PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Wiring

ZeroCool8891
09-30-2006, 10:34 AM
I juts got an 89 rs it had TBI I am putting in my 305 with my old distributor that has HEI I know about the 3 wires that goes in to cap but my question is there is a harness with 4 other wires im not sure what those 4 get hooked up too. I know that white is tach and red is power but it does not have that on the harness from the distributor

walterjr
09-30-2006, 08:49 PM
What year is the old distributor from?

ZeroCool8891
10-01-2006, 01:12 AM
84 camaro z28

V
10-01-2006, 03:49 AM
as far as i know, 84 was still computer controlled, so its iffy if it'll work, im not 100% positive and im too tired to think it through.

walterjr
10-01-2006, 08:15 AM
There is a big difference in the wiring diagram for the engine control modules from the 84 to the 89. There's no way to make it work. Best thing to do is change to the distributor from the 89.

V
10-01-2006, 10:50 AM
well to clarify, i think he isnt using the 89 computer anymore, he is gettign rid of the TBI system and ecm and going to a non-computer controlled carb. He's asking how to make the older dizzy just wire up to the stock harness power, ground and tach wires. BUT thats just what i got from IM'ing him the other day, perhaps he is trying to retain the tbi. However, i suggested that if he's going straight carb, he should just get a dizzy with vaccum advance and throw the HEI cap on that.

ZeroCool8891
10-01-2006, 06:12 PM
well to clarify, i think he isnt using the 89 computer anymore, he is gettign rid of the TBI system and ecm and going to a non-computer controlled carb. He's asking how to make the older dizzy just wire up to the stock harness power, ground and tach wires. BUT thats just what i got from IM'ing him the other day, perhaps he is trying to retain the tbi. However, i suggested that if he's going straight carb, he should just get a dizzy with vaccum advance and throw the HEI cap on that.

yea paul you are rite but i was wondering if i could add a vacumm advance to the org dis i have but yes paul i am useing 84 computer and blcok and etc

BonzoHansen
10-01-2006, 10:18 PM
If you are using a computer, why use vac advance? Or am I misunderstanding what you are trying to say?

V
10-01-2006, 10:59 PM
if you are going to a 84 ecm... and a non CC carb, the ecm is pointless. it works between the dizzy and carb, if one is missing the other isnt 100%. If you are going non cc carb, ditch the ecm alltogether

ZeroCool8891
10-01-2006, 11:38 PM
i am going to carb non computer **** like i am asking i got the harness with the 4 wires and i dunno what it goes too on the harness to the car

jwscab
10-03-2006, 07:44 AM
OK, so....You won't use most of the harness connections to run your car. The EFI harness has this for wiring:

a gray or black connector that connected to the coil. This has a fat pink wire, and probably a smaller white wire. This is power to the distributor, and tach signal(white).

there is a small wire adapter that went from the coil to the distributor. You won't need it. this had a pink and.....black? wire on it.

the harness has a 4 position connector that has a brown, black, white, and purple wire. You don't need any of those without an ecm.

the 84 distributor should have the coil in the cap. regular old big HEI. Take the wires above (pink, white), and clip off the connectors, and extend them if you need to, and put a spade lug terminal on each. The HEI should have the three wire from the distrubtor base to the cap. the other two terminals connect to the two new spade lugs. Look on the cap, there are molded words. I believe Tach and IGN. So....pink goes to IGN, and white goes to TACH.

done! Stuff the rest of the harness out of the way and whatnot. If you decide to remove the harness, you will have to peel it apart to save the wires you need, the pink, the tach, the water temp, etc. Its probably easier and better to just move stuff out of the way.

ZeroCool8891
10-03-2006, 07:27 PM
thanks jw works got spark great thanks again