PDA

View Full Version : Problem? with headers...

V
10-21-2006, 08:48 PM
i just got my QTP headers yesterday, today i bolted them up to the motor quickly to see how they look/fit, a friend then pointed this out to me...
The Passenger side header primaries are not fully welded around like the drivers side is... WTF? i guess on monday i'm taking a drive to QTP....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/driversideQTP.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/passengersideQTP.jpg

Knipps
10-21-2006, 08:59 PM
that's weird...

V
10-21-2006, 09:03 PM
...like if its a screw up, ill drive the 15 or so min to QTP and exchange it for a finished one, no big deal, but i just dont feel comfortable running the car like that and i'd rather not have to make it an issue through Thunder Racing which i ordered them through.

j0n
10-21-2006, 10:18 PM
good thing you caught it

qwikz28
10-22-2006, 01:10 AM
i'll check mine on monday and see if mine are the same. that looks odd and it prob would leak.

V
10-22-2006, 01:13 AM
on ls1tech, they said those outer welds just hold the pipes in place so they can be welded on the inside, and they arent "functional" welds. but even if thats the case.. i want them to match damn it! i'm hoping alex pops in here and can give me a heads up, i dont wanna PM him and bother him, lol. i figure i may just call QTP monday and run up there

bad64chevelle
10-22-2006, 10:24 AM
I highly doubt they will leak because of the inside welds, however im with you Paul Id want them to match atleast.

79dizZy28
10-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd want them to match too, definitly doesn't look right.

camaro2you
10-22-2006, 11:13 AM
for the price...they should match.

V
10-22-2006, 05:33 PM
AND the one side of the y-pipe does NOT slide onto the header. i had to open it up even a little and it still wont go... i'm not to impressed so far by these headers... I will be calling/visiting QTP tomorrow...

Tsar
10-22-2006, 06:39 PM
**** for that price they better come out of gods anus and add 11ty billion horsepower! get that **** fixed son.

WildBillyT
10-23-2006, 08:57 AM
Those definetly look like tacks for finish welding. That header probably was not supposed to make it past their QC.

V
10-23-2006, 12:15 PM
i called just before... and i explained my situation about the welds and the y-pipe, they guy put me on hold then came back and asked for my number and said hed have someone call me back... that was almost an hour ago... if i dont get a call back today, ill be waiting at their door when they show up for work tomorrow....

qwikz28
10-23-2006, 12:32 PM
mine both look like your passenger side header, except for one primary on the drivers side. kinda annoying now that you pointed it out :!:

NJLT1SS
10-23-2006, 01:35 PM
Mecahnically they should both be fine, but it would bug me that they dont match. Just about every header I have seen is like our passenger side, tacked on the outside, fully welded on the inside.

V
10-23-2006, 03:58 PM
mine both look like your passenger side header, except for one primary on the drivers side. kinda annoying now that you pointed it out :!:

call QTP right away, he'll take care of it. I mentioned that to him about yours and he said its impossible, and if so he wants to know and see it and he'll correct it. i was up there this afternoon and he looked at mine and said they should just be tacked on the outside, NOT fully welded, he gonna go to the "other" buildign where the fabricate them and see whats going on. my fully welded on should not be like that. as for the y-pipe issue, we discussed it quite in depth and everything was taken care of/will work out, so thats all good.

Tsar
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
its suppose to be like that? why are they making them uglier? it looks much nicer if you weld them all the way around on the outside...

ar0ck
10-23-2006, 07:19 PM
Its merely cosmetic. I called Paul about it earlier. Whats important is on the inside of the flange (the side on the head) They vary because they come from different production runs. What happens is when we have finished headers we lay them all out seperate to sides and then re-package them to make sure everythings ok. I just honestly never noticed the two different welds when I do the packing.

What was the deal with the y-pipe? I've heard of similar things happen before, but it was just how they were put together.

If anyone else with the headers has a problem, just give us a call. We always hook up the local people.

1984camaroz28
10-23-2006, 07:57 PM
one word to correct this problem KOOKS

V
10-23-2006, 10:21 PM
the y pipe issue couldnt be clearly figured out, because i "didnt know what i was doing" by trying to open up a pipe to fit that way 2 times to small to begin with. yes, i dimpled it quite a lot, but even with the last 1/4 opened up a lot it still didnt fit, plus the collector on the one headers is out of round, i'm having it taken care of at a local exhaust shop. The guy then brought out "my header" sayign he measured it and it was perfectly round, then turns out he had switch the header without telling me, and gave me one with a hole in it, which he cought luckily before i left, so then i got my original one back, which he said to have an exhaust shop check for roundness.... so apparently it was damaged in shipping if the collector was ovaled, and the y pipe end ovaled as well... but he said it wasnt shipping damage when i said i'll make a claim with ups then... so i dunno...

The guy at QTP was helpful about explaining the process how the headers y pipe are made and how to assemble it, but i still do think quality control needs to be looked at. I am not satisfied with the two mismatched headers, especially after i sent the time and money to paint the engine compartment and powder coat all the brackets... but whatever, i learned my lesson, listen to the problem other have had and dont think youll be any different....

i am currently thinking about selling the qtps and buying kooks...

qwikz28
10-23-2006, 11:09 PM
kooks is very similar in design and supposedly the collector on the QTP headers are better. i think this is a no win situation. just let qtp do what they can to make it fit and leave it at that

ar0ck
10-24-2006, 04:38 PM
You delt with my amazing boss Barry. I just hope you guys don't get the wrong impression of me or any of the other employees. I tried to help as best as I could, but again Im limited.

V
10-24-2006, 04:47 PM
well, i wont be buying anything QTP in the future, apparently going to SEMA is SUCH a big deal, but it still shouldnt affect their production times or customer service... but whatever, they made the sale, they got my money.. end of story

foff667
10-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Alex correct me if im wrong but I heard QTP's headers were being manufactured BY kooks?

foff667
10-25-2006, 12:05 PM
BTW my pacesetters were beautiful

http://web.ics.purdue.edu/~kanwisch/LS1TechMirror/Pacesetters/98Camaropg4_data/PacesetterDriver1.JPG

qwikz28
10-25-2006, 01:56 PM
Alex correct me if im wrong but I heard QTP's headers were being manufactured BY kooks?
history lesson from one of alex's co-workers:

QTP headers used to be available 2 sizes with a choice of collectors. at this time, they were produced by kooks. kooks headers were not available with the hi flow merge collectors which is QTP's strong point. now, in a crazy scheme to make a profit, the owner of QTP decided to fabricate the headers himself in his shop and offer his merge collector using the kooks design and sell them. this avoided the middle man thus saving QTP money in design costs and outsources. one may ask: what about copyright infringement? the collectors and the flat thing that bolts to the head (i dont know the ****in name of it) were modded enough to pass through the copyright laws and there you have the QTP headers sitting in my garage and in Paul's car. this is why, you no longer have the regular merge collectors or the bigger primaries (1 7/8" as opposed to the 1 3/4" primaries)

copying header designs is no new practice either. anyone that has a pacesetter header owns a copied design header.

any questions?

foff667
10-25-2006, 02:10 PM
history lesson from one of alex's co-workers:

QTP headers used to be available 2 sizes with a choice of collectors. at this time, they were produced by kooks. kooks headers were not available with the hi flow merge collectors which is QTP's strong point. now, in a crazy scheme to make a profit, the owner of QTP decided to fabricate the headers himself in his shop and offer his merge collector using the kooks design and sell them. this avoided the middle man thus saving QTP money in design costs and outsources. one may ask: what about copyright infringement? the collectors and the flat thing that bolts to the head (i dont know the ****in name of it) were modded enough to pass through the copyright laws and there you have the QTP headers sitting in my garage and in Paul's car. this is why, you no longer have the regular merge collectors or the bigger primaries (1 7/8" as opposed to the 1 3/4" primaries)

copying header designs is no new practice either. anyone that has a pacesetter header owns a copied design header.

any questions?

so where are QTP's ACTUALLY assembled now...not packaged, assembled, welded, etc. As for pacesetters being a copy...a copy of what? If you actually look at pictures of them & compare them to any other companies header they look completely different...the only thing similar is that they are both shiney hehe

qwikz28
10-25-2006, 02:21 PM
so where are QTP's ACTUALLY assembled now...not packaged, assembled, welded, etc. As for pacesetters being a copy...a copy of what? If you actually look at pictures of them & compare them to any other companies header they look completely different...the only thing similar is that they are both shiney hehe
lol qtps are manufactured in house now, in saddle brook, new jersey. everything from start to finish is done there.

as for pacesetters, i believe they are a copy of hookers for ls1 fbodies and SW for the goats. but im not 100% sure. a matter of fact, you got me doubting myself whether it was pacesetter that did all the design copies. im like 89% sure its pacesetter though

JL8Jeff
10-25-2006, 02:36 PM
The LT1 Pacesetter headers were not a copy of Hooker. I think the JetHot's were a copy of Hooker. The Pacesetters I put on my 96 SS were very nice headers with some nice thick flanges. The welds on the inside of the tubes/flange area was a little sloppy in a couple of spots but so are all the other headers. I grind down any sloppy weld on all the headers I've ever had.

Oh, and the word of the day is "flange"!
:laugh:

qwikz28
10-25-2006, 05:01 PM
The LT1 Pacesetter headers were not a copy of Hooker. I think the JetHot's were a copy of Hooker. The Pacesetters I put on my 96 SS were very nice headers with some nice thick flanges. The welds on the inside of the tubes/flange area was a little sloppy in a couple of spots but so are all the other headers. I grind down any sloppy weld on all the headers I've ever had.

Oh, and the word of the day is "flange"!
:laugh:
flange! thats it! and yeah bill already corrected me on the jet hot- hooker comparison. i suck at life.

as for qtp, i've still never heard of an instance where they didnt try their best to rectify a problem. therefore i have no problem with running their header. besides, i live 10minutes from their shop so i can have them help me at any time