PDA

View Full Version : My Hands...

ar0ck
09-24-2006, 02:53 PM
...Were never ment to touch the engine of a car...

The motor as of Friday night:
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/alexQTP/carrs010copy.jpg

Everythings bolted up and connected but it refuses to start. So its begining to become more complicated every day we try. At first we figure the timing was off. I didn't relize that we didn't set the valve lash properly, so we set that today and made more progress in the cranking part. It defenitly sounds good, but for some reason it just refuses to start. Were leaning towards a failed fuel pump at this point. Were getting spark though thats for sure. Also we keep fighting a dead battery to boot! I've officially given up, I hate this car. It has fought us every step of the way!

F' those people with the bet too!

BigAls87Z28
09-24-2006, 03:00 PM
Ok, well try to cut it down. Try a new battery or use a jump-pack to help start it.
Make sure you are getting fuel to the rails, check pressure on start up.

ar0ck
09-24-2006, 03:05 PM
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/alexQTP/th_carrs012.jpg (http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e33/alexQTP/?action=view&current=carrs012.flv)

This video is from Saturday, it sounds alot better today since we set the Intake/Exhaust valves.

camaro2you
09-24-2006, 03:23 PM
hard for me to tell havent delt with lt1's yet but it sounds like a fuel issue, if timing was way off you would be bacfiring to all hell when trying to start.

NJSPEEDER
09-24-2006, 03:25 PM
i think al is right with the jump pack or battery. in the video it sounds like it is cranking very slow.
when you turn the key do you hear the pump prime? there should be a schrader valve with a black cap on it somewhere on the fuel line, turn the key to the run position and juswt tap it with a screw driver or something. if fuel shoots out that isn't your problem.
you can also check for signal at the injectors just by popping the connector off and putting a test light on it. it should be blinking while you crank the car if they are getting any signal.

good luck with it

Ian
09-24-2006, 03:29 PM
just for ****s and giggles, try spraying som starting fluid into the throttle body when you're cranking it. If it starts up, you know you've got a fuel problem.

V
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I know how frustrating it can get when you spend so much time on something only to think you are worse off then when you began. But dont give up.

In your case, you may be overlooking something very simple. When will you be working on the car next? I'd like to drop by and just look over everything to see if perhaps a new set of eyes may spot something. I have a few ideas that could be the issue, but id like to see for myself first. I'm no self proclaimed LT1 expert but i swapped a 96 lt1 into my 79 vette, so that tought me a bunch of stuff about them. Also ive worked on many f bodies in general in all aspects so i have a pretty good overall idea, like wiring and fuel systems. I'm free almost any day and time, just let me know.

ar0ck
09-24-2006, 03:46 PM
just for ****s and giggles, try spraying som starting fluid into the throttle body when you're cranking it. If it starts up, you know you've got a fuel problem.

I didn't have a test light with me unfortunetly. It defenitly cranks alot faster now that we have the valves set alot better. We tried to spray starter fluid in yesterday with the throttle fully open when it wasn't starting as good. We tried a quick shot today directly into the throttle body and it just got some more sputtering out of the engine, but it still stumbled to a stop.

The fuel pump does prime when the key is on the On-Position, but I have always had the thought that it was failing, because before I tore the car apart, it always had trouble starting untill the pump fully primed.

I left my good jump pack at home, and was trying to work with starter cables off my friends Truck.