PDA

View Full Version : Starting issues???

njcamaroz2895
01-02-2007, 02:10 PM
My car usually sits during the week and when I go to start it as I go to turn the key over it just makes a clicking sound . I had the battery replaced and checked the alternator. My mechanic thinks the starter is the problem but he is not too experienced with the LT 1 motor. Could the opti spark be a problem??the car has 145.000 miles on it, thanks scott!

SupermanX24
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
I would have guessed it was the battery, but you said you replaced it. Normally if you have a bad starter, it'll try to crank at least, or here it winding up. Bad wiring maybe? Someone else back me up...

NJSPEEDER
01-02-2007, 02:56 PM
it sounds like a starter issue.

Tru2Chevy
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Clicking when turning the key is a starter issue 95% of the time.

I would see if you can find a friend with a properly working starter to test this theory, as LT1 starters aren't cheap.

- Justin

FESTER
01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Yep sounds like you need a starter GM#10465293 AcDelco#323-488

njcamaroz2895
01-02-2007, 07:27 PM
I apprecaite the help where can you get any better information than from the people who drive these awesome f-bodies. Most cars usually occur the same mechanical malfunction issues. Again what a great site for us owners thanks scott!!

BonzoHansen
01-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Your mechanic is a knucklehead. :) A starter is a starter, in theory. All he has to do see what kind of load it is pulling when it won't start. I'm sure he has a vat-40 or something to test it. You might need to leave it overnight or 2 with him.

Pampered-Z
01-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Scott,

A little more info please. Just to clarify: When you say clicking, this means the engine doesn't turn over? If you jump the car it will then start? But after a week it's clicking again? Or do you mean something else?

Reason I ask, and to give you some idea as to what we could look at as the cause,,,

Clicking after a week could be you have something draining the battery, Aftermarket radio, amps, alarm, ing. switch ( Ign switch was a problem a member had recently they took allot to figure out! ) Maybe a bad wire to the starter or even corrosion on the terminal it resulting in bad contact causing not enough volts? And it won't be the first time a new batt was bad!

Normally a bad starter would always fail to turn the engine over every time or even more of a problem when the engine it hot, not cold. So it happening after a week of sitting doesn't seem to point to a starter, could be, but you need to rule other some other things first.

Do you have access to a volt meter? I would first suggest checking the battery's voltage after the car runs then again after a week of sitting. OR, run the car so you know the battery is charged, then shut the car off, disconnect the batt. and then after a week reconnect it and see if the engine turns over without needing a jump. If so, then this would point to something draining the battery.

So before you start throwing parts at the problem you need to limit the point of failure a bit more.

And, no a bad opti would not act this way but at that many miles your probably not far away from it failing.

John

** this reply has been speel chicked via Microsoft word for Bonzo's state of mental health. ** :clown:

BonzoHansen
01-03-2007, 02:12 PM
** this reply has been speel chicked via Microsoft word for Bonzo's state of mental health. ** :clown::moon:

SupermanX24
01-03-2007, 08:03 PM
Pampered-Z pretty much said everything that was on my mind, but I wasn't 100% sure, and was damn sure too lazy to type it all out. He knows what he's talking about ;)

njcamaroz2895
01-04-2007, 07:35 PM
when I turn the key I hear one clicking sound and then nothing only after many turns of the key does the car start right up then the car will start all day long. Once parked after a day of sitting it is the same thing all over again.While driving the amp gauge is good. I put in a new battery after my mechanic ruled out the alternator but he said the battery volts were low. I do have an aftermarket radio in . I also have glow dash gauges installed which is activated by a switch.