PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to put a LS6 intake on?

98tadriver
09-12-2006, 04:53 PM
i bought a new LS6 intake with everything i need to install it.

how long would it take to change intakes?

im a pretty good backyard mechanic

changed my clutch in 5 hrs from time it was on the lift until it was running

changed rears before in a few hours

Sphinx
09-12-2006, 07:20 PM
its hard..... physically impossible....might take a few months.... hahahaha

NJSPEEDER
09-12-2006, 07:23 PM
lol

it isn't too bad. only thing to watch for is that there is an oil pressure thing on the back of the block i think. it is easily cracked. i am pretty sure we broke it during the disassembly for foff's head and cam swap.

98tadriver
09-12-2006, 09:38 PM
alrighty. it just looked confusing and complicated with all of those wires and fuel rails and injectors there. if i disconnect the fuel line, i can pop the intake off with all of that crap stilll on right? and then put all of it on the new one?

V
09-12-2006, 10:55 PM
tomorrow ill post pics of my intake, since it isnt bolted on yet, plus the motor is outta the car so you can see whats behind it that you need to work with.

foff667
09-13-2006, 02:13 AM
most experienced shops can do the swap in under an hour so take it fwiw...you'll have some scraped hands and you'll want an extra set of hands doing it but its not too bad.

98tadriver
09-13-2006, 05:10 AM
good deal. thanks fellas. maybe i will put it on saturday after i finish breakin in my clutch

foff667
09-13-2006, 08:00 AM
definitly have an extra set of hands when you actually get to the removal part as some of the bolts dont come out you'll need someone to hold them up while you pull it foward.

ChickenLittle
09-13-2006, 08:30 AM
it's not that hard...once you disconnect the fuel lines, you can leave the throtle body and PCV hoses connected, just follow the hoses from behind the intake, towards the driver's side until you find the first joint you can reach and pop it off there...it save time of trying to disonnect and reconnect it on the intake in the car....just my humble opinion. took my intake off in 10 minutes (with air) when i did my gaskets...

swapping the parts once the intake is off is easy and straightforward.

when you take the coolant lines under the intake off, be careful not to lose the 4 little (gaskets?) that sit under the ends that screw down...they either stay on the ends or the heads, so make sure you find them before continuing...

did you get the new coolant lines as well? the ones that run under the LS1 intake do not fit under the LS6..

ok, that's enough rambling from me, hope it was some help...:mrgreen:

98tadriver
09-13-2006, 04:18 PM
yep! got the new coolant crossover line and plugs as well.