PDA

View Full Version : Inspection Time Again

NightRydaSS
10-11-2006, 01:28 PM
Well it is that time for me again, i have to get my car inspected. damnit. I have a couple of questions tho and hopefully some of you can answer them.

Does the Thermostat have anything to do with the inspection? I put a 160* one in last yr even tho it says "NOT legal for pollution controlled vechicles". will i run the risk of failing with it? I can't see how that could affect anything.

I'm thinkin of installing some Mid Length Pacesetters Headers that bolt to the factory Cats, will i still be able to pass with them? i kno u can't pass with LT's, but how bout the shorties?

other then that i have managed to stay with in "jesery guidlines" with my car even tho i would love to throw some LT's, rip off the cats, and tint my car out. Damn NJ, with all the trees we have u wouldn't think emmisions would be so important! lol

j0n
10-11-2006, 01:33 PM
you should be good with the headers but good luck getting the air tubes out of your manifolds

Knipps
10-11-2006, 01:43 PM
i dont get the issue with tint
why can't we have it?

GrandmasterCow
10-11-2006, 01:44 PM
Well it is that time for me again, i have to get my car inspected. damnit. I have a couple of questions tho and hopefully some of you can answer them.

Does the Thermostat have anything to do with the inspection? I put a 160* one in last yr even tho it says "NOT legal for pollution controlled vechicles". will i run the risk of failing with it? I can't see how that could affect anything.

I'm thinkin of installing some Mid Length Pacesetters Headers that bolt to the factory Cats, will i still be able to pass with them? i kno u can't pass with LT's, but how bout the shorties?

other then that i have managed to stay with in "jesery guidlines" with my car even tho i would love to throw some LT's, rip off the cats, and tint my car out. Damn NJ, with all the trees we have u wouldn't think emmisions would be so important! lol

do those things after you pass inspection, then next time find a shop to get a sticker hookup.

deadtrend1
10-11-2006, 01:47 PM
i dont get the issue with tint
why can't we have it?

Just the law. YOur not allowed to tint the windshield, the drivers side window and the passenger side window. Anything from the drive back can be tinted to any % you want. Hell, you could paint them black and its still legal.

NightRydaSS
10-11-2006, 01:48 PM
i already have the thermo installed. Has anyone heard of someone failing with a 160* one?

GrandmasterCow
10-11-2006, 01:49 PM
no idea

NightRydaSS
10-11-2006, 01:51 PM
let me rephrase that...what CAN you get away with? What can you have? I see a lot of ppl with SLP LT Headers and such, is that legal? What CAN'T you do other then tint in NJ?

Knipps
10-11-2006, 02:07 PM
Just the law. YOur not allowed to tint the windshield, the drivers side window and the passenger side window. Anything from the drive back can be tinted to any % you want. Hell, you could paint them black and its still legal.

haha i know that much

Tsar
10-11-2006, 02:32 PM
i already have the thermo installed. Has anyone heard of someone failing with a 160* one?
how would they know?

BonzoHansen
10-11-2006, 02:41 PM
How many threads on this did you start? :)

NightRydaSS
10-11-2006, 02:46 PM
2 by accident. more ppl were in the other one. sry

deadtrend1
10-11-2006, 04:44 PM
let me rephrase that...what CAN you get away with? What can you have? I see a lot of ppl with SLP LT Headers and such, is that legal?

Sure its legal, as long as you have catalytic converters on the car, and a muffler.

foff667
10-11-2006, 06:08 PM
Sure its legal, as long as you have catalytic converters on the car, and a muffler.

actually thats incorrect...technically if you remove working existing cats that in itself is illegal...also moving cats to a non stock location as weith longtubes is also illegal & they could technically fail you.

deadtrend1
10-11-2006, 09:14 PM
actually thats incorrect...technically if you remove working existing cats that in itself is illegal...also moving cats to a non stock location as weith longtubes is also illegal & they could technically fail you.

your serious?? what the hell? Thats friggin' gay.....

The drivers side cat is in the worst spot in the first place on my car...

Tsar
10-12-2006, 08:59 AM
yup foff is correct.

foff667
10-12-2006, 09:02 AM
your serious?? what the hell? Thats friggin' gay.....

The drivers side cat is in the worst spot in the first place on my car...

yup, unfortunatly thats the law...i don't even think its a state thing I believe its federal that you cannot remove a working cat nor can you install cats in non stock locations...they don't care if your car is pitting out pure oxygen technically it could fail visual.

BonzoHansen
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
As I understand it, the reason is that cats need to reach proper operation temperature ASAP. The further down the pipes the cat moves, the longer it takes to warm up (the air charge cools rapidly). That is what AIR tubes to the cat do (added air makes them hotter).

So in essence by moving the cat(s), you delay cat operation at cold start, and thus increase emissions. (No one moves them closer). If you move it far enough down stream they would never reach proper operating temperature (that is why modern O2 sensors are heated now – constant operating temps). And they can’t test cold start unless you want to drop your car off overnight. Thus, visual inspection.

So, there is some science behind that rule, it is not just a ghey rule meant to personally piss you off. At least that is how it has been described to me.

I don’t really understand the working cat thing, other than just an anti-tampering thing.

Tru2Chevy
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
I think the "working cat" rule only applies for a certain amount of miles (80,000 IIRC). Or you can just "run over something in the road" and have to replace your damaged cat.

- Justin

BonzoHansen
10-12-2006, 11:01 AM
So I can replace the one in my truck with 160k on it? :) It's a 93 with an old pellet type cat. I figure changing that will be like a NO2 shot.

I never had it explined to me why I can't replace a good cat with another good cat. Has to be a tampering thing.

Tru2Chevy
10-12-2006, 11:26 AM
So I can replace the one in my truck with 160k on it? :) It's a 93 with an old pellet type cat. I figure changing that will be like a NO2 shot.

I never had it explined to me why I can't replace a good cat with another good cat. Has to be a tampering thing.

Find a big rock, crawl under the truck, and whack the crap outta the cat once with the rock. Then it'll be damaged, and you'll have to replace it. ;-)

- Justin