WildBillyT
09-18-2006, 12:53 PM

The book mentioned above is a must have. You don't have to go to a book store to get it. I got mine at Car Parts (now Autozone) in Flemington.