PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Gen Exhaust Spacer

Untamed
11-07-2006, 11:44 AM
After pouring through the 88 Firebird GM manual (yeah the 4" thick one) I see the spacer and how it goes onto the passenger side pipe / collector, however I don't see anything about gaskets or other materials. So far I have the spacer bolted on metal to metal. I -think- that is what's causing my small exhaust leak.

Does anyone have a 3rd Gen with stock exhaust that could take a peek at the spacer on the passenger side next time they are under there and snap a pic / describe what you see?

Greatly appreciated.

JL8Jeff
11-07-2006, 12:48 PM
I'm guessing this is really like some form of heat riser valve. The early cars had it on the passenger side exhaust manifold. If it is similar, it needs gaskets on both side. Is it like this?

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/Images/wca/724026.jpg

Untamed
11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
No its a round piece the width of the pipe with two slotted grooves opposite each other on the outside of the spacer that guides the spacer between the two bolts coming from the manifold collector. The outside edge of the openings on both sides of the spacer are tapered to provide a sealed fit (I think) between the pipe on one end and the manifold collector on the other end. Unfortunately I dont have an electronic picture of it, just the exploded view of the manifold-to-pipe view in the GM manual.

If it turns out that the assembly described above really is a metal-to-metal fit, then maybe its the manifold gasket that is leaking against the head. That would suck.

Thanks for the help Jeff. If anyone has a picture of theirs assembled, I'd greatly appreciate it. Just want to verify what it looks like assembled.

I'm guessing this is really like some form of heat riser valve. The early cars had it on the passenger side exhaust manifold. If it is similar, it needs gaskets on both side. Is it like this?

http://www.ecklerscamaro.com/Images/wca/724026.jpg

NJSPEEDER
11-07-2006, 03:52 PM
if you can't find a gasket or anything, the coppertex from permastex is made for exhaust. get a good coating, let it tack up for a minute, and bolt it together
or you can jsut get headers and a good sounding cat back and eliminate all that crap :D

BonzoHansen
11-07-2006, 04:00 PM
Does it take exhaust 'donut' gaskets?

Untamed
11-07-2006, 08:01 PM
Does it take exhaust 'donut' gaskets?

Dunno what those are. it just seemed strange to have metal on metal. Of course I havent yet jacked the car up, turned it on, and climbed under it to look for obvious leaks without burning myself.

I like where yer head is Timmay. Headers may just solve my problem, but I've never put them on. If they can be put on while the engine is still in, then its a possible solution. If I have to pull the block then forget it.

Stupid annoying little issue!

WayFast84
11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
headers can be installed with the motor in the car, I have a set of flowtechs(at j0ns) ill sell to you, youll need a y pipe though, and I can lend a hand if you want.

but if not I understand..

BonzoHansen
11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
Does it take exhaust 'donut' gaskets?Dunno what those are.
It's a round ring like thing that is kind of gray-metallic that is beveled on each side. They come in different sizes, some add inserts. Like this:

http://www.ppeengineering.com/assets/images/Dgasket.jpg

(god damn, you can find a pic of anything on google)

V
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
the piece is factory metal to metal on the exhaust manifold side, and a ball and socket connection on the y pipe side.. most people use the red high temp RTV silicone on the manifold side.

BonzoHansen
11-07-2006, 09:49 PM
Manifold gaskets aren't that bad - they are slotted, slide right in. I suppose getting them out is the hard part. I think those manifolds warp, the ones in my 82 gave me more trouble than they were worth. I still have some gaskets laying around.

V
11-08-2006, 12:06 AM
i see no trace of any real gaskets nor have i ever when ive cut up any third gens.

just so everyone is on the same page, this is what we are talking about...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/exhaust.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/exhaust1.jpg

JL8Jeff
11-08-2006, 07:37 AM
That's fine for brand new metal, but once the metal rusts like that you'll need to either surface those mating flanges for it to seal or get some sort of gasket. I would just take the spacer down to Pep Boys and go through the exhaust gasket section. They have a ton of gaskets so it shouldn't be hard to find one that works. Otherwise you have to get them perfectly flat and level to seal up.

Untamed
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Excellent, thanks Paul! That's exactly it.

Ok, so it is supposed to be metal on metal but yeah, the metal under there is definately pitted, surface rust, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, I think you're right. I'll just drop the pipe and take the spacer in to match up some gaskets / gasket material. When the engine is at idle, there is just enough of a leak to hear it and see a small amount of exhaust gas wafting up through the engine bay on the passenger side. Not bad, but enough to notice and make the engine sound a little louder than it should.

Thanks guys.

The Fixer
11-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Excellent, thanks Paul! That's exactly it.

Ok, so it is supposed to be metal on metal but yeah, the metal under there is definately pitted, surface rust, etc.

Thanks for the suggestion Jeff, I think you're right. I'll just drop the pipe and take the spacer in to match up some gaskets / gasket material. When the engine is at idle, there is just enough of a leak to hear it and see a small amount of exhaust gas wafting up through the engine bay on the passenger side. Not bad, but enough to notice and make the engine sound a little louder than it should.

Thanks guys.

Great thread here, since I gotta do the same thing tomorrow! My testpipe flanges are leaking (got new gaskets already) but I should pull the y-pipe off and do gaskets at the headers there as well. I have a Mineke around the corner from my house, hopefully they have some gaskets in the right size.

Untamed
11-09-2006, 10:35 AM
This is the kind of stuff we need to collect in a tech section for Tips and Tricks for easy browsing.

Got the VBGarage and Trader Ratings. Now we need a QuikTek kind of section like TGO. :)

Tru2Chevy
11-09-2006, 10:41 AM
This is the kind of stuff we need to collect in a tech section for Tips and Tricks for easy browsing.

Got the VBGarage and Trader Ratings. Now we need a QuikTek kind of section like TGO. :)

We are getting there....can't do everything at once :-P

- Justin