PDA

View Full Version : Which heads are better?

84HOtransam
11-27-2006, 12:07 PM
Ive got a 350 with about 10 to 1.

it has the 186 camel hump heads 64cc chamber. unknown runner.

i would like to upgrade the to 113 ZZ4 heads that are for sale up on here.

the engine has a performer intake and 650 dp carb..old set up got 3300lb car to 13.4 @ 100..current cam unknown

I am going to swap out the heads and cam for something better matched...i will get a different intake if nessary as well..

1. spend money on my heads, port, re build, mill, then get cam and intake to match.

2. buy the 113's for sale in the classifieds and have them ported then get cam and intake to match

3. get new heads already done and matched with a cam and or intake

budget under 2g's...i want the heads and cam to work well together but not break the bank if i dont have to..

i want the engine to make power to 6000 primarly for drag racing.

Tru2Chevy
11-27-2006, 12:11 PM
The 113's are pretty good heads (I have a set on my car), and the weight savings of aluminum is nice.

Any idea what cam you want to go with? Or are you just looking for suggestions at this point?

- Justin

84HOtransam
11-27-2006, 06:21 PM
just suggestions..i just want a really good combo that would make great torque and power...ive got the money to spend and i want to do it once and do it right.. if the carb needs to be upgraded as well then so be it..

i need to figure out my current problem with the car and see how far apart the engine needs to come..that would also effect what will be done now..

what are other good head/cam combos..i was looking at the dart package and trick flow packages from summit

Tru2Chevy
11-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I like the XE series cams from Comp....I think the 274 or 284 would both be good for you depending on what heads you decide on. I have 113s and the 274 in my 400, and I don't have much work into the heads...just port matching and a small valve job.

I think the 274 and those heads would work well in your car. Grabbing a Performer RPM intake would help, and since it's a track only car, a small single plane would prolly work well too.

- Justin

NJSPEEDER
11-30-2006, 08:40 PM
i agree with justin, a simple and easy to deal with upgrade.
i would suggest lookin for a bit more carb. your current piece will be ok off the line but you will likely find the engine running out of breath at the big end.

84HOtransam
12-02-2006, 05:53 PM
i agree with justin, a simple and easy to deal with upgrade.
i would suggest lookin for a bit more carb. your current piece will be ok off the line but you will likely find the engine running out of breath at the big end.

thanks for the info

Rob WS6
12-06-2006, 11:29 AM
The 113's are good stock heads. About 20 or so cfm less flow than Vortecs from what Ive seen. 58cc chambers will up your compression a bit, and the small intake runner is great for torque. Up high though theyll suffer, so any cam with much over .500" lift and 240* duration @.050 will be pretty much useless and just take away the streetability.

Edit: Oh and this is NOT a sales pitch either. :lol:

84HOtransam
12-06-2006, 05:15 PM
yea thats what ive been reading/hearing...ive got the money to spend and ive already got good stock heads on there..plus the price is on the higher side of what ive seen for those so for now ill sit and wait

Rob WS6
12-07-2006, 12:44 AM
Yeah I hear ya. Stock l98 113's usually go anywhere from 4-500, only reason Im asking more for these is because they are off of a ZZ4 with the upgraded valvetrain. Not tryin to sell ya, just letting you know why the price is where its at.