PDA

View Full Version : my cam install "uh-oh"....

V
10-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Ok, so i while back i installed my camshaft and then buttoned up the motor. A few days later i was reveiwing all the pictures i took of the process, and i came up with the first picture... If you look at the cam gear dot it doesnt seem perfectly aligned, so then i started thinking i maybe installed the chain one tooth off or something
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/cam1.jpg

So... tonight i decided to pull it all back apart, just to be sure. It would be hell if i started the motor and found out it was off then.. so after taking everything off and rotating the crank to position... this is what i find...
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/cam2.jpg

It was all in my head, i did it fine the first time, its not liek this is the first motor ive done. between my OCD and my **** ass memory, i had myself going crazy over nothing. But, better safe than sorry, and it only took like 15 min to check this. I always seem to be double and triple check everything I do, cars or otherwise, and so far i cant remember anything ive ever overlooked.... so i guess its ok, lol.

JSPERFORMANCE
10-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Dont be hard on yourself, I do the same thing sometimes. Its a sign that you care that the job you are doing is done right the first time no questions or excuses..

Tru2Chevy
10-04-2006, 08:28 AM
:stupid:

Better to spend 15-20 minutes backtracking now....

- Justin

HardcoreZ28
10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
Yeah I go back and check things 10 times on occassion. Nothing wrong with being thorough. That's what seperates someone who cares from a hack.

BonzoHansen
10-04-2006, 01:08 PM
If I could get the time back for when I did stuff like that...

johnjzjz
10-04-2006, 06:42 PM
the guys in my shop are required to just jot down the real inportant stuff in a note book we keep in the shop they did like rist pin clips - the quad style easy to leave out one and think they gave you an extra -- torque on the rod bolts and oil pump well u get the idea -- it has stopped all the stupid stuff people know better about just what we do -- jz

WayFast84
10-04-2006, 07:50 PM
woahh so thats what they mean!!!!!!!!

i think you should change everything to

"hey wayfast this is what we mean!!"

but seriously thanks!!

Rich189
10-04-2006, 08:00 PM
i do stuff like that all the time but i figure it like this.... id rather double check first then have to wonder about it then be sorry later

qwikz28
10-05-2006, 12:27 AM
the guys in my shop are required to just jot down the real inportant stuff in a note book we keep in the shop they did like rist pin clips - the quad style easy to leave out one and think they gave you an extra -- torque on the rod bolts and oil pump well u get the idea -- it has stopped all the stupid stuff people know better about just what we do -- jz
thats a great idea. im gonna do that when i do my cam install.