PDA

View Full Version : mechanical<elecrtic speedo!

WayFast84
09-19-2006, 02:46 PM
I need a list of parts to swap a Mechanical speedo to an electrical speedo, as well as a 85+ console.

I dont want dummy lights any more! and I got a steal on a 140 mph 6k tach all the gauges the complete dash and a incomplete console.

WildBillyT
09-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Is your trans mechanical or electrical?

deadtrend1
09-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Find someone with the VSS from a 700R4 for sale. Swap the speedo gears from your old one onto it.

chrisfrom nj
09-19-2006, 06:13 PM
i got gauge clusters one from a 88 gta with 25,000 miles and a few formula/trans am ones allso

Tru2Chevy
09-19-2006, 09:34 PM
This should answer all of your questions Matt: http://www.hioutput.com/tech/speedo.html

This is the site I found when I was looking up the swap for a friend (that's how I knew you needed that little yellow box).

- Justin

WayFast84
09-20-2006, 05:38 PM
This should answer all of your questions Matt: http://www.hioutput.com/tech/speedo.html

This is the site I found when I was looking up the swap for a friend (that's how I knew you needed that little yellow box).

- Justin
:omg: that looks a tad over my abliity wires+matt=zippzapbang BOOM

edit, I might not even swap it, I didnt realize it was a different color then my stock one, and theirs no way I could paint that and mkae it look good!

deadtrend1
09-26-2006, 05:49 PM
:omg: that looks a tad over my abliity wires+matt=zippzapbang BOOM

edit, I might not even swap it, I didnt realize it was a different color then my stock one, and theirs no way I could paint that and mkae it look good!

pulling out the dash is easier then you think. I was overwhelmed by the amount of wires under the dash, but when I got in there to work, its not that much.

Unplug the steering column plugs, a few weatherpacks on the drivers side, and most of the wires go to the doors which you leave alone, and that fuse junction back that you leave alone. I did 2 when I swapped out the GTA to the TA and put it all back together in the course of 2 hour ish...i think. maybe less