PDA

View Full Version : Stock or Aftermarket Lifters

ar0ck
12-12-2006, 08:08 PM
For my new motor set up I was just curious about the difference between a set of aftermarket and stock lifters. I have 2 sets of OEM ones with about 100k miles on both of them. But is there any benefits of going with an aftermarket version? Does anyone have any suggestions or stories?

The car is a simple bolt ons CC306 car with ported heads & intake.

Fast92RS
12-12-2006, 09:15 PM
I dont think there is any benifit of getting aftermarket roller lifters. OEM or OEM replacement roller lifters are just fine. I dont see the need to spend alot of money on performance lifters. Then again stock GM roller lifters go for as much as $40 each. You can get Summit or another name brand for around $10 - 20 a lifter and still have good performance and life out of them.

Pampered-Z
12-13-2006, 07:53 AM
You are going to want to use aftermarket lifters. You have two options Comp Cam Comp R lifters or Morel. There have been past issues with people using the Comp R lifter coming apart. I'm not sure if it's still an issue or not. The morel are top of the line, and with that you will pay a premium. About double the price. I've run the Comp Rs for years with any problems.

You don't to run stock lister with that many miles. The spring pressure you need for the 306 is too much and will collaps them. Even new stock lifters might be an issue so I would spend the few extra dollars and upgrade.

JB

j0n
12-13-2006, 08:01 AM
:stupid: and the issues with the Comp R's seem to still exist, as only the older sets(no doubt the ones you run john) were the non-issue ones

NJLT1SS
12-13-2006, 11:51 AM
OK, I will give my input on lifters. I have used 3 different ones: stock, Comp R's, and Morels. I reused the stockers when I did the cam/head swap on my stock bottom end. I was running TEA stage 3 ported LT1 castings, and a Comp cam 230/236 @.050, with around .570 lift with 1.6's, and springs matched for the cam. I buzzed the motor to about 6600 RPM many times, and the lifters held up fine, it was just a rod bearing that didn’t. That setup lived for about 3K miles. So, from there project 396 was underway, and I then went with Comp R's. They worked fine in the 396, until one of them had a clip blow off the top. So, I took them out, and I figured while I did, I could compare the stockers to the Comp R. To be honest with you, other than the ****** clip that Comp uses them to hold them together, the lifers are pretty much the same. All I could assume, or at least I have heard, is that the Comp R's might be built to slightly tighter tolerances than the stockers. So, from there I ordered a set of Morels. OK, they may be twice the price, but it’s a 10x better lifter. The lifters are made of a much better material, and all built within a very close tolerance. The top of the lifter body is a little taller, which is great if you are running a small base circle cam, and the top of the lifter sinks below the retainer. From what I hear they are made to handle just about any hydraulic roller that you can throw under them, and they can handle tons of spring pressure. There is a lot more information about them out there, I’m sure Google will come up with it. The car ran great after the lifter upgrade, but I can’t make a comment on just them. I also got rid of my Comp Cams roller rockers and studs, and upgraded to a set of Jesel SS series shafts. Night and day difference between the two setups. What are the specs on the cam you plan to run? How much RPM will you spin it? I would have to say if you have a set of low mileage stockers, you will be fine going with them. If you have the extra cash to spend, go with the Morels, you will have no regrets with them. I hope this info and experience helps you out, let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Oh, if you are on a budget, and want a set of low mileage stockers, I have a set with like 30K miles on them that I was going to put up for sale soon. Let me know, and good luck with the build.

Knipps
12-13-2006, 12:19 PM
:stupid:
not reading that whole thing... :lol:

ar0ck
12-13-2006, 02:29 PM
My current set up is:
-Comp Cams CC306 (230/244 .544/.576 112 lsa)
-Comp Magnum 1.52RR
-Comp .0072 Chromemoly Push-Rods
-Comp 977 spring
-Comp Ti +.050 retainers/seats/locks
-ARP 7/16 studs
I've had this cam in the car on stock lifters and now Im rebuilding a new(ish) motor... go figure :roll:

Im trying to keep this somewhat budget, but I defenitly don't want to be rebuilding another motor in a few thousand miles. The car will be seeing limited street & strip action next year, but more street then strip.

For those Moral lifters, what am I looking for from Summit? If anyone get get me a parts number or a good place to get them at the right price I'll probably just buy them tonight.

Thanks for the Info.

Pampered-Z
12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes, my lifters are 3-4 years old. at the time they were the only option or I would have went morel.

Remember we never used the words budget and Morel together!

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=4&pcid=107

WildBillyT
12-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes, my lifters are 3-4 years old. at the time they were the only option or I would have went morel.

Remember we never used the words budget and Morel together!

http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog/?action=vshop&vid=4&pcid=107

If you really want to ****, take a look at Schubeck's Roller-X series.:drool:

johnjzjz
12-13-2006, 07:17 PM
OK, I will give my input on lifters. I have used 3 different ones: stock, Comp R's, and Morels. I reused the stockers when I did the cam/head swap on my stock bottom end. I was running TEA stage 3 ported LT1 castings, and a Comp cam 230/236 @.050, with around .570 lift with 1.6's, and springs matched for the cam. I buzzed the motor to about 6600 RPM many times, and the lifters held up fine, it was just a rod bearing that didn’t. That setup lived for about 3K miles. So, from there project 396 was underway, and I then went with Comp R's. They worked fine in the 396, until one of them had a clip blow off the top. So, I took them out, and I figured while I did, I could compare the stockers to the Comp R. To be honest with you, other than the ****** clip that Comp uses them to hold them together, the lifers are pretty much the same. All I could assume, or at least I have heard, is that the Comp R's might be built to slightly tighter tolerances than the stockers. So, from there I ordered a set of Morels. OK, they may be twice the price, but it’s a 10x better lifter. The lifters are made of a much better material, and all built within a very close tolerance. The top of the lifter body is a little taller, which is great if you are running a small base circle cam, and the top of the lifter sinks below the retainer. From what I hear they are made to handle just about any hydraulic roller that you can throw under them, and they can handle tons of spring pressure. There is a lot more information about them out there, I’m sure Google will come up with it. The car ran great after the lifter upgrade, but I can’t make a comment on just them. I also got rid of my Comp Cams roller rockers and studs, and upgraded to a set of Jesel SS series shafts. Night and day difference between the two setups. What are the specs on the cam you plan to run? How much RPM will you spin it? I would have to say if you have a set of low mileage stockers, you will be fine going with them. If you have the extra cash to spend, go with the Morels, you will have no regrets with them. I hope this info and experience helps you out, let me know if I can answer anything else for you. Oh, if you are on a budget, and want a set of low mileage stockers, I have a set with like 30K miles on them that I was going to put up for sale soon. Let me know, and good luck with the build.

you might want to re think the ( i dident have a problem with them the lifters ) you might have had a real problem -- stock lifters will start to pump out and empty ( causing a lift change @ the valve ) at around 5000 some a little more say 6000 -- but when you add spring pressure it all changes -- we have found at high engine speeds and high spring presure the lifter starts to soak up the cam lobe lift -- and this might have been your rod issue -- the exhaust is pushed out and so if the lifter looses its lift -- extra left over super hot exhaust gases are present in the cylinder causing super high cylinder pressure -- that in turns causes the rod bearings in a soft street bearing to mush out and distort ) race bearings are known as HARD style -- cylinder presure does not affect the circle like a soft bearing insert -- hope you know what i mean -- so as was said a performance lifter has an anti pump devise in the valving of the lifter to stop the problem -- need more info i can go on but i think you get what i am getting too -- High performance is the whole deal not just some --- jz

ar0ck
12-15-2006, 11:58 AM
Would I have to change my push-rod length if I went with the Morals?

Firebird67dude
12-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Alex let me know what your gunna do. MY moms friend owns Coast Automotive in Hackensack. I can probably get a killer price.

johnjzjz
12-15-2006, 03:56 PM
You do not need the MORAL:S -- comp is more than enough lifter for what you are doing --- our mid 8 and mid 9 second cars do not have Morals -- they use crower -- but thats a solid roller -- jz