PDA

View Full Version : Power Wash the block?

ar0ck
12-16-2006, 05:39 PM
Is it safe to take a hose or a power washer with engine cleaner to a bare short-block?

It would have plenty of time to dry and all but is if safe?

The Fixer
12-16-2006, 07:13 PM
You can do that, but if it needs any machinework done, why bother? The machineshop should hot tank the block and install new freezeout plugs/cam bearings for you. Then all you have to do is paint it.

If you're just re-using the bottom end as is, then clean and scrape the goo off the outside (stiff wire brush with engine degreaser), mask it, and paint it. Spray some WD40 or motor oil down on the cylinder walls to avoid rust buildup, and put it inside a large plastic bag until you're ready to build it.

NJSPEEDER
12-16-2006, 08:52 PM
it's getting built anyway, jsut drop it off with the grease and dirt on it.

WildBillyT
12-17-2006, 07:57 AM
Is it safe to take a hose or a power washer with engine cleaner to a bare short-block?

It would have plenty of time to dry and all but is if safe?

Erm- what's a bare short block?

Do you mean a bare block? :D

You can powerwash away if you want to.

Artemis Entreri
12-18-2006, 11:58 AM
I was curious about this too, assuming you are doing a uber budget build and are going to use the stock bore and stuff. Its ok to power wash it just to get it cleaned up? I assume there isnt going to be enough water coing out of any powerwasher I will be buying to ruin any of the metal of a block.

WildBillyT
12-18-2006, 12:00 PM
I was curious about this too, assuming you are doing a uber budget build and are going to use the stock bore and stuff. Its ok to power wash it just to get it cleaned up? I assume there isnt going to be enough water coing out of any powerwasher I will be buying to ruin any of the metal of a block.

I'm curious-

How do you think you could ruin it by power washing?

Batman
12-18-2006, 12:04 PM
I'm curious-

How do you think you could ruin it by power washing?

Powerwasher with 250000 PSI? You should be fine, just don't let it rust. Dry it ASAP.

BonzoHansen
12-18-2006, 12:27 PM
I put my greasy mess of a SBC on a small rolling stand and duct taped up the ports and such. I put it in the back of my pickup, along with some ez off and some other degreaser and some scrub brushes, and went to the local self service car wash. There I cleaned all the big nasty stuff off. The EZ off really takes paint off. I did do some early pre-coats of ez off to get the ball rolling.

When I got home, I put it on a taller engine stand and cleaned every nook & cranny with lacquer thinner, rags & brushes, even a toothbrush. Then I masked off the intake and primed & painted it. Then I removed the tin and did them separately. I hate painted gaskets. :)

With any luck, the paint will stick when i start it again.

Artemis Entreri
12-18-2006, 03:50 PM
Lol I figured you could not ruin it, but i'm just getting into the car hobby pretty recently, better to ask stupid questions first then do something stupid later. :)

ar0ck
12-18-2006, 04:22 PM
I think Im just going to hand clean it. Box of Rags here I come!

Untamed
12-19-2006, 09:57 PM
Lol I figured you could not ruin it, but i'm just getting into the car hobby pretty recently, better to ask stupid questions first then do something stupid later. :)

Amen to that. Glad to see another newbie in the arena.

Like it was mentioned before, if the block is going to be rebuilt by someone, then just drop it off and let them do the clean, prep, rebuild for you.