PDA

View Full Version : starting problem...

Kid Racer
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
hey guys well i finaly got my tranny in and i cant even test it out cause my car wont start..okay i have power,,,i can get under the car and manuly jump the starter..but when i try with the key i get nothing every now and then ill get a click and tahts it...can someone please help me....:cry:

Untamed
01-10-2007, 08:45 AM
Neutral safety switch knocked loose?

camaro2you
01-10-2007, 01:57 PM
Neutral safety switch knocked loose?

:stupid:

V
01-10-2007, 03:29 PM
afaik, the neutral safety switch is on the shifter so if that wasnt messed with, i doubt thats the problem.

When you say you get a click every now and then makes me think its more an igniton connection or switch issue

Kid Racer
01-10-2007, 08:08 PM
well i switched starters tonight and that is what it was my starter went bad when i pulled my tranny out....

98tadriver
01-10-2007, 08:25 PM
weirdd, but good to see that shes running again!

Kid Racer
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
well yeah but no...see she will shift into reverse..and into first but thats it so i have too call tci tomorrow...cause the kit i got came with paper work and all and how too put it together so we went by it...and it said too only put 4 check balls back into it...and i takes 7 ..,.so something aint right....

NJSPEEDER
01-14-2007, 02:23 PM
it is common to remove check balls when installing a shift kit. they are there to prevent or restrict fluid flow to certain parts of the valve body to help soften the shifts.
if you can drop the pan, check to make sure the shifter arm is catching the plunger inside the trans. it is easy to overlook, evil90ss and i found out the hardway once. lol

CALL911
03-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Glad to see it worked out. Are those starters hard to replace in the 3rd gens?

Tru2Chevy
03-02-2007, 02:16 PM
Glad to see it worked out. Are those starters hard to replace in the 3rd gens?

Starters in a stock third gen are pretty easy to swap. Some headers make them more difficult, but most aren't bad at all.

- Justin

Untamed
03-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Just replaced the starter in my 88TA a short time ago. The only tricky part is dropping the passenger side pipe so you have enough room to remove the starter. Make sure you have a multi joint for your sockets so that you can loosen the bolt holding the retaining bar in front of the starter. The bolt is at a wierd angle on the engine block.

chrisfrom nj
03-06-2007, 09:53 PM
Just replaced the starter in my 88TA a short time ago. The only tricky part is dropping the passenger side pipe so you have enough room to remove the starter. Make sure you have a multi joint for your sockets so that you can loosen the bolt holding the retaining bar in front of the starter. The bolt is at a wierd angle on the engine block.dave i take the starters out without droping the pipe

Untamed
03-07-2007, 10:44 AM
dave i take the starters out without droping the pipe

I tried doing that, stopping short of banging the pipe with a hammer to get it out of the way. Even with the car up on stands, the starter wouldn't clear the pipe / control arm. I've heard the LT1 starters are smaller, and can bolt up to 3rd gens, so they might come out easier. But I definately had to drop the pipe to get mine out. :shrug: