PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lt1...

Blackwizard222
02-13-2007, 08:27 PM
my 94 lt1 has a bad ticking noise probably due to the following condition; Pulled a spark plug and its covered in raw gas and oil. Pulled the dipstick, wasnt milky but the oil was thin and reeked of gasoline. the exhaust doesnt smell like coolant or oil, just like raw gas, yet it burns white. The car is also only achieveing 7mpg and it is stock except for a catback. Any idea? The coolant level is fine and isnt burned or anything and the car doesnt overheat.

You can hear the stock electric fuel pump inside the car buzzing away too. The car is also missing.

The guy i bought it off of last month had changed out the fuel pressure reg and opti. It ran fine when i got it for about a week until this problem arised.

I think its a bad fuel pressure regulator...Any opinions?

V
02-13-2007, 08:29 PM
either bad regulator, or bad injector(s)

NJSPEEDER
02-13-2007, 08:38 PM
sounds like an injector is leaking, that is about the only way to get enough gas in your oil to thin it out and make it smell.
sometimes it is jsut some dirt, you cnatake them out and have them cleaned. if it is more than that, stock injectors are inexpensive and can be found used for practically nothing.

Blackwizard222
02-13-2007, 09:45 PM
Gonna test the regulator friday. pull the vaccuum line off the reg and if i smell gas or its dripping out then its bad right? then pressurize the system and clamp off the return line. If pressure holds then its a bad reg? If it doesnt hold then i have leaky injectors?

Batman
02-14-2007, 06:58 AM
I don't hink it is the regulator if it is new, unless it was installed wrong. probably an injector. Just put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail, pressurize the system and see if you get an immediate drop off. If you do and there is no obvious leak it is probably a stuck injector.

karr95
02-16-2007, 12:20 PM
My car had a similar problem. The pully basically sawed one of the spark plug wires in half. It was dumping fuel into that cylinder and nothing was happening. I would check all the spark plug wires.

98tadriver
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
1st Problem is that its an LT1

:lol: j/k

i think it might be the opti possibly.
I heard of a trick, you get a spray bottle with water and spray around the opti and see if it arcs anywhere. then you know if you have a bad wire or opti (if it arcs near it) My buddy is having the same problem. raw gas smell and poor fuel economy

Pampered-Z
02-17-2007, 01:50 PM
I would do as already discribed, but not go after the Opti until after you rule out the easy stuff. Replacing the opti is not cheap!

Check for spark on each cylinder and check fuel pressure is holding. A test light for spark ( you can use a timing gun ) and a fuel gauge and Niod light are fairly cheap and always a useful tools to have. I would start looking at the cheaper parts first that as probably in need of replacement regardless. Check the wires and plugs. Are they the originals?

If you think it could be an injector the stock 24lbs are easy to get, I have a set of 24lbs from a 96SS if you need them.

John

Blackwizard222
02-17-2007, 06:32 PM
I fixed it yesterday guys. It was a collapsed lifter. Flushed the motor twice and it runs 100% now. I replaced all the spark plugs except #8 and #2. Any tricks on getting them out?

98tadriver
02-17-2007, 06:42 PM
a really good friend with small hands?

JL8Jeff
02-17-2007, 07:18 PM
#8 I would come up from the bottom. You need to drop the starter but it gives you extra room. #2 is small wrists/hands so I never have a problem with that one. :lol:

Blackwizard222
02-17-2007, 09:38 PM
#8 I would come up from the bottom. You need to drop the starter but it gives you extra room. #2 is small wrists/hands so I never have a problem with that one. :lol:

im 6'2 225 lol, my arms dont fit down there. I figured i would have to drop the starter, dam those gm engineers...

#2 im still stumped on..

deadtrend1
02-17-2007, 09:55 PM
im 6'2 225 lol, my arms dont fit down there. I figured i would have to drop the starter, dam those gm engineers...

#2 im still stumped on..

just a reminder to disconnect the battery first.

i cant remember how i did #2. I know it was a pain before i took the air tubes out...

98tadriver
02-18-2007, 09:37 PM
just a reminder to disconnect the battery first.

i cant remember how i did #2. I know it was a pain before i took the air tubes out...

I hope we all remember how to do #2

and i bet those Air tubes were quite the pain! :moon:

Pampered-Z
02-19-2007, 08:39 AM
To get to #2 pull the alternator off and should be able to get to it with a small socket or offset wrench. I use a offset/flank wrench which works very well.

The wrench looks like this:

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=all&item_ID=67979&group_ID=536&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog