PDA

View Full Version : Best Muffler for LT1 Camaro

Anti_Rice_Guy
10-10-2006, 02:45 PM
We are debating changing the muffler on the Z.
Which do you guys think is the best?

enRo
10-10-2006, 03:25 PM
I am partial to Hooker. Do it!

deadtrend1
10-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Everyone here is only going to voice opinions and they aren't going to mean nothing to you. You need to decide what sounds nice to you, cause to someone else it may sound like crap and vice versa.

To me, loudmouths are too raspy for my taste. I have a hooker installed on my 96 which sounds decent, but the reason I bought it was cause it was cheap, had the dual/dual tips to fill up my T/A bumper, and has a nice WOT tone.

I used to like flowmasters but I'm leaning further away from them. I replaced my flowmaster system on my 2001 silverado in exchange for a Magnaflow and I think it sounds so much better.

Like i said, to each their own......

Pampered-Z
10-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Agree with deadtrend1

What type of sound would you like and what performance/HP are you planning? Plus how much are you looking to spend? That's a big factor.

Then you can get some options in you budget.

Bandit
10-10-2006, 05:58 PM
SLP Loudmouth sounds best on a LT1

ar0ck
10-10-2006, 06:14 PM
Im partial to my own Magnaflow system. Its a pretty humble sounding exhaust, but defenitly has a nice note to it under power.

Anti_Rice_Guy
10-10-2006, 07:13 PM
Agree with deadtrend1

What type of sound would you like and what performance/HP are you planning? Plus how much are you looking to spend? That's a big factor.

Then you can get some options in you budget.
Yea I know what you mean. It's dad's car but i occasionally drive it. However, he is thinking of getting a louder/better sounding exhaust, possibly a high flo cat/catback.
WE already have a Continental Catback, which sounds decent, but is too quiet under part throttle. Cost isn't really an issue with dad.
How about the high flow cat part? What do you guys think of that?

It's a weekend toy, not a daily driver, so I don't know if that affects your answers.

slasherbarb
10-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Im partial to my own Magnaflow system. Its a pretty humble sounding exhaust, but defenitly has a nice note to it under power.+1 Magnaflow + LTs - CATs=:drool:

ar0ck
10-10-2006, 09:28 PM
+1 Magnaflow + LTs - CATs=:drool:

Magnaflow + LTs + Cam - Cats - exhaust leaks = :drool: x2

bad64chevelle
10-10-2006, 09:31 PM
B&B Triflow would be my choice. Heard it on an LT1 SS a year or so back, and wished I had put it on my car.

Ian
10-12-2006, 12:33 PM
spintech

WayFast84
10-12-2006, 03:44 PM
corsa
/thread

Stacy13
10-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Yea I know what you mean. It's dad's car but i occasionally drive it. However, he is thinking of getting a louder/better sounding exhaust, possibly a high flo cat/catback.
WE already have a Continental Catback, which sounds decent, but is too quiet under part throttle. Cost isn't really an issue with dad.
How about the high flow cat part? What do you guys think of that?

I would highly recommend the Hooker catback coupled with a Carsound Hiflow Cat and a new Y-pipe(see my signature). I used the Borla Y-pipe, but it was a real pain to install. All in all, the sound and performance levels are exactly what I was looking for. Good luck.

PsychoticGTAand LTI
10-12-2006, 04:41 PM
HOOKER AERO CHAMBER i love it such a good sound

Rich189
10-12-2006, 05:06 PM
like said above its all a matter of what you want all your gonna get is a buncha opinions on what to get and what other people i have.... ive heard b&b triflow and it sounded really nice corsa also sounds nice but both are expensive magnaflow is a cheaper alternitive and also sounds pretty good

Batman
10-12-2006, 09:31 PM
I like Spintech and Magnaflow

Squirrel
10-12-2006, 10:21 PM
hooker sounds good, but with manifolds and stock y its not loud enough

97Formula
12-15-2006, 06:50 PM
spintech

Another vote for Spintech! I used to have a Flowmaster, which rotted out after only 3 years. Mufflex installed the Flowmaster so I went back to them since I was satisfied with the install and they suggested I go with a Spintech this time, telling me it's a better muffler, etc. I figured what the hell, sure, since it was the same price. While it was slightly quieter than the Flowmaster, the sound was so much richer than the Flow, and did not have the "drone". Nice subtle sound at idle (still louder than stock), more aggressive at cruising speeds (without the drone), and at WOT it SCREAMS!!!

Firebird67dude
12-15-2006, 07:09 PM
I have hooker on ym car. Ppl. on here can couch my car sound pretty sweet.

Also take ur cat off and slam all the insides out.

j0n
12-15-2006, 07:10 PM
hooker sounds good, but with manifolds and stock y its not loud enough

agreed...if you plan on doing headers go with the hooker...if headers wont happen for a long time, or ever...go loudmouth, you will not be disappointed

mtg6486
12-15-2006, 07:48 PM
slp

Ian
12-16-2006, 12:29 AM
spintech

I'm quoting myself because I still think spintech is the best sounding exhaust ever. SLP two out the left is a close second.

JL8Jeff
12-16-2006, 08:57 AM
I'm guessing that your dad won't like the loudmouth because it's too loud and annoying. All the other exhausts mentioned will sound more aggressive than what you have now so any of them will work. My 96 SS had longtube headers, dual 3" cats and the SLP 2OTL which sounded really good. But both pipes on the driver's side looks odd. My 93 Z28 I had the Borla y-pipe, 3" random cat and Flowmaster cat-back. That had a really good sound to it as well. You can go to LS1sounds.com and listen to some samples of different combinations but in the end they are all really similar on a mostly stock car.

ar0ck
12-16-2006, 10:27 AM
Or you could be really cheap and buy a cut-out. PM me if you want one. I have a few 3" set ups laying around.

lastcall190
12-16-2006, 01:43 PM
I had GMMG, LTs, and cats and it sounded incredible. I honestly love loudmouth on a stock LT1 though.

-J

Anti_Rice_Guy
12-19-2006, 03:46 PM
Or you could be really cheap and buy a cut-out. PM me if you want one. I have a few 3" set ups laying around.
LOL i should get one for my exploder. 4.0 V6 powa!!
But yeah i highly doubt that dad would go for a cutout. He's getting boring in his old age (49) haha.