PDA

View Full Version : ? on a enigine swap

camaros_4life34
01-23-2007, 01:51 PM
i have a 1990 formula with a 305 tpi engine i want to swap it with an ls1 5.7 what all is need to do this do i need to change the computer or just upgrade it will i have to change my fuel supply the wiring harnest anything i need to change to make this engine swap work i need to know im new with fuel injected motors im used to carberated but i hear you get more power with fuel injected motors and ive been told that the ls1 is the way to go

Knipps
01-23-2007, 02:17 PM
wow, that is one beast sentence...
but :welcome:

camaros_4life34
01-23-2007, 02:18 PM
lol thanx

V
01-23-2007, 03:55 PM
to put an LS1 in a 3rd gen, youd need the following(and possibly more if i forgot anything):

engine cradle(k member for ls1 in 82-92)
transmission mount(for ls1 in 82-92)
stand alone wiring harness(just easier than converting stock to work)
conversion headers for ls1 in 82-92
driveshaft may be needed, even though length stayed the same, LS1 engine is located further back when in a 3rd gen.
upgraded fuel pump is recommended but not needed(tpi pump should work ok for a semi-stock ls1)

those are the main things

foff667
01-23-2007, 04:18 PM
other then that whole engine/tranny thing of course :lol:

from what I've seen the swap actually doesnt look all that difficult.

NJSPEEDER
01-23-2007, 08:36 PM
to put any LSx engine + trans into a thirdgen you will need swap motor mounts, the complete LSx computer and wiring harness, and either an exhaust fabricated off of the stock manifolds or swap headers.
the transmission will actually mount in the same spot and you can retain your stock driveshaft/suspension parts.
you will also want to upgrade yoru fuel pump. jsut grab a walbro 255lph replacement pump and drop it in place of the stocker.
the only other fuel system modification needed is to adapt the fuel lines, which is no big deal.
there are kits available, swap motor mounts, swap headerss, and modified wiring harnesses out there from companies like speartech, hawks parts, spohn, and i think even year one carries some of the swap stuff.
if you want to know mroe in detail, visit the hybrid and conversion forum on www.LS1tech.com there are a bunch of people there that have done the swap, it is not realy difficult at all.

Ian
01-24-2007, 07:45 PM
http://www.speartech.com/

this would be a great place to start poking around to get an idea of what all is needed and where to get it from. LS1tech also has a great hybrid and engine swap forum.

BonzoHansen
01-24-2007, 07:55 PM
All you need is a BFH and some duct tape. Tell him, Timmy.

NJSPEEDER
01-24-2007, 08:19 PM
it's fuel injected man, you have to think high technology. ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!!! not duct tape.

this message does not apply to residents of the commonwealth of pennsyltucky

BonzoHansen
01-24-2007, 08:27 PM
it's fuel injected man, you have to think high technology. ELECTRICAL TAPE!!!!! not duct tape.

this message does not apply to residents of the commonwealth of pennsyltucky

I stand corrected. :nod:

Batman
01-25-2007, 06:26 AM
http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/ls1_conversion_parts
http://spohn.net/category.cfm?categoryid=1191

FWIW

I also know you won't be able to keep the stock LS1 A/C compressor unless you chop up the K-member, but the first link has a bracket kit to mount your stock 3rd Gen Compressor on an LS1. It's alot of work and alot of money to swap in an LS1 on a 3rd Gen, my personal advice would be go for an LT1/LT4 with a traditional distributor set-up (dump the Opti!). It bolts right in and then you just need wiring and a few nick-nacks. All your accessories will bolt in the original place and you will probably get it all done for $2500-$3000 less then an LS1. Or get yourself a nice 350 and have even more coin in your pocket. It doesn't take much modification to make a Gen 1 350 run with a stock LS1 and the TPI set-up can be re-used on it or upgrade to a stealth ram or some other big power intake. The only real gain you are going to get with the LS1 is fuel mileage.

NJSPEEDER
01-25-2007, 03:36 PM
you can keep the a/c on an LSx motor, you have to use the f-body mounting though. the corvette/truck/gto mounting and lines will interfere with stuff. if you get the engine from an f-body you should not need to modify your stock V8 k-member in any way.