PDA

View Full Version : Hrmmm trying to troubleshoot an engine noise...

enRo
11-02-2006, 03:01 PM
So for the past few months, Ive been hearing that same grinding noise that I used to have in my 88 WS6, and now I decided to have everything taken care of thats wrong with the car over the winter. I can only hear it at very low RPMS, in overdrive, and it sounds like its coming from under the engine bay (could be wrong). I ruled out anything exhaust related cuz before I did the headers, it was doing the same thing. The noise... is kinda hard to explain. My 88 WS6 did this, and when i sold it, the next owner found a lose valve spring, which could very well be the culprit. Im very picky about yanking my engine apart cuz #1: My arm permits me to, and #2: Ill prolly break a bolt somewhere lol . Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks :-)

johnjzjz
11-02-2006, 03:38 PM
DOES THE NOIZE ALSO HAVE LIKE A VIBRATION IF SO THE LOCK UP IN THE CONVERTOR MAY BE WORN --- AS YOU DRIVE IT AND THE TACH INDACATES IT WENT INTO OD SEE IF ITS THAN THAT YOU HEAR IT -- YOU DID NOT GIVE ENOUGH INFO SO ITS A GUESS -- JZ

Batman
11-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Tough to tell without hearing it, but the valbe springs are easy enough to check. It only takes about a half hour to pull the valve covers, a broken spring will be obvious. If you need help with it I may be able to make myself available some night if it is soon. I can get the covers off in about 15 minutes now (got it down to a science!) Is the noise a grinding noise or a rattle? If is is in the valve train it should be obvious from under the hood. Does it change with RPM? Vehicle speed? if it changes with RPM with the car in neutral it is the engine. Try driving the car, put it in neutral and see if it changes fast with the drop in RPM or slowly with the decrease in speed. From there I can steer you a little better. Is the car an M6 or A4?

enRo
11-02-2006, 04:02 PM
Nah its only when in drive. I can faintly hear it in regular drive, but its very loud in overdrive... and as i increase throttle in overdrive say 45-55 mph the clatter gets louder and louder... doesnt do it in the lower gears tho

And its a grinding/clatter/cranking noise lol

Batman
11-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Sounds more like a transmssion problem then an engine. I'm taking by your last post it is an A4. I would suspect a converter problem, possibly a broken fin inside the convereter itself. (I am kinda new to the automatic world but learning fast). If it was the engine it would make noise in or out of gear when the RPM's increased. Either that or your tans is on it's way to the junkyard in the sky. Do you have a drain plug in your pan or is it a stocker? If you do I would pull it out and look for metal in the fluid. You haven't had any running hot problems have you?

enRo
11-02-2006, 05:58 PM
Sounds more like a transmssion problem then an engine. I'm taking by your last post it is an A4. I would suspect a converter problem, possibly a broken fin inside the convereter itself. (I am kinda new to the automatic world but learning fast). If it was the engine it would make noise in or out of gear when the RPM's increased. Either that or your tans is on it's way to the junkyard in the sky. Do you have a drain plug in your pan or is it a stocker? If you do I would pull it out and look for metal in the fluid. You haven't had any running hot problems have you?

No hot problems. Its an A4... has 55K original miles on it. And i really dont abuse it at all (edit: not THAT much lol) . Like I said it sounds like its coming from the very front of the car. Ill see about checking the springs tomorrow, cuz im leaning towards that.

WildBillyT
11-03-2006, 12:11 PM
Hmmm... Damaged flexplate? Does it do it in drive when you are not moving? Does it get change a lot with RPM's?

enRo
11-03-2006, 03:12 PM
Hmmm... Damaged flexplate? Does it do it in drive when you are not moving? Does it get change a lot with RPM's?

It doesnt do it at idle in drive, mostly in overdrive at low RPM's

Batman
11-04-2006, 06:00 AM
I still think it is a converter issue.