PDA

View Full Version : Katana Problems

Sphinx
09-12-2006, 07:30 PM
Is anyone on this board good with working on old bikes? im talking 90, carbs and crap.

I have a 1990 katana 600. I rode it for about 3 months... since i got my motorcycle license. And suddenly one day she is not running right. She is only running on two cylinders. Or at least that is what it seems. Sounds like a dirt bike, and blows alot of white smoke out the exhaust. She wont idle, but once i put the seat on and ran her down the road once u get passed 6 grand she would fly.. but it was a pain in the ass getting there. I replaced all the spark plugs, got a tip that it could be the coils, so i got two new coils and still not working. I had the carbs off and cleaned them and still nothing. I have no idea what the problem is.

ANY IDEA on what to do next is greatly apprecciated.

98tadriver
09-12-2006, 09:33 PM
THe problem is --- Its a katana lol

put it on ebay and get money!

on a more serious note, could the carbs be out of sync? or maybe the magneto or something is messed up

V
09-12-2006, 11:42 PM
how do the plugs look? try cleaning them and running it under 5k, then chekc them, see if all are firing, if not then you at leats know with which cylinders to start troubleshooting. if seperate coils, try swappign them around and seeing if the plugs show any new use or such.

Where are you located? if not too far maybe i can stop by onc ei get back from OBX and take a look at it. My first bike was an 88 ninja, then i had a jetted 91 zx6d ninja, and a 99 cbr600f4, ALL of those were carb'd. Most bikes only went to FI in 2001-2003

EDIT: BTW, POST 5000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sphinx
09-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Well i live in Pemberton NJ, in Burlington County. If that is "close" enough i can just pm u my address if the ride seems possible.

Honestly, i put the plugs in and after a quick ride down hte street they were black as hell on the tips. Could that help?