PDA

View Full Version : Ummm Do i need to rip out the carpets???

AJP1987
09-25-2006, 06:39 AM
Whats up guys and girls. Last winter my heater core went and proceeded to fill up that low spot in the passenger side floor with anti freeze. So being lazy i mopped everything i could up with some towels and vacummed the rest with a wet/ dry shop vac. Instead of taking the 8 hours of my life to do a heater core, i just bypassed it so it cant come into the cabin. I thought everything was fine until today when i finally decided to pull the corner of the carpet out to slip my hand under. to my suprise it was still quite damp. i thought that the small amount of fluid would dissipate over time. Do i have to rip up the carpet or should i leave it and hope that antifreeze doesnt have any rust forming properties? OR, is this a normal f body thing and everybody gets fluid there if their t tops leak a bit?.

The Fixer
09-25-2006, 08:15 AM
I don't think the antifreeze itself would rust the floor, but don't forget there's water mixed in with the antifreeze. I'd get that carpet out ASAP, dry the footwells out, and leave the carpet out in the hot sun for a few days to get it to dry. Or, just replace it; they're about $100 new on Ebay, or someone here probably has a decent carpet from a parts car.

qwikz28
09-25-2006, 09:25 AM
stockinteriors.com has pretty cheap carpets. and they come in a variety of colors.

WildBillyT
09-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Just replace the carpet, it's not hard to do. It will probably make your interior smell nicer as well.

Anti-freeze has anti-rust properties. It does not evaporate well, though.

Savage_Messiah
10-04-2006, 12:22 AM
4th gen carpets dont work in 3rd gens do they? if so 50 bucks takes mine

NJSPEEDER
10-04-2006, 04:27 PM
you should definately pull up the carpets. the padding of thirdgen carpets is very absorbant and will hold moisture against the floor. it won't immediately cause rust, but the antifreeze will eat away the paint over time and lay the ground work for a rust problem.