PDA

View Full Version : Tightening Rockers

Untamed
11-30-2006, 02:55 PM
In an effort to determine if the clicking sound I hear when the engine is running, is coming from a loose rocker, I opened up the passenger side valve cover (not an easy thing with all that crap in the way) and wiggled the rockers. My car uses flat tappet rockers, not roller rockers.

I noticed two of them seemed to wiggle in place, while all the others did not so I tightened both a little more than they were, without actually tightening the bolt until it was snug. After putting everything back together, the car wont start.

Could over tightened rockers prevent the car from starting? Or is there something I need (should have done) to do to get the car started since I pulled off the valve cover and disconnected several vacuum lines? Everything appears to be back together like it was before.

Fast92RS
11-30-2006, 02:58 PM
You have to lash the valves in a certain sequence. Here is a link on how to do it propely. http://www.centuryperformance.com/valveadjustment.asp

Untamed
11-30-2006, 03:14 PM
Aw damn. So simply loosening the two that I tightened may not fix the problem? I'm such a noob.

Tru2Chevy
11-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Well, if you overtightened those two only, backing them off could get the car started. Make sure you readjust them properly before running the car though.

- Justin