PDA

View Full Version : balancer installation...TQ ?s

V
12-12-2006, 04:15 PM
ok, i'm in the process of installing the new balancer on my motor.
its an ls1 so i have a new balancer bolt ready to go in on the final torque down, and i'm using the old bolt to install it. However.. the torque/installations spec for the balancer are to torque it down with the old bolt to 240ft lbs. my problem in my wrench only goes to 150ft lbs.
When i installed the balancer i got it most of the way on until several threads cought solidly then i tightened the old bolt to pull it on. That worked fine. Once it was almost all the way, i switched to my impact gun and finished tightening it up. I'm not sure what the TQ specs of my air gun are so im not sure of the torque currently. Its at least 150ft lbs cuz my wrench maxed out. I dont know how important it is for LS1s to reach 240ft lbs. The install says to do that, then remove the old bolt, and throw it away, then take a brand new bolt, torque to 37ft lbs, then go another 140degrees. Basically the 240 is just to make sure it is set all the way on the crankshaft, but with the gun, its not moving any more at all. Should i try to find a wrench to borrow that goes to 240 or just air my compressor to max psi and hit it one last time with the gun? any suggestions/opinions?

EDIT: here are the specs...

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Installation Pass-to Ensure the Balancer is Completely Installed) 240 lb ft

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (First Pass-Install a NEW Bolt After the Installation Pass and Tighten as Described in the First and Final Passes) 37 lb ft

Crankshaft Balancer Bolt (Final Pass) 140 degrees

Rich189
12-12-2006, 04:21 PM
i wouldnt know the answer but id say better safe then sorry.... if i were u id go buy one that goes to 240 if a friend doesnt have one then return it

V
12-12-2006, 04:34 PM
just looked online.. autozone loans a TQ wrench that goes from 30-250ft lbs... so ill run up there tonight.... and yes, i was thinking the same as you.. "better safe that sorry"

Knipps
12-12-2006, 06:25 PM
wise decision

V
12-12-2006, 10:20 PM
i got the TQ wrench tonight. i didnt realize how their "free" loan-a-tool program works though, pretty stupid.. you pay full price for the tool, then they refund you when you bring it back... yes i get my money back, but i just had to put $100 more on my credit card. Id rather they just get like a $30 deposit or so... but whatever not much choice i had...