PDA

View Full Version : 09 Camaro vs. Mustang

79CamaroDiva
10-07-2006, 08:28 PM
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/virtual/112_0605_virtual_road_test_animations/index.html

Knipps
10-07-2006, 08:34 PM
i saw that... its just amazing how many letters they had the next month bitching about it

ZL-1 vs GT500
Z28 vs "Boss" 330
figure 8 = pwnd

Savage_Messiah
10-07-2006, 08:38 PM
ooooooooooold neeeeeeeeeeeews

Tru2Chevy
10-07-2006, 08:39 PM
By Kim Reynolds
Motor Trend, May 2006

:rofl:

- Justin

79CamaroDiva
10-07-2006, 08:47 PM
well, fine then... i saw it on another site, didn't think i saw it here, so i was just trying to be helpful.

jerks.

BigAls87Z28
10-07-2006, 09:46 PM
If you saw it on Nasty, then you know its gotta be 3-4 months behind. At this rate, they should be getting the news about the offical launch of Camaro within the next month.

qwikz28
10-07-2006, 11:19 PM
it was a good article though melissa... i remember reading that at cartys house when it came out. its so cool what computers can do nowadays

Brando56894
10-08-2006, 05:54 PM
whats the ZL-1?? are they doing away with the SS?? i havent been following all of this recently...

BigAls87Z28
10-08-2006, 06:24 PM
Brando, the ZL1 Camaro was a Camaro created by GM's Central Office Production Order. This part of GM is the part you contact for specialty vehicles, namely police cars. Due to the popularity of the 427 powered Yenko's and Baldwin Motion Camaros, someone, I forget who, wanted a factory produced drag Camaro. In order for him to race the Camaro in NHRA, this car had to be in normal producton of at least 50 units or more. So this person orderd 50 of these special Camaros. The ZL1 Camaro was a base model Camaro, equpied with an All-Aluminum 427 Big Block Chevy. This was advertised to make 550hp, but some have said it made that to the wheels. The car was also equpied with a lot of deleted options, and it was basicly a stripper car with a big engine and racing suspension. 69 total were produced in 69, but the price of the ZL1 was so crazy, that they sold very very few. Most were then auctioned off in the early 70's so that the dealer could recoup some of the cash. These cars were then raced to within an inch of its life, and not many exist.
Now, these ZL1 Camaros are VERY rare, and thanks to Baby Boomers on Barret-Jackson with lots of money, are very expensive. They also made ONE ZL1 Corvette, but that remains with GM I belive. Its in the Corvette Museum.
There was a modern ZL1 done by GM Performance, using an late 4th gen Camaro, and a 572 big block chevy. There are many vids of this car tearing it up around tracks, both straight and curved. This car raced against Ford's SVT Boss Mustang, which used a massive displacement motor as well. I belive durring the competition, both cars broke and no one was declaired a winner, but the Camaro is still in GM's toy warehouse. I have a vid of this ZL1 4th gen running mid 9's in the 1/4.
Berger/GMMG also made a vew ZL1 4th gens for sale, having 3 stages of performance. One was LS6 powerd, the other was moddifed LS6 powerd, and then the Stage III was a 427 based GenIII motor, making 600hp or so. They went for mucho bucks, soemthing like 60-70k if I recall.
As for the 5th gen, Motor Trend just used the history of Camaro to say that the 427 powerd Camaro would be called ZL1.

And for the record, and to start a fight, Z28 is higher then SS.

r0nin89
10-08-2006, 11:48 PM
11.4's stock on that "ZL-1" and 12.x stock on a Z28? Is chevy actually leaning towards out of the box performance again?

Savage_Messiah
10-09-2006, 01:10 AM
whats the ZL-1?? are they doing away with the SS?? i havent been following all of this recently...

:stfu: damn n00b!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brando56894
10-09-2006, 10:16 PM
thanks al

WildBillyT
10-09-2006, 10:21 PM
Brando, the ZL1 Camaro was a Camaro created by GM's Central Office Production Order. This part of GM is the part you contact for specialty vehicles, namely police cars. Due to the popularity of the 427 powered Yenko's and Baldwin Motion Camaros, someone, I forget who, wanted a factory produced drag Camaro. In order for him to race the Camaro in NHRA, this car had to be in normal producton of at least 50 units or more. So this person orderd 50 of these special Camaros. The ZL1 Camaro was a base model Camaro, equpied with an All-Aluminum 427 Big Block Chevy. This was advertised to make 550hp, but some have said it made that to the wheels. The car was also equpied with a lot of deleted options, and it was basicly a stripper car with a big engine and racing suspension. 69 total were produced in 69, but the price of the ZL1 was so crazy, that they sold very very few. Most were then auctioned off in the early 70's so that the dealer could recoup some of the cash. These cars were then raced to within an inch of its life, and not many exist.
Now, these ZL1 Camaros are VERY rare, and thanks to Baby Boomers on Barret-Jackson with lots of money, are very expensive. They also made ONE ZL1 Corvette, but that remains with GM I belive. Its in the Corvette Museum.
There was a modern ZL1 done by GM Performance, using an late 4th gen Camaro, and a 572 big block chevy. There are many vids of this car tearing it up around tracks, both straight and curved. This car raced against Ford's SVT Boss Mustang, which used a massive displacement motor as well. I belive durring the competition, both cars broke and no one was declaired a winner, but the Camaro is still in GM's toy warehouse. I have a vid of this ZL1 4th gen running mid 9's in the 1/4.
Berger/GMMG also made a vew ZL1 4th gens for sale, having 3 stages of performance. One was LS6 powerd, the other was moddifed LS6 powerd, and then the Stage III was a 427 based GenIII motor, making 600hp or so. They went for mucho bucks, soemthing like 60-70k if I recall.
As for the 5th gen, Motor Trend just used the history of Camaro to say that the 427 powerd Camaro would be called ZL1.

And for the record, and to start a fight, Z28 is higher then SS.

That's pretty much it.

Fred Gibb was big in the ZL-1 program. Many of them went to him.

There were 2 ZL-1 Vettes. One white, one yellow.

BigAls87Z28
10-09-2006, 11:35 PM
No prob Brando.
I was going to say 2, but I knew of one deffinatly.
I belive it was Gibb who orderd them. I cant find my cool Camaro book, it had a few names behind the ZL1 project.

WildBillyT
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
No prob Brando.
I was going to say 2, but I knew of one deffinatly.
I belive it was Gibb who orderd them. I cant find my cool Camaro book, it had a few names behind the ZL1 project.

Gibb got 48 of them I think.