PDA

View Full Version : List to convert my car from lg4 to l98

WayFast84
10-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Wll Im gonna get rid of the 305. Im debating weither or not I want the tpi or will use my quadrajet carb, so I need a list of everything I wil need to convert to a 87 L98 tpi. to make my decision

Thanks
Matt

deadtrend1
10-08-2006, 07:45 AM
As I told you online:

-L98 (of course)
-Fuel Tank (in tank pump) and lines
-Engine Wiring and ECM
-Wiring in dash for the injectors 1 and 2 circuit and fuel pump
-move the battery to the drivers side
-A MAF
-Pauls has a camaro airbox, so you would need a firebird intake

WayFast84
10-08-2006, 07:58 AM
ok

Ill move the battery in the rear, and Ill just make a cai from a tech article..

Tru2Chevy
10-09-2006, 12:09 PM
Paul has the firebird intake for you already....

- Justin

hardline_42
10-09-2006, 01:03 PM
As I told you online:

-L98 (of course)
-Fuel Tank (in tank pump) and lines
-Engine Wiring and ECM
-Wiring in dash for the injectors 1 and 2 circuit and fuel pump
-move the battery to the drivers side
-A MAF
-Pauls has a camaro airbox, so you would need a firebird intake
I'm converting my carbed 406 to TPI and here's what I did:

-Fuel tank: Stock tank, lines and pump and then I made an antisurge tank out of a few home depot parts, stuck a mustang fuel pump in it and mounted it under the hood. I only needed about two feet of FI fuel line and the rest of the system stayed the same.
-Engine wiring and ECM: Got a '92 camaro ECM for forty bucks, a wiring harness from www.tpiparts.net and a moates ostrich emulator. Custome EFIs is gonna handle the programming and email it to me. I load it up on my laptop, upload it to the emulator, and voila! Instant chip.
-The battery is being relocated to the rear and a New System wiring kit from MAD Electrical is going in.
- A MAF? I thought TPI was a manifold air pressure system? Why would you need a mass air flow sensor?
- Airboxes are nice but not necessary. You can use a filter that goes over the throttle or plumb a cold air system.

Tru2Chevy
10-09-2006, 02:18 PM
TPI used either MAF or MAP depending on what year it was....

- Justin

deadtrend1
10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
TPI used either MAF or MAP depending on what year it was....

- Justin

and the 89 he is interested in is maf. 90-92 was MAP aka speed density aka SD for short

V
10-09-2006, 05:58 PM
well i did a custom tpi install in that monte and i know whats involved plus i've worked on a bunch of tpi motors before.

hardline, if you didnt know the difference between maf and map years, i hope you at least know the changover years for different lower manifolds, fuel rails, runners, 9 injectors, TBs, plenums and dizzys. ALL changed at some point through out the life of TPI systems. You need the corretc parts for the SD system to work properly. also i assume you have an electronic speed sensor since that is needed for a SD system to run properly.

hardline_42
10-09-2006, 08:16 PM
hardline, if you didnt know the difference between maf and map years, i hope you at least know the changover years for different lower manifolds, fuel rails, runners, 9 injectors, TBs, plenums and dizzys. ALL changed at some point through out the life of TPI systems. You need the corretc parts for the SD system to work properly. also i assume you have an electronic speed sensor since that is needed for a SD system to run properly.
That was just a brain fart and I wasn't trying to call anybody out. Just shopping for my ECM taught me that 90-92 were the MAP years. Besides, i'm strictly a second gen guy and my setup is a Vortec Holley Stealth Ram intake and plenum with '92 electronics and sensors so I'm not concerned with the particulars of each year, just how to adapt said system to a carbed application, which is what WayFast wants if I understand correctly. I have the IAC, TPS, IAT, CTS and the MAP as well as a 3 wire O2 sensor and the VSS. The point of my post was that with a little ingenuity, any engine can be converted to TPI, with or without factory correct intakes, etc. If you can weld aluminum or know someone who can, you can retrofit a carbed intake with injector bungs and a throttle body. Factory or aftermarket TPI systems aren't the only way to go TPI and the factory runner design was a bit limiting as far as horsepower goes. My 2 cents.

WayFast84
10-09-2006, 08:21 PM
I know that, I still want both engines, Just dont know what Im gonna do. Im leaning right inbetween them.

the tpi is good cause I know I will make 230hp stock at the crank prolly more cause I have exhuast... but I still think Its way over my ability

hardline_42
10-10-2006, 10:37 AM
I know that, I still want both engines, Just dont know what Im gonna do. Im leaning right inbetween them.

the tpi is good cause I know I will make 230hp stock at the crank prolly more cause I have exhuast... but I still think Its way over my ability
WayFast, here's the engine info I promised you:

Casting #: 3951509
Engine ID #: F0305TLS (265 HP, 2 bolt mains)
Head Casting #: 3973493 (1.94/1.5 valves, 76cc chambers)

BonzoHansen
10-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Please explain: "-Wiring in dash for the injectors 1 and 2 circuit and fuel pump". It is very possible I am missing something in my head on this, but I don’t get it – I think Matt thinks he needs a special under dash harness, which I do not believe. Not that what needs to be done is child’s play.

I don't see why anything needs to be under dash. Aren’t these just 12v triggering circuits to relays? 12 volt ign hot & start hot are already under the hood, just use some relays to trigger. I think GM used the OPS for fuel pump on run, the relay only for start, but I would have to check a diagram.

deadtrend1
10-10-2006, 03:54 PM
I don't know whats involed cause I swaped a GTA dash in when I did my TPI swap. But I ran 12 volts to the fuel pump and tried to start, and the injectors werent firing. There is a INJ 1 and INJ 2 fuse bank under the GTA dash that wasnt in my LG4 dash.

I don't know whats involed in running the wires since I took the easy way out, but there was a conenction missing that plugged into my ECM on the LG4 dash.

The Fixer
10-11-2006, 08:13 AM
Please explain: "-Wiring in dash for the injectors 1 and 2 circuit and fuel pump". It is very possible I am missing something in my head on this, but I don’t get it – I think Matt thinks he needs a special under dash harness, which I do not believe. Not that what needs to be done is child’s play.

You could fabricate your own fuse separate small fuse box (holds 4 fuses, got it at Autozone) to add those in as well, and mount it under the dash. That's how we wired the TPI in my '88 SS.

BonzoHansen
10-11-2006, 08:31 AM
That is more along my thinking.

enRo
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Wll Im gonna get rid of the 305. Im debating weither or not I want the tpi or will use my quadrajet carb, so I need a list of everything I wil need to convert to a 87 L98 tpi. to make my decision

Thanks
Matt

Refer to a previous post, posted up a cpl weeks ago:

its basic **** like

THINGS YOU CAN READ ON TGO

wich you are a member of..

BonzoHansen
10-11-2006, 02:19 PM
Owned.

deadtrend1
10-11-2006, 04:48 PM
Refer to a previous post, posted up a cpl weeks ago:

because apparently we answer the questions better then TGO since he outsourced information requests to there also.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/tpi/390885-converting-tpi.html

enRo
10-11-2006, 06:29 PM
There is seriously over 2 million posts over there. He'd find more of the same questions asked by others with answers over there if he used the http://shop.centon.com/img/search-button.gif button lol . Im hardly ever on there and when I am, I am guaranteed see that question asked in a topic.

Savage_Messiah
10-13-2006, 02:24 AM
- Airboxes are nice but not necessary. You can use a filter that goes over the throttle or plumb a cold air system.

ew, as in a filter right on the TB? Go ahead and breathe in that hot engine bay air all you want, but I'd never recommend that to somebody.

deadtrend1
10-13-2006, 09:06 PM
ew, as in a filter right on the TB? Go ahead and breathe in that hot engine bay air all you want, but I'd never recommend that to somebody.

I never noticed the "hot engine bay air" causing a extreme power loss

WayFast84
10-13-2006, 09:32 PM
I always use the search butten there..

WayFast84
10-13-2006, 09:39 PM
WayFast, here's the engine info I promised you:

Casting #: 3951509
Engine ID #: F0305TLS (265 HP, 2 bolt mains)
Head Casting #: 3973493 (1.94/1.5 valves, 76cc chambers)
thanks, i joined nastyz28 to pm you about it... :rofl:

guys, im leaning toward the 400..not because its a bigger cubes or anything, but I feel like the price is right,its been rebuilt,and for right now, its just enough power for me. as well as the cost going into efi the drivabilty isnt worth it considering im pretty sure i will have a dd...