PDA

View Full Version : Need eletrical help :(

grandkodiak
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
I'm absolutly sick of the problems my car is giving me in cold weather and I am 99.999% sure its a bad connection somewhere either around or perhaps even in the body control modual... but me looking at the wires back there is like a drunk autistic irishman trying to read chinese brail... its just not happening. Does anyone know thier way around the body control modual and the wires back there enough and be willing to take an hour or so to look over my car?

Break it down for you quick, whever its below freezing the electronics refuse to let you start the car... you have to sit and wait for a ticking noise to develop, which turns into the seatbelt bell sound, at which point the security light stops blinking (at the same frequency as the ticking) and then can start the car normally. The dome lights and locks even flash at the same pace as the ticking and operating the windows or lights causes you to have to wait until the ticking resumes, sometimes several minutes when its cold cold out! The radio works fine, you can blast away and the battery is perfect... so it HAS to be the BCM (and considering it actually has to do with EVERY electronic device giving me grief it HAS to be the problem). ive lived with the inconvinience long enough but now its getting to the point where sometimes i have to actually disconnect the battery and reset the computer to get the ticking noise to even START as the security light will just stay on and not let you do a damn thing... the other night it took almost a half hour for me to get the car started AND THERE IS NOTHING MECHINCALLY WRONG WITH IT!! runs awesome! starts awesome! when the cars warm or started in a warm place, not a damn thing is wrong!

anywho i'm blabbering... i ****ing hate it and its making me hate the car... either all the wires need to be double checked or the BCM replaced, but i cant make that call myself.

anyone willing to look it over? i work at circuit city and i had the alarm dudes look at it but they know general things about car electronics... i need someone who knows the wiring and bcm for a trans am :(

i found some awesome info on the internet but its still way over my head at http://www.bfranker.badz28.com/fbody/alarm96up.htm and unfortunatly that auther is in florida... but i need someone who knows as much about it as he does!

BonzoHansen
02-05-2007, 06:52 AM
It seems a lot of guys part the 4th gens out around here. Maybe grab a BCM and swap it and see if it changes.

V
02-05-2007, 12:30 PM
I have a BCMs from a 94 z28, 94 v6 bird, and 95 V6 camaro. IF any interchange, i'd be willing to let you test it out to see if it helps. If it does work, i'm only asking $20.

best of both
02-14-2007, 02:44 PM
If you can read the part number on your BCM you and get a GM parts guy to cross check the ones Smoking SS has. From what you are describing it sounds like a bad module or loose terminal that need a little heat to amke contact. Years ago in GM SET class. (Specialized Electronics Training) GM gave Techs a set of jumpers with every available terminal end. As new ones came out we could get them in the packard boxes at the dealerships. If you know a GM tech ask him to check the pin fit at your BCM connectors. Also make sure you are getting the proper voltage from the ignition switch and that your grounds are good. More problems than you can even think about are poor terminal contact. Plugging a new part in will help until the connection gets loose again.

grandkodiak
02-14-2007, 04:00 PM
I took all the connectors out and fuddled with the wires, its definatly one of the big relays in the BCM that is making the ticking. right now its considerably warmer but at the same time the problem has reduced a good amount, but now i cant be sure if it was something i did or something the warmer weather did. i ended up ordering the bcm anyway but its not stocked anywhere so i had to special order it from gmdirect.com the local retailrs wanted $220 for it and refused to give me the part number!!! **** them it was $120 online!

anywho, i still need a place to program it once its in i believe... or atleast thats what i was told. is this true? or are they plug and play? mine had the factory remote door open features and **** but i never recieved the original transmitter to use it, i bought it used and the car had a aftermarket viper alarm system... which i had replaced later with a newer one... the bcm i ordered is the same part number as the one thats in there now so i assume it will be ready for the factory remote system, but i dont want to have to pay for that to be set up, seeing as i dont even have a remote for it, and i have an alarm system anywho!

after the bcm is in i'm gunna bring it to the garage that did my heads/cam install and have them look at all the connections under the dash etc... too many wires under there that i dont know do what nor understand enough about the systems to take the time to learn... i'm def. the pay someone else to do **** and get it done right, or atleast with a garuntee that it wont be stuck.

i also need to get it tuned soon, the mail order tune is ok i guess but its developed a SEVERE hesitaiton/jerking from 1500-2000rpm when its cold which disapears after a few minutes! but its BAD and i'm scared somethings really wrong.