PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust leaks

LS1Hawk
09-25-2006, 05:38 PM
As some know, I just installed a new exhaust on my car. I noticed that where the clamps are that hold the pipes together water will drip out. I checked all the clamps and the bolts are tight. I guess it's something that's inherent on systems that are not welded together (my stock exhaust leaked a bit as well). Is there something I can get to seal up the leaks?

WayFast84
09-25-2006, 05:49 PM
I hade mine welded up, and then I found out my y pipe absolutly sucks..

qwikz28
09-25-2006, 05:57 PM
As some know, I just installed a new exhaust on my car. I noticed that where the clamps are that hold the pipes together water will drip out. I checked all the clamps and the bolts are tight. I guess it's something that's inherent on systems that are not welded together (my stock exhaust leaked a bit as well). Is there something I can get to seal up the leaks?
john- quite a few people are unhappy with their catbacks being just bolted on. therefore, they opted to take it to an exhaust shop to have it welded on. this makes the exhaust sound a little throatier and seals it up well. just make sure the exhaust shop is reputable and knows what they are doing. its a cheap fix if you ask me.

LS1Hawk
09-26-2006, 05:27 AM
Thanks, I think I may look into that. Are there any good shops in the area?

r0nin89
09-26-2006, 07:41 AM
I think I may get this done. Abouts what does it cost because my exhaust looks horrible in the back with the clamps.

Rich189
09-26-2006, 07:44 AM
whatever u do dont go to mufflex

foff667
09-26-2006, 07:52 AM
I think I may get this done. Abouts what does it cost because my exhaust looks horrible in the back with the clamps.

depends on how many connections need to be welded & if they are all accessible on the car or not...could run you 1 hr labor or 5.

LS1Hawk
09-26-2006, 08:10 AM
On my car 4 of the 5 connections would need to be sealed up. The only one that doesn't leak is the one that connects the over axle to the tailpipes. They're very easy to access as three are on the intermediate pipe, and one is on the tailpipe. The tips are also clamped on, but I'm focused on the leaks right now.

Would something like this be effective? http://www.permatex.com/products/automotive/specialized_maintenance_repair/exhaust_system_maintenance_repair/Permatex_Muffler_Tailpipe_Sealer.htm