PDA

View Full Version : Gas smell?

97Formula
09-15-2006, 05:49 AM
Not sure if this is normal, but I was working under the hood and happened to have my nose near the three gas lines coming out of the driver side shock tower, and the lines smelled like gas (though I had to be really close to them to smell the gas). The smell was more apparent toward the plastic tube that holds the lines in place (near the air filter box). Are these lines fragile? I did not see or notice any liquid. It is garaged and I don't smell any strong fuel odor while I'm in the garage. Only when I get close enough to the gas lines.

Is this normal (since gas does flow through them)? Or do I have a problem? Car runs great and there is no SES light at this time. Thanks!

r0nin89
09-15-2006, 07:08 AM
A crash course in leaking gas that I personally learned is that your stock lines suck. For the 50 bucks it would be very worth it to replace your lines from the last joint with flex lines. Get a fire exstinguisher and play it safe. I've seen pictures of beutiful cars burning down to the ground because they didnt have a $30 extinguisher... Your problem is most likely nothing at all to tell you the truth. Gas runs through those lines everyday and it wouldnt suprise me the joints smell like that. Best bet is to monitor it but if you cant smell it in your vents its probably not leaking.

JSPERFORMANCE
09-15-2006, 07:54 AM
Yes, those lines are fragile.. Give them a thorough inspection. You may not see any actual wet areas but a hairline crack can cause a leak that will just look like vapor coming out of the line. Pull the sheathing off of the lines and check them out from head to toe..

97Formula
09-16-2006, 09:43 AM
A crash course in leaking gas that I personally learned is that your stock lines suck. For the 50 bucks it would be very worth it to replace your lines from the last joint with flex lines. Get a fire exstinguisher and play it safe. I've seen pictures of beutiful cars burning down to the ground because they didnt have a $30 extinguisher... Your problem is most likely nothing at all to tell you the truth. Gas runs through those lines everyday and it wouldnt suprise me the joints smell like that. Best bet is to monitor it but if you cant smell it in your vents its probably not leaking.
I have an appointment with the dealer Wednesday. Or am I better off taking it to a local repair shop or gas station repair shop? Where can I get the flex lines that fit my car? And is it difficult to do myself? Thanks.

Yes, those lines are fragile.. Give them a thorough inspection. You may not see any actual wet areas but a hairline crack can cause a leak that will just look like vapor coming out of the line. Pull the sheathing off of the lines and check them out from head to toe..
What is the sheathing? Is that the big plastic tube with yellow caution labels? Thanks.

JSPERFORMANCE
09-16-2006, 07:00 PM
yes the tube with the labels..

97Formula
09-22-2006, 06:51 PM
Left it with the dealer. Dealer said they do not smell anything bad, and said nothing was leaking. Still no SES light, and they didn't even charge me anything for the fuel system inspection. Maybe it is normal for the lines to smell like gas when you're really close to them. Smell is not any worse after running for a while.

97Formula
09-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Even though the dealer said there is no problem here, I still have my doubts. See the picture, the arrow points to where I smell some gas. I don't smell anywhere on the plastic tube that holds all three lines except at the opening near the fuse box. Anyone else with an LT1 able to help me? I still don't have a SES light, and the car still runs fantastic with no sputtering, stalling, or hesitation, even at WOT. Thanks! (click here to see what I'm talking about (http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=75914))

r0nin89
09-26-2006, 07:49 AM
I couldnt tell you about Lt/Ls 1's but I know that on a sbc they sell generic lines (the braided looking ones with red and blue adaptors) that you can replace the lines with from the last joint. Call up your local parts shop and ask them. Its still on my to do list :-/