PDA

View Full Version : goodbye emisions crap

maroman88
11-28-2006, 01:43 PM
if i get rid of all my emisions crap, ill have to get a custom burnt chip correct? i wanna get rid of the air system first merely for apperance and cleaning up the look of the engine bay, if i can get a little performance thatd be a plus too:) i hardly use the car and i got another year on the inspection but ill just go with the collector car inspection and keep it under 3k miles a year. anything else i should do?

BonzoHansen
11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
AIR? That shoud be easy to pull out, no chips needed.

Anything else?

V
11-28-2006, 04:19 PM
afaik, the SES will come on if it detects that the AIR diverter valves arent there. When i did that Monte Crapo, the guy who programmed the chip asked if i had removed the AIR system or not, i assumed he needed to know in order to set it up properly.

In my case also, i left the EGR intact and functioning still.

enRo
11-28-2006, 05:18 PM
I would imagine. My car is screaming for a tune now... its running like **** and running very very rich :lol:

deadtrend1
11-28-2006, 05:43 PM
you can remove the air on a thirdgen and no get any codes. Just reroute the belt.....

Fast92RS
11-28-2006, 05:50 PM
I just got the application for collector car registration. Its easy to get you have to make sure you have collector insurance on your car.

deadtrend1
11-28-2006, 07:44 PM
I just got the application for collector car registration. Its easy to get you have to make sure you have collector insurance on your car.

collectors car registration for what? removing the AIR system?

The AIR system doesn't effect your emissions after warmup. All it does it heats your cats up quicker during a cold start-up. The only way he would fail would be if they decided to do a underhood inspection and I never seen a inpection station do that personally.

Power gains of removing it ... NONE.
Pro's of removing it:
-Less clutter around the engine
-weight reduction (although not much)
-You find out that you have a passenger side valve cover

-1/2 inch female pipe caps from Home Depot or Lowes work well on the AIR tubes that come off the exhaust manifolds.
-You need to pinch, or cap off the tube that goes to the cat or cats

If sepentine (88-92)
-belt reroute must be done. If i can remember right (its been years) but i think its a 96.5" 6 ribbed belt.
-Belt must go from crank, to A/C, under tensioner, around the power steering, around the water pump, back to the crank
-Invest in a decent set of torx bits

If v-belt (87 and earlier)
-Its easy cause its a dedicated belt to the AIR pump and no rerouting must be done

JL8Jeff
11-29-2006, 09:27 AM
The AIR system doesn't effect your emissions after warmup. All it does it heats your cats up quicker during a cold start-up. The only way he would fail would be if they decided to do a underhood inspection and I never seen a inpection station do that personally.

I've seen just about every car have the hood popped open through inspection so that would be your biggest risk is if they see it's not there. By going with collectors status you get a 3 year registration with no inspection so you should be fine. I've never had a 3rd gen so I don't know if you need tuning to hide any codes.

maroman88
11-29-2006, 11:55 AM
they always open my hood but im guna go with the collectors next time its due in more then a year. also my cars check engine light has been perminatly on since the TPI swap

BonzoHansen
11-29-2006, 01:52 PM
...my cars check engine light has been perminatly on since the TPI swapYeah, that is probably not good... :lol:

maroman88
11-30-2006, 07:54 PM
I HAVE A PASSENGER SIDE VALVE COVER! and no new trouble codes. how hard is it and what is involved to remove the pump and pulley?

NJSPEEDER
11-30-2006, 08:34 PM
they don't plug in the OBD1 cars to check for codes, if the light isn't on and it passes teh sniffer you can usually skate by. the underhood check is also only to compare the emissions/belt routing sticker to what they see in front of them.
an easy solution is to wet teh sticker regularly and let it deteriorate until it is unreadable(can be blamed on enviromental causes and there is no law requiring replacement/maintenance of stickers) or you can get a stick from a full size mid 80's to late 90's truck since many of them did not have AIR systems.

maroman88
11-30-2006, 09:31 PM
yea but its goin to collector so i dont care anyway lol, i just need to get the pump out and a new belt

The Fixer
12-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Mike, if it's a serpentine setup, leave the belt on, loosen the 3 bolts on the pulley, then take the belt off and pulley. Once they're out, there's two more Torx 45 (I think that's the size) bolts holding the pump in place; a short one and a long one. You might have to give the pump a few raps with a rubber mallet just to loosen it from the bracket, but it'll come out. Then just put the one long bolt back in, because that runs all the way to the front of the block, and will help keep the bracket supported.

maroman88
12-01-2006, 05:09 PM
yup serpentine setup, ill give it a shot tomarrow

The Fixer
12-01-2006, 05:49 PM
Cool, be sure to post up the results!

maroman88
12-02-2006, 06:03 PM
annnd ran outa daylight, i had to put the winter rims on the red camaro today. im guna head over to home depot and find them caps for the air tubes off the headers

maroman88
12-06-2006, 03:13 PM
got the pump out pretty easily. off to an autoparts store to get a belt, i hope your right with the 96.5 inch

maroman88
12-06-2006, 04:59 PM
If sepentine (88-92)
-belt reroute must be done. If i can remember right (its been years) but i think its a 96.5" 6 ribbed belt.
-Belt must go from crank, to A/C, under tensioner, around the power steering, around the water pump, back to the crank

i got a belt, they had 96.6 inch. ive been messin around but i cant seem to get it on, it seems like it needs another inch or so.

i found this on TGO which is basically what u explained

http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine

deadtrend1
12-06-2006, 05:27 PM
If sepentine (88-92)

i got a belt, they had 96.6 inch. ive been messin around but i cant seem to get it on, it seems like it needs another inch or so.

i found this on TGO which is basically what u explained

http://www.thirdgen.org/serpentine

Ah, the classic Pablo Morales smog delete article. That thing is a epic.

If the belt is too short, take it back and get a longer one. I took me a few tries when I first did it.

maroman88
12-06-2006, 11:16 PM
the stock belt is a hair to big, do you no what size the stock one is off hand? maybe go 1/2" or an inch smaller?

maroman88
12-07-2006, 02:41 PM
mission complete:) picked up a belt thats 97.5 inches and it fit like a glove