PDA

View Full Version : Who the hell does OBDII LT1 tuning??

deadtrend1
11-03-2006, 05:41 PM
I need to delete AIR, EGR, bump up the rev limiter, compensate fuel for the cam, and everything only goes to 95.

Pcm4less i suppose is my hope, but I can find out if they support my car....

edit: i see mad28 supports it

Tsar
11-03-2006, 07:57 PM
pcm4less, cartek

Tsar
11-03-2006, 07:58 PM
what was so hard to find about pcm4less? http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=44&Itemid=40

Formulalt1
11-03-2006, 09:30 PM
With the ease of swapping in a OBD 1 hybrid system and how cheap they are at salvage yards. I don't get why you even want to keep a OBD2 system. The hybrid PCM's are much more tuner friendly and usually yield a extra 10 horse with the same tuner. I know if you go to pcmforless the first thing Bryan is going to recommend is swapping in a OBD1 hybrid PCM.

JSPERFORMANCE
11-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Not quite, Brian just did a tune for me for a customer's 96 Impala ss. The customer was concerned with doing the obd1 swap and Herter told him that he has the tuning down to where there is little to no benefit to doing the change..

Tim, are you going to get the thing done on a dyno or just a mail tune. I have a couple more lined up so if you want to get him to come out here we could make it worth his time..

Formulalt1
11-04-2006, 10:15 AM
Not quite, Brian just did a tune for me for a customer's 96 Impala ss. The customer was concerned with doing the obd1 swap and Herter told him that he has the tuning down to where there is little to no benefit to doing the change..

Tim, are you going to get the thing done on a dyno or just a mail tune. I have a couple more lined up so if you want to get him to come out here we could make it worth his time..
Well then you better tell Bryan to take this off his site http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=com_faq&catid=6#FAQ24

Hybrids are much more user friendly with much less chance of setting off a service engine light.

Savage_Messiah
11-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Well then you better take Bryan to take this off his site http://www.pcmforless.com/index.php?option=com_faq&catid=6#FAQ24

Hybrids are much more user friendly with much less chance of setting off a service engine light.

but with OBDII... HPTuners supported cars atleast... you can just delete the code that's causing the SES light...

JL8Jeff
11-04-2006, 10:32 AM
I don't know if you can even pass inspection swapping from OBDII to OBDI. If they don't care about the computer swap, they will still put the car on the rollers making emission's harder to pass. With OBDII you can just put some sims in and pass. Is the car going to be driven on the street or race only? Removing EGR and cats is illegal and it will make Al Gore mad!

http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/the_happy_carpenter/images/al_gore_rantin.jpg

Knipps
11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
don't wanna mess with the guy who inventer the interweb

deadtrend1
11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
I don't know if you can even pass inspection swapping from OBDII to OBDI. If they don't care about the computer swap, they will still put the car on the rollers making emission's harder to pass. With OBDII you can just put some sims in and pass. Is the car going to be driven on the street or race only? Removing EGR and cats is illegal and it will make Al Gore mad!

gonna keep the cats, but go with high flow cats. THe car will be driven on the street more so then the track.

Josh, I really would like a dynotune more then a mail tune. When do you plan on having this done, so that way I know my deadline to get this heap of **** back together.... :)

foff667
11-04-2006, 12:49 PM
yeah the main mail order tunes for lt1's are coming out of pcm4less & madz28...cant beat their prices...i think pcm4less has been around a little longer though.

Formulalt1
11-04-2006, 04:29 PM

http://happycarpenter.blogs.com/the_happy_carpenter/images/al_gore_rantin.jpg
Most people that use OBD1 in palce of obd2 swap in the obd2 again when they are going to get tested but if he is deleting Emissions equipment he wouldn't pass with either, so it doesn't matter.

Also, Kasey. You can delete the same sensors with OBD1 but you have more room for adjustment with less chance of setting off a light/code.

Savage_Messiah
11-05-2006, 03:38 AM
but my point is, who cares about being careful to not set codes when said codes can just be deleted?

ttpctsv
11-05-2006, 09:16 AM
NOT US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tsar
11-05-2006, 03:03 PM
NOT US !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
we know...

Rob WS6
11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
Most people that use OBD1 in palce of obd2 swap in the obd2 again when they are going to get tested but if he is deleting Emissions equipment he wouldn't pass with either, so it doesn't matter.

But who the hell wants to go through all that ****, for what, *maybe* 10hp? Not worth the effort and time it would take.

Formulalt1
11-06-2006, 10:09 AM
Look at all the other mods people do for 10 horse/1 tenth.. Compared to swapping in roller rockers, a catback, cold air intake, larger throttle body and so on and so on. Swapping a PCM is a breeze. I am not saying this mod is for everyone but if your not going to pass emissions regardless. Why not go with the part that will give you some more ponies?.

Also just for the sake of continueing this debate on it for no reason. If you had a OBD2 system and you didn't want the EGR or air pump clicking on or function and wanted a more performance aimed tune. You could leave your OBD2 PCM stock. Tune a OBD1 that you used for everyday driving, then when it came time to pass emissions you just take two bolts out, 4 harness and install the OBD2. May take all of 15 minutes once every 1 to 2 years.

I am sorry but if that is too much work for anyone to gain 10 horse, they are majorly lazy (and hell, I consider myself to be pretty lazy)

deadtrend1
11-06-2006, 06:33 PM
Look at all the other mods people do for 10 horse/1 tenth.. Compared to swapping in roller rockers, a catback, cold air intake, larger throttle body and so on and so on. Swapping a PCM is a breeze. I am not saying this mod is for everyone but if your not going to pass emissions regardless. Why not go with the part that will give you some more ponies?.

Also just for the sake of continueing this debate on it for no reason. If you had a OBD2 system and you didn't want the EGR or air pump clicking on or function and wanted a more performance aimed tune. You could leave your OBD2 PCM stock. Tune a OBD1 that you used for everyday driving, then when it came time to pass emissions you just take two bolts out, 4 harness and install the OBD2. May take all of 15 minutes once every 1 to 2 years.

I am sorry but if that is too much work for anyone to gain 10 horse, they are majorly lazy (and hell, I consider myself to be pretty lazy)

i never called you lazy. The thought of going to obd1 did cross my mind.

Also, i'm removing the EGR and air all together, not just disabling it

Formulalt1
11-06-2006, 07:55 PM
i never called you lazy. The thought of going to obd1 did cross my mind.

Also, i'm removing the EGR and air all together, not just disabling it
Oh, I am sorry. I didn't mean to imply you did. I should have used the reply feature to the post above mine. I was stating the lazy part in response to the comment about being so much work when infact its pretty simple thing to do. I know this mod isn't for everyone and hell, I removed my EGR & air pump within a few months of purchasing my car. So, I completely get where your coming from.

I was just sharing a opinion that works for a few I have talked to and who cars I have worked on but since you already considered it. Its nothing new to you. Good luck

John

JL8Jeff
11-06-2006, 08:23 PM
So have you passed inspection with your AIR and EGR removed? If a private garage passed it they are risking a serious fine passing your vehicle. I just don't get the reason to remove the AIR and EGR especially if you drive the car on a regular basis. Those 2 items don't function when under WOT so they aren't robbing any power. And the excuse that they clutter up the engine compartment is just ridiculous, look at a Corvette's engine compartment.

foff667
11-06-2006, 09:01 PM
But who the hell wants to go through all that ****, for what, *maybe* 10hp? Not worth the effort and time it would take.

actually its worth 0 hp

the only worthy reason I've heard is cost...thats it

obd1 stuff is next to free

obd2 software is $500 minimum investment and for many obd1 tuners its completely different & they'd have to relearn something...when they already know obd1 & its cheap why change?

foff667
11-06-2006, 09:02 PM
look at a Corvette's engine compartment.

you do realize this is an fbody forum right? why are we talking about vettes?

goddamn treehugger :lol:

Formulalt1
11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
So have you passed inspection with your AIR and EGR removed? If a private garage passed it they are risking a serious fine passing your vehicle. I just don't get the reason to remove the AIR and EGR especially if you drive the car on a regular basis. Those 2 items don't function when under WOT so they aren't robbing any power. And the excuse that they clutter up the engine compartment is just ridiculous, look at a Corvette's engine compartment.
My vehicle is registered in Putnam County NY where I own a house. No emission required but if it wasn't found to be necassary on a LT4, I don't need it. Not to mention with my cam, my extra cubes and my supercharger, I think removing a EGR or a air pump are the least of my emissions worries. The biggest reason to remove EGR is due to the fact its prone to leaking and often gets carbon deposit or fails not to mention the solenoid are pieces of crap.

The air pump and tubing also takes up a ton of space that can be used for a nice blower mounting bracket and the headers without the air and egr fittings flow better. The 1 -2 horse that can be found by removing the EGR are really irrelevant (probably not spelled right) but every bit helps in my book.

deadtrend1
11-06-2006, 09:58 PM
i could just say since the car is canadian, it came that way ..... :)

JL8Jeff
11-07-2006, 07:50 AM
My vehicle is registered in Putnam County NY where I own a house. No emission required but if it wasn't found to be necassary on a LT4, I don't need it. Not to mention with my cam, my extra cubes and my supercharger, I think removing a EGR or a air pump are the least of my emissions worries. The biggest reason to remove EGR is due to the fact its prone to leaking and often gets carbon deposit or fails not to mention the solenoid are pieces of crap.

The air pump and tubing also takes up a ton of space that can be used for a nice blower mounting bracket and the headers without the air and egr fittings flow better. The 1 -2 horse that can be found by removing the EGR are really irrelevant (probably not spelled right) but every bit helps in my book.

Well, I'll just finish with the fact that it's still illegal to remove EGR and AIR since it's a federal emission's. And, I passed inspection in NJ with my supercharged 93 Z28 which had no custom tuning, just an SLP chip and 160 t-stat. And that was the dyno roller emission's test. Every state is going to full emission's testing very soon so be prepared to put your stuff back on or make the car a limited use vehicle.

Tsar
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Well, I'll just finish with the fact that it's still illegal to remove EGR and AIR since it's a federal emission's.

dude everyone here knows that, can u just stop preaching already? speeding is also illegal and i bet you never do it too.

JL8Jeff
11-07-2006, 08:41 AM
dude everyone here knows that, can u just stop preaching already? speeding is also illegal and i bet you never do it too.

I'm trying to help you guys smarten up and not waste time and money. But I guess you'd rather just be stupid and risk losing your car and paying a big fine. Brilliant!

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Guinness-Bottle-Tee.jpg

Tsar
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I'm trying to help you guys smarten up and not waste time and money. But I guess you'd rather just be stupid and risk losing your car and paying a big fine. Brilliant!

http://www.80stees.com/images/products/Guinness-Bottle-Tee.jpg
this thread was about who tunes about OBDII not if one should remove EGR and AIR, and for gods sake its NOT YOUR CAR. if someone wants to remove egr and air let them.

JL8Jeff
11-07-2006, 09:01 AM
this thread was about who tunes about OBDII not if one should remove EGR and AIR, and for gods sake its NOT YOUR CAR. if someone wants to remove egr and air let them.

Ok, so by your logic it's ok to break the law. So if someone is walking around shooting innocent people then I guess I should just look the other way and let him. I'm trying to help the guy make informed decisions, you're just sticking your nose in like you always do and you offer nothing useful to the discussion.

Tsar
11-07-2006, 09:05 AM
Ok, so by your logic it's ok to break the law. So if someone is walking around shooting innocent people then I guess I should just look the other way and let him. I'm trying to help the guy make informed decisions, you're just sticking your nose in like you always do and you offer nothing useful to the discussion.
actually i have answered his questions, look at post number 2. And you're the one who has offered nothing but garbage here. we all know its illegal and don't try to compare murder to removing egr and air from your car, are you really serious? maybe having too much heat during the summer has really affected your hippy brain.

Knipps
11-07-2006, 09:08 AM
:popcorn:

Tsar
11-07-2006, 09:10 AM
he's on the level of wayfast when it comes to arguing, so its really no fun. :lol:

Formulalt1
11-07-2006, 09:13 AM
First off our cars are performance cars and most things enthusiats of these cars do to them increase performance but might also increase emissions. If everyone here was interested in emissions the topic of discussions would be about how we restrict our vehicles or check out the new hybrid I bought.

I love how someone compares removing emissions equipment to speeding (funny I would compare it more closely to pulling a tag off a mattress in a department store) then you jump to comparing it to murdering someone.

Funny how you tell the other guy he is sticking his nose in but yet what your doing after the member stated he has already made up his mind to do these mods is not doing this but informing him?. Very interesting.

I thought the comment about you being a tree hugger was a joke but you should definetly go buy a Hybrid since your so concerned. You totally need to see the Hybrid episode of south park.