PDA

View Full Version : matching stock parts to build spare motor...some questions

V
09-29-2006, 02:35 AM
OK, after my old LS1 blew up, i tore it down and saved all the parts, other than the bare block which i sold for scrap. I now just bought a brand new 2004 ls1/ls6 block and i want to build it with all the left over parts from my original motor. BUT some parts need to be replaced.

And let me add, the point of this build is a semi-stock motor, NOT for higher hp and trying not to spend much money.

first off, I will be using the crank from my 2001 SS motor, BUT only 7 of my rods survived. all 8 pistons seem useable but need cleaning. however, with the rods, i also have a set of 7 rods removed from a 2001 LS1(8th one has a cracked rod bolt)... I was wondering if i could just take 1 of the 2000 rods and use it along with the 2001 ones? I dont see the point in spending 500 or so on new rods. They would be getting brand new LS6 rod bolts which i already have.

other info on it....
The cam will be the stocker out of my 2001
stock 2001 rocker arms, lifters and pushrods.
Heads will be the 241s off the 2001 motor.
I will be getting new GM headbolts, no need for ARP or such.
Head gaskets and all bearings will be oem replacements.
I will still be running the ls1 style pcv system IF using fuel injection.
new ls6 oil pump

As of now, i will probably be building the motor to be carb'd and backed by a TH350. (possibly going in my 79 vette or other retrofit project)
please dont suggest i build the motor up since i dont need 2 "fast" LS1s. This would be a cruiser, and to just use some spare parts laying around. I do have a LS1(not ls6) manifold and wiring i could use but id rather not.

My other question is are there any companies besides Canton that make ls1 oil pans(other than stock)?

Tru2Chevy
09-29-2006, 09:13 AM
I would think that using one of the other rods would be fine, but I would get them checked over by a machine shop to make sure that all are ok before sticking them in another motor.

- Justin

V
09-29-2006, 11:24 AM
yeah, i would most likely send the crank rods and pistons to a machine shop to be balanced and checked out before hand. The 2000 pistons i have actually are cleaner and nicer than my 2001 ones so i way want to use those. Ill probably just bring them to the machine shop as well and tell them to use the better ones.

i was considering selling all my left over ls1 parts and the new blcok as one lot, but im pretty sure i'll go this route and just build the longblock and put it on the side if i ever decide to use it.