PDA

View Full Version : not getting e-mails

JSPERFORMANCE
11-03-2006, 08:29 AM
I have stopped receiving e-mail notifications when some one pm's me or a reply has been made... Is there something wrong on your end or mine???

Tru2Chevy
11-03-2006, 08:37 AM
I'm gonna lean towards something on our end. Emails have been acting kinda funny since the server switch.

Did you receive the email newsletter that we sent on October 30?

::edit::

I made a change in the settings that I think should fix the problem. Let me know if it continues to happen....

- Justin

JSPERFORMANCE
11-04-2006, 07:58 AM
I didnt get the reply e-mail when you just posted this..
And no i didnt get the 30'th e-mail

Knipps
11-04-2006, 10:14 AM
i got the 30th email.. so it went out

Tru2Chevy
11-05-2006, 01:37 PM
Josh,

Double check your email address in your profile, and also your email subscription settings. Nothing should have been changed during the move, but stranger things have happened.

I have also made a few more changes, so there shouldn't be anything more with vBulletin that is holding up the mail.

- Justin

camaro2you
11-05-2006, 04:53 PM
i havent been receiving them either.

IROCdan330
11-05-2006, 07:39 PM
justin im still not receiving mail as well...

Tru2Chevy
11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
Well, I've checked every setting possible, and sent out test emails using vBulletin's email diagnostic feature, and everything has checked out perfectly.

The only thing I haven't checked yet is the email log from the server to see if any errors are showing up there, but otherwise everything is good on our end.

It could be that you guys are using an email provider that is either denying messages from njfboa.org, or is classifying them as spam. Please check the preferences on your accounts and make sure that you have it set to allow emails from the njfboa.org domain, or the admin@njfboa.org address.

- Justin

WildBillyT
11-08-2006, 06:34 PM
AOL?

Chances are the emails from here are being bounced by their spam filter. We have problems sending to people at AOL at work, and actually it's par for the course with them. Tons of places have trouble sending to AOL.

V
11-08-2006, 07:06 PM
i dont get them either, i have optimum online and it was fine before the server switch

Tru2Chevy
11-08-2006, 07:39 PM
Yes, most of the people who have said they aren't getting anything have AOL email addresses.

- Justin

camaro2you
11-08-2006, 11:44 PM
justin i checked all my settings and im all good, i also have a msn address and i made shure that it was on the safe list.

Teds89IROC
11-09-2006, 10:08 AM
All my stuff is good. If AOL detects spam it sends it to the spam folder...no NJFBOA mail in there...it's a mystery lol

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 10:20 AM
I don't think AOL is handling it as spam. AOL is very picky about the e-mail that it accepts:

Many large service providers such as Verizon, AOL and MSN are implementing aggressive filtering. In many cases, the customers of these providers can place the email address you use for notification in their contact list and then your emails will be allowed through. If this doesn't work, you should contact the provider in question and ask to be placed on their whitelist. Some providers will charge a listing fee for this.

In addition, AOL (and possibly others) will not accept emails from domains that do not have reverse DNS setup. It's possible these emails are being placed into a spam folder or are being filtered out.

The problem could also be caused by aggressive spam filters on the user's machine. In these cases their anti-spam software should be configured to allow emails from your domain name. Refer them to the documentation for the software they are using.

I am currently logging every email that gets sent from the server, and so far I don't see any errors. I'm still looking into the issue as quickly as I can.

- Justin

WildBillyT
11-09-2006, 10:25 AM
I don't think AOL is handling it as spam. AOL is very picky about the e-mail that it accepts:

I am currently logging every email that gets sent from the server, and so far I don't see any errors. I'm still looking into the issue as quickly as I can.

- Justin

In addition to that AOL is delaying the delivery of emails (throttling) and is trying to force people/places to pay for guaranteed delivery (goodmail). Getting on their whitelist requires jumping through a few hoops IIRC.

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Yea, AOL = teh suXor. If any AOL people want good reliable email, let me know. I'll hook you up with a Gmail account.

I just went through the email log, and I saw that emails were successfully being sent from our mailserver to SmokingSS, IrocDan330, camaro2you, and Teds89Iroc. Makes me think the issue is somewhere on your end....

# SUCCESS
# Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:13:31 -0500
# To: chevy35086 at verizon.net
# Subject: Reply to post 'ricer camaro photoshop'
# From: "NJFBOA" <admin at njfboa.org>
# Return-Path: admin at njfboa.org
# Auto-Submitted: auto-generated
# Message-ID: <200611081831.5290be578314@www.njfboa.org>
# MIME-Version: 1.0
# Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
# Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
# X-Priority: 3
# X-Mailer: vBulletin Mail via PHP
#
#
# Dear camaro2you,
#
# Tsar has just replied to a thread you have subscribed to entitled - ricer camaro photoshop - in the Multimedia forum of NJFBOA.
#
# This thread is located at:
# http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21492&goto=newpost
#
# Here is the message that has just been posted:
# ***************
# damn i only wish my car looked that sexy
# ***************
#
#
# There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.
#
# All the best,
# NJFBOA
#
# ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
# Unsubscription information:
#
# To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit this page:
# http://www.njfboa.org/forums/subscription.php?do=removesubscription&type=thread&subscriptionid=39482&auth=02d25e45e82de478b8d3e6bb62d306de
#
# To unsubscribe from ALL threads, please visit this page:
# http://www.njfboa.org/forums/subscription.php?do=viewsubscription&folderid=all
# ================================================== ===

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
After some more investigation, it appears that the problem might be related to DNS. Emails are being sent properly on our end, but some mail providers are picky about reverse DNS, and this may be causing the issue.

Not sure why this would be happening, because even though we are on a brand new server, we are still using the same DNS servers that we have been using for the last two years.

Still looking into it further.....

- Justin

Knipps
11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Yea, AOL = teh suXor. If any AOL people want good reliable email, let me know. I'll hook you up with a Gmail account.

I just went through the email log, and I saw that emails were successfully being sent from our mailserver to SmokingSS, IrocDan330, camaro2you, and Teds89Iroc. Makes me think the issue is somewhere on your end....

Gmail FTW

WildBillyT
11-09-2006, 01:29 PM
After some more investigation, it appears that the problem might be related to DNS. Emails are being sent properly on our end, but some mail providers are picky about reverse DNS, and this may be causing the issue.

Not sure why this would be happening, because even though we are on a brand new server, we are still using the same DNS servers that we have been using for the last two years.

Still looking into it further.....

- Justin

Justin, FWIW it may just be AOL shenanigans. Every few days at work I have to do an email broadcast to a few hundred people and it's not unheard of for a ton of the AOL ones to go undelivered. Our system is set up to the exact spec by AOL and we still get bounced.

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 01:37 PM
It's not just AOL though....seems that verizon.net and optonline.net address aren't going through either.

But either way, they are being sent out successfully by vBulletin, so I know that's not the issue. Going to be looking deeper into the mailserver log after I get out of work to see if I can pinpoint any problems that may exist there.

- Justin

WildBillyT
11-09-2006, 01:42 PM
It's not just AOL though....seems that verizon.net and optonline.net address aren't going through either.

But either way, they are being sent out successfully by vBulletin, so I know that's not the issue. Going to be looking deeper into the mailserver log after I get out of work to see if I can pinpoint any problems that may exist there.

- Justin

Earthlink is another one, and yahoo sometimes. Gmail and hotmail never seem to have a problem.

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 01:45 PM
Earthlink is another one, and yahoo sometimes. Gmail and hotmail never seem to have a problem.

Yup. Pretty much all of the mainstream free ones. Gmail is great though - got it a while ago and haven't looked back.

- Justin

V
11-09-2006, 04:08 PM
i turned off my optonline spam filter and still nothing...

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
i turned off my optonline spam filter and still nothing...

I'm about 99% sure that this issue doesn't have anything to do with spam filtering. Leaning more towards something with DNS. Only problem with that theory is that we are still using the same DNS server that we were using with our old server.

- Justin

WildBillyT
11-09-2006, 10:48 PM
Justin, you may already have seen this site, but if not, check this out:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

Tru2Chevy
11-10-2006, 11:07 AM
Yea, I've got the problem figured out. It is due to an issue with reverse DNS. Some email providers (AOL being the most notable) won't accept messages if they can't do a reverse lookup.

I'm talking to our webhost (who's DNS servers we use) to see what can be done about this.

- Justin

Teds89IROC
11-10-2006, 07:37 PM
awesome..thanks man

Tru2Chevy
11-13-2006, 05:15 PM
Finally got word from our webhost.

This should be corrected by mid-day Wednesday, at the latest.

Let me know if you guys are still not getting emails by Wednesday afternoon/evening.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
11-14-2006, 02:45 PM
Ok, seems as though the problem is fixed.

Are any of you still having problems receiving email?

- Justin

camaro2you
11-18-2006, 02:52 PM
Justin i am still not receiving emails.

88BluBird
11-18-2006, 03:43 PM
I too am not recieveing E-mails. i am an aol user:moon:

Knipps
11-18-2006, 03:44 PM
I too am not recieveing E-mails. i am an aol user:moon:

Gmail ftw

V
11-18-2006, 05:04 PM
negative on opttonline as well

Teds89IROC
11-19-2006, 12:14 PM
negatory over here

Tru2Chevy
11-19-2006, 08:17 PM
Hmm....back to the drawing board.

Ugh, stupid AOL.

- Justin

foff667
11-24-2006, 08:23 PM
FWIW I havent been receiving PM email notifications either...email addy in my profile is good as all my settings for receiving them are fine...just havent been receiving them lately for some reason...its a verizon account too so no aohell here.

Tru2Chevy
11-26-2006, 02:48 PM
Ok....seems to be affecting verizon, optonline, and aol users.

Anyone else?

Still pouring over email logs looking for errors....

- Justin

Frosty
11-26-2006, 10:46 PM
No email for me either, I'm on Comcast.

Tru2Chevy
11-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Still looking for answers....

For any of you that aren't receiving emails, please make sure that if your email provider uses a spam filter, that admin @ njfboa.org is listed as a "known" or "good" address, that way emails from us won't be delivered to your spam folder, or in some cases, not delivered at all.

- Justin

V
11-27-2006, 01:11 AM
i made sure my span filter was turned off

Frosty
11-27-2006, 06:15 AM
I never had a problem until you guys upgraded or switched servers.

I mean I don't care that much since I know what threads I post in. I'll check my spam filters though.

IROCZman15
12-03-2006, 09:13 PM
i dont get emails either from here.. i dont know why? can you check it/test it out ?

Tru2Chevy
12-04-2006, 07:44 AM
i dont get emails either from here.. i dont know why? can you check it/test it out ?

I see that you use AOL, so you are just being affected by the same DNS issue that everyone else is.

We are still working on a solution to this problem so that all of our users will receive their email.

- Justin

Tru2Chevy
12-04-2006, 01:18 PM
Just an update.

I have done lots of research over the last few days, and we have made the decision to switch to a more reliable web hosting company. This should end the email problem we are having as well. More details to follow later this evening.

- Justin

Knipps
12-04-2006, 01:35 PM
so this means the site will be down for extended periods of time again?

Tru2Chevy
12-04-2006, 01:44 PM

When we switch servers we expect there to be no more than a few hours of scheduled downtime. We feel that this will be much better than our current situation, considering that so far in the month of December our server has only been up 87.805% of the time (when we are supposed to have a 99.9% uptime guarantee).

- Justin

Knipps
12-04-2006, 01:51 PM

When we switch servers we expect there to be no more than a few hours of scheduled downtime. We feel that this will be much better than our current situation, considering that so far in the month of December our server has only been up 87.805% of the time (when we are supposed to have a 99.9% uptime guarantee).

- Justin

Any $$$ to back up that guarantee?

Tru2Chevy
12-04-2006, 01:54 PM

- Justin

Any $$$ to back up that guarantee?

We're working on that with our current host now.

- Justin

Teds89IROC
12-05-2006, 05:27 PM
good news justin!

IROCZman15
12-06-2006, 09:40 PM
thanks for lookin out for us AOL dudes! ! good work as always Justin

Tru2Chevy
12-15-2006, 09:37 AM
I'm hoping that you guys that subscribed to this thread will now get an email about this reply. Things have moved over to the new server now, and email *should* be functioning correctly.

- Justin

Teds89IROC
12-15-2006, 06:25 PM
I just got an e-mail for another thread i replied in...so all of them hopefully will work wooot!!

IROCZman15
12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
no i havent gotten any emails still.. no big deal tho, i check the forums every 3 days or so

Tru2Chevy
12-17-2006, 11:22 PM
no i havent gotten any emails still.. no big deal tho, i check the forums every 3 days or so

Have you subscribed to any threads or do you have email notification for PMs selected?

If not, check your email again. I am sending out a club newsletter as I type this message, so you should be receiving it soon.

- Justin

Knipps
12-17-2006, 11:25 PM
i didnt realize this was posted 2 minutes before i read it so i'll wait and see if i get the message..

V
12-20-2006, 01:27 AM
mines working fine again, just getting PM notifications a little late...like varies from a few min to a day or so

IROCZman15
12-20-2006, 05:01 PM
Justin, i am Now getting emails, it seems to be fixed, thank you... its worked for a few ddays now, thanks dude!

Knipps
04-06-2007, 10:51 AM
i think this is starting up again, i didn't get an email notification with my pm's earlier