PDA

View Full Version : How much money should someone ask for a part they are selling

97ws6
09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
I have been buying and selling parts on this forum,and a few others, for about 2 years now. What i am looking for is some feedback from you guys on what you think a fair price for something is.

1 A new part that someone is selling that they never put on.
In my mind that part is worth 80% maximum, of todays costs including shipping. One you get no warranty with it, you are paying cash, not credit card, if there is a problem your stuck with it, and how many times is it advertised new, but was on the car already.

2 A used part, i suppose it depends on the demand, but in my mind, its only worth about 50% of todays costs including shipping.

I was surfing another forum today, and a guy has a new set of Richmand gears for sale, for $159 plus shipping. I found them on Summit brand new for $179, and EBAY FOR $159. ARE THESE PEOPLE CRAZY, who is going to pay the same price as a new set costs, plus shipping? Guys my advise is to educate yourself via EBAY,Summit or Jegs before buying anything, there are a lot of new parts out there for about the same price people are asking for used.

Untamed
09-19-2006, 08:18 PM
Its the laws of the auction - offer it high then come down in price when necessary. Try to get the maximum for it first. *shrugs* That's common sense. But I also agree that people should do their homework first and figure out what the market (buyers) are willing to pay then price it accordingly. If eBay is selling something for a price then at least match that - either way the buyers are getting something that is only represented in pictures and a description that is built mostly on opinion.

Get the most out of what buyers are willing to pay. Those who just want the stuff gone will price below everyone else.

97ws6
09-19-2006, 08:30 PM
Its not that i think everybody should be low balling. But you have to be realistic, even on EBAY, if you use paypal, and get burned, you have some recourse, and you can leave negative feedback. The way i look at this forum is ,that its here for all of us to help each other out. In my mind that means not trying to make a profit on everything we sell. Its not a business, its a support forum for F-Body enthusiasts.

WildBillyT
09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Its not that i think everybody should be low balling. But you have to be realistic, even on EBAY, if you use paypal, and get burned, you have some recourse, and you can leave negative feedback. The way i look at this forum is ,that its here for all of us to help each other out. In my mind that means not trying to make a profit on everything we sell. Its not a business, its a support forum for F-Body enthusiasts.

Honestly, you will get whatever someone is willing to pay. Since this is a club charging top dollar prices may not really foster the helping-each-other-out mentality but if you don't like what someone is asking then just don't pay it. They will get the message.

On Ebay all bets are off. Especially if it is a rare part ('69 Crossram setup as an example).

Savage_Messiah
09-19-2006, 11:32 PM
keep in mind that ebay = 237423984 people bidding with 3 seconds left and skyjackign the price in hopes of beating everyone else to it before the auction closes

GP99GT
09-20-2006, 07:09 AM
i just sold a used part for 80% of what it costs new...granted, its a stainless steel downpipe, so its not really used. but still i got $145 and its $180 new

Pampered-Z
09-20-2006, 07:13 AM
I think it also depends on how badly you want to get rid of the stuff as well as who's buying it. I have a bunch of stock parts like a complete stock exhaust from a 97TA that I'd basically give away, Other parts that I paid allot for I'm much firmer on the price. If I don't get the price it just stays in the garage and maybe one day I'll use it on a different project?

I've also dropped prices for guys on this board because they are club members or if we can make the deal in porson, taking the hassle of shipping or person wanting to return it is worth dropping the price a bit as well.

Myself, I've had better luck dealing on the boards then with E-bay so I rarely go looking on there for parts.

BonzoHansen
09-20-2006, 07:17 AM
They should ask what people are willing to pay...

You should see the prices old NOS GM parts fetch now. Or even used rare parts.

foff667
09-20-2006, 07:20 AM
I've seen people pay more then what a part cost's new on ebay so thats a bad example...some people look at ebay as gambling...i mean its kinda "I have to win" mentality in alot of cases and people will bid & bid until they do in most cases. As far as new parts go i rarely buy them, they still havent lost enough value in most cases for people to take any reasonable offer for them. Used parts I've gotten for as little as 5-10% of their origonal value.

Bottom line is parts come in alll shapes colors & sizes...their sellers are the same and from one seller to the next you'll find huge differences in how they handle transactions, depending on how long they've had the part, what their current use for it now is, if they desperitly need the money or not, etc.

JL8Jeff
09-20-2006, 07:22 AM
I've been able to sell stuff on both the boards and Ebay. Don't use logic when looking at Ebay auctions, it will make you crazy. For example, I found a couple of guys on Ebay selling what they call NOS fan clutches from GM. They start them at $110. I take the part # they list, go to GMpartsdirect.com and it pops up for $65! And there are actually people buying them on Ebay for $110 or more! Buying parts locally you can still use Paypal if both parties agree but it's easier to deal in cash. But buying a new part locally doesn't mean it's only worht 80% of new from some other place. First off, you save on shipping and probably tax if it's from a board member. 2nd, you can probably go get the part and have it that day where it would take several days getting from the web. And it's not worth trying to tell someone they are priced too high. Just tell them if they come down to your price you're willing to pay to give you a shout.