PDA

View Full Version : **** puddles!

r0nin89
09-29-2006, 10:26 AM
Yeah so I am driving down a side street to cut through some traffic. Stop at the main road and land my back wheels right in a big ol puddle. Pull out and hit it a wee bit to hard... Loose complete control and swirve into oncoming traffic. Cut it the other way and almost swirve into a pole. Swirve it back and almost do a 180 in the middle of route 88 (point pleasant). So I finally get back of control and me and my friend are like wow omg. We get back to school and he says to me "You should have seen your face. It was the meanest most serious poker face I've ever seen." Long story short we're taking his truck to lunch when it rains now...

Tru2Chevy
09-29-2006, 10:31 AM
Ouch....good think that you didn't hurt yourselves or the car.

One of the many trials and tribulations you'll go through as a new driver.

At least you can handle them better than Brandon :D

- Justin

r0nin89
09-29-2006, 10:35 AM
Yeah my fiend also said anyone else and we would have been in an accident. I got out of my car at school scared ****less and just go "Man I know how to drive..."

V
09-29-2006, 11:32 AM
consider it that you just got lucky, i wouldnt really call it "knowing how to drive" with it being your first day of driving really. And just think, this is a 305 tbi motor, if you built your 400rwhp combo, it would even be harder to control than that in the dry, so keep that in mind. just be careful and dont try to show off, you still need driving experience.

BonzoHansen
09-29-2006, 11:58 AM
Learning how to drive is harder than it appears.

I used to go to big parking lots (like the mall after closing, etc.) when the roads were wet and practice sliding, panic stops and such. Not out of control drifting type stuff, just enough to know what the car is going to do & how to deal. Like lock the brakes at 20, 30 and 40. Not Dukes type stunts.

DISCLAIMER: If a cop tickets you for this, I don't know you/you don't know me. Could technically be illegal.

iamsickofitall
09-29-2006, 01:33 PM
that was dumb...most people would let off the throttle and regain control before stupidly hitting someone or something - i was dumb once

here's a hint...if you lose traction, lifting your foot off of the go pedal is the way to get it back

Brando56894
09-29-2006, 06:49 PM

- Justin

i knew that was comming.... :laugh:

IROCdan330
09-29-2006, 07:07 PM
yea i remember a little while back (year and a half-ish) when i got my liscense...4 days into it and it rained...i wanted to see just what everyone meant by "camaros being terrible in the rain" so i tapped it just after a turn and did a 180 into oncoming traffic, almost tagging a mailbox. then i got pulled over after and the cop let me go, see how scared i was.

youve got to learn your vehicle, there comes a point where its wet out and in many other conditions where you will begin to feel it ready to break loose on you.

and yea, lifting off the gas will get you traction back...putting your foot on the brake can tend to make matters worse.

Savage_Messiah
09-29-2006, 10:08 PM
Ouch....good think that you didn't hurt yourselves or the car.

One of the many trials and tribulations you'll go through as a new driver.

- Justin

yea brandon woulda spun out into a tree, and hell, Ian woulda gotten stuck

r0nin89
09-30-2006, 06:45 AM
and yea, lifting off the gas will get you traction back...putting your foot on the brake can tend to make matters worse.

Ok see I knew about the breaks but I'll be honest I cant remember if I let off or not. I definatly didnt do it on purpose or to show off. Just was wetter than I thought.

PS: Not trying to brag when I say "I know how to drive" but it just felt like it was more than luck with the way I was handling it my buddy said.

Mike
09-30-2006, 07:38 AM
if you KNEW how to drive, the car never woulda lost it, glad you FIGURED OUT how to drive somewhere in the middle of the action and saved yourself and who knows how many other people.

you either did a good job recovering ( the times ive actually LOST control without doing it on purpose i dont really remeber exactly what i did to get it back either so thats not wierd) or someone was looking down on your wellbeing..... either way glad you and your car are still here.....

BigAls87Z28
09-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Im with Mike on that, you might not have known before, but you sure do now know how not to drive your car.
And if you want a big empty lot, I have a parking lot for ya....

r0nin89
09-30-2006, 02:21 PM
Where? Cant be too late either I have to be pretty early...

I know what you mean as far as knowing my cars limits. I know it was my mistake but just the combination of a puddle and moisture on the road from 8hours before was just as bad as driving in pouring rain. Glad I realise that now...

BigAls87Z28
09-30-2006, 02:25 PM
Well, good you realized this. We arent your parents, we cant yell at you, but we can guide you down the right path as your peers. Just look what we did with Wayfast....ahhh nevermind that.
Anyway, the mall I work at has several large parking lots. We do a lot of test-driving the vehicles in them to check for suspension and brakes. We also have the Searsring, much like the Nurburing in Germany...only totaly different.

Brando56894
09-30-2006, 03:36 PM
Ok see I knew about the breaks but I'll be honest I cant remember if I let off or not.

thats exactly how i was..

Mike
09-30-2006, 09:05 PM
but we can guide you down the right path as your peers. Just look what we did with Wayfast....ahhh nevermind that.

its ok al, even we arent perfect. cant win them all

curt86iroc
10-01-2006, 08:45 PM
with the transgo kit in my car, it will spin 1-2 and 2-3 in the rain. i have to be careful if it shifts while im turning, otherwise the rear usually kicks out.

thats why i have the ultimate rain vehicle!!! (enter the blazer...)

WayFast84
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
my car and my old tires had major problems in the rain, it peeled out from the corner of glens service station all the way to the hill where wendys is by..

i wasnt driving..

r0nin89
10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Good warning... I plan on doing a kit and shifter soon so hopefully I'll be able to control that kick.

Ian
10-01-2006, 09:26 PM
with the transgo kit in my car, it will spin 1-2 and 2-3 in the rain. i have to be careful if it shifts while im turning, otherwise the rear usually kicks out.

thats why i have the ultimate rain vehicle!!! (enter the blazer...)

very true. that time when I was driving your car around after the radiator it was raining. I was used to driving the jeep around and your stupid car was a handful!

p.s. your blazer sucks!

r0nin89
10-02-2006, 07:01 AM
Shift kit going to kill my gas/control? I thought they worked that if you were on it lightly it shifted "normal/stock (er)"...

Ian
10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
if you're not into the gas too much, then yes it will shift a little lighter. the higer the RPM's, the more line pressure builds up and the shift becomes firmer.