PDA

View Full Version : Question bout a 1980 trans am

Rich189
10-09-2006, 03:17 AM
alright a guy at work has owned this car since it was new 1980 ta... his daughter just got a car and he needs extra garage space so he said if i really want it he'll sell it to me i just dont know how much to offer him... i havent seen the car yet but from the description he gave it needs...

new frame rails some minor rust maybe a engine/tranny refresh

it comes with new seats new rear all new glass

anyways a general idea would be very helpful as i dont want to insult him with a real low ball offer but i wanna get myself a good deal at the same time

Ian
10-09-2006, 05:58 AM
700 bucks

BonzoHansen
10-09-2006, 07:01 AM
Need more details, options, etc.

Rich189
10-09-2006, 07:56 AM
i believe its just a regular ta auto with t tops dont know exact details as of yet

jims69camaro
10-09-2006, 11:53 AM
you'll end up having to restore this car. i know he probably thinks it's in awesome shape, but if it's got rust then it's got other issues.

if the front subframe needs to be replaced (frame rails? the car is unit-body, so there is no frame other than the front subframe or if someone attached SFCs) then there are certainly other issues.

kelley blue book online will give you an idea of what to offer him based on the condition. i wouldn't know what to offer him unless i saw the car and was able to fully inspect it.

Untamed
10-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I agree with Jim - its likely to be a rebuild for you. He may consider it driver quality, but it'll definately need some restoring. Plus the 80's used the non-turbo 301 which has very little power. Even the turbo did little to help it.

If you are looking for a project car that you can drive home, I wouldn't offer him any more than a few hundred dollars, depending on the options for the car. You'll end up sinking thousands into a car that you are just casually interested in. Be sure about your plans for the car (or any 2nd gen TA if you are in that market) before contemplating it.

BonzoHansen
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
Where is it at, let's go look at it – I’ll go with you. Those TAs are sexy. Drop an LS1/T56 and rock it!

I was pissed, I thought I had a low mileage 81 lined up, but it was not as reported. My wife thought I was nuts anyway, looking to bring home another project! Ah, she just wants a deck & kitchen. Kitchen FTL.

Tru2Chevy
10-10-2006, 01:51 PM
My wife thought I was nuts anyway, looking to bring home another project! Ah, she just wants a deck & kitchen. Kitchen FTL.

Who needs a kitchen when so many places deliver? :shrug:

- Justin

BonzoHansen
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
Who needs a kitchen when so many places deliver? :shrug:

- Justin
Right, that is what I say. Better yet, how much of a kitchen do you need to eat Frosted Flakes every meal? Some people have incorrect priorities.

DieselKickYoAss4Sure
10-10-2006, 01:56 PM
100 bucks

WildBillyT
10-10-2006, 07:38 PM
Where is it at, let's go look at it – I’ll go with you. Those TAs are sexy. Drop an LS1/T56 and rock it!

I was pissed, I thought I had a low mileage 81 lined up, but it was not as reported. My wife thought I was nuts anyway, looking to bring home another project! Ah, she just wants a deck & kitchen. Kitchen FTL.

See, you've got the same eye as me. It's not a heap, it has tons of potential!:rofl:

Rich189
10-10-2006, 08:04 PM
See, you've got the same eye as me. It's not a heap, it has tons of potential!:rofl:

thats how i look at it too i know ima end up sinking tons of cash into it but i really like 2nd gen ta's the problem is i really love 4th gens too and original plan is in a couple years make my 02 a weekend car throw collectors car insurance on it and have a 3rd car as a daily and my truck for ****** weather and if i buy this 80 it messes up my plans,... plus the money i spend i the 80 could be spent on my 02 so i probably wont buy it unless he only wants a few hundred for it

Untamed
10-11-2006, 11:27 AM
Any chance you can get pics? HOw much does he want for it? Maybe grab the VIN and throw that our way?