PDA

View Full Version : MAF questions

maroman88
12-16-2006, 02:12 PM
so ive had a code 34 and 36 sicne i did the tpi swap on the 88. code 34 is sumthin with the maf and code 36 is with the burnoff relay. the relays all work, the wiring is all in good shape. the car stumbles like hell when u stop at a red light and even stalls sometimes, i cleaned up the IAC and the TPS is adjusted properly. wat elllseee?

The Fixer
12-16-2006, 02:39 PM
I wonder if you have a vacuum leak somewhere after the MAF, causing the rough idle/stalling? That would also throw the MAF code, if it's picking up false air. How's the vacuum lines look? How about the plenum gaskets? All the bolts tight?

maroman88
12-16-2006, 02:45 PM
well i had new gaskets when i firrst did the swap but ive taken apart n reused them again, but it did it all along. all the bolts are tight. as far as i know the vaccum lines are routed correctly

best of both
12-17-2006, 06:21 PM
You can try to clean the wire that runs across in the mass air flow sensor. They get dirty from too much oil on a k&n airfilter as well as some aftermarket airfilters. The burn off relay heats the wire to clean it but certin contaminents wont burn off.

maroman88
12-17-2006, 09:31 PM
and how would you suggest cleaing it???

Tru2Chevy
12-18-2006, 09:39 AM
and how would you suggest cleaing it???

I would do a search to be sure (as others have discussed this before) but I think a few q-tips and some rubbing alcohol will do the trick.

Whatever you do be very careful with them.....

- Justin

best of both
12-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Gently with a qtip and alcohol or pull it off, carb cleaner and blow it off.

maroman88
12-18-2006, 01:28 PM
and would this imply descreening it?

BonzoHansen
12-18-2006, 02:07 PM
I would think a foam tipped q-tip, not a cotton tipped one from your bathroom. Right? Us old coots used foam tipped ones to clean tape deck heads, capstans and pinchrollers. Cotton tips would snag and leave fibers behind.

I'm assuming you have a manual and followed the diagnostic charts for those codes? ;)

best of both
12-18-2006, 04:03 PM
You are correct about foam. At the dealership we would clean with air intake cleaner and blow dry.

Batman
12-21-2006, 06:59 AM
Could be a bad MAF also, is it new? The TPI MAF's are extremely delicate, if you banged or dropped it even a few inches it may be screwed up. I don't know if they are different but depending on which engine you have (305 I am assuming) you may have a 350 MAF? They may be the same though so don't take it as gospel from me but I would think the calibration would be different since the 350 will pull in more air..

maroman88
12-21-2006, 08:57 AM
hmmm never thought about a 305 vs 350 maf... i wonder???

NJSPEEDER
12-23-2006, 03:21 PM
the calibration of the older maf's was generic. all you should have to do is unplug the battery for a few mins so the computer loses it's memory then start back up with the new MAF in place and it shoudl be able to read it fine.
if you still have a problem i would suggest looking around the wiring to see if anything shows signs of damage, old brittle wires can get little slices and crap in them pretty easy.

maroman88
01-03-2007, 09:50 AM
k i cleaned the MAF wire and reset the computer. only code 36 has come back up thus far.

Code 36- This code is related to the burn off relay failure. The ecm has failed to detect 12V on the black wire going back to ecm pin D12, when the relay is not energized. The most likely cause is a open black wire or orange power wire going back to a fusible link to the battery. If this code is present with codes 33 and 34, again as mentioned before, check all the connections and wiring.

ive got power to both orange wires and when i probe the black wire while the engine is running it causes a ground and makes it stall.

if i remember correctly the burnoff should engage after the motor is shut off? i dont think its engages, i dont feel the relay click

The Fixer
01-03-2007, 09:58 AM
Yes the burnoff relay clicks on and off once the car is shut down. IIRC, it has to run longer than a few seconds though; probably needs to see Closed Loop first.

98tadriver
01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
go carb'd lol