PDA

View Full Version : Very minor oil leak

97Formula
02-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Ok, I've been noticing parts of the engine coated in oil (seems like the front and bottom mostly). I never have to add oil, and I never see drops of oil on the ground.

Do I need to be worried?

Fast92RS
02-17-2007, 04:18 PM
I would wipe it all down or clean it and just keep an eye on it and not really worry about it. Put something under the car time to time and see if it leaks on the ground. Until then dont worry about it.

NJSPEEDER
02-17-2007, 08:48 PM
i have seen a few people with LT1's talking about the intake gaskets leaking some oil before. my only concern with it being the front of the block would be the opti.

deadtrend1
02-18-2007, 03:27 PM
i have seen a few people with LT1's talking about the intake gaskets leaking some oil before. my only concern with it being the front of the block would be the opti.

I redid intake gaskets, timing cover gasket and seals and oil pan gasket and its still leaking. I think it make be comming from the dipstick on mine now.

ar0ck
02-18-2007, 08:34 PM
I redid intake gaskets, timing cover gasket and seals and oil pan gasket and its still leaking. I think it make be comming from the dipstick on mine now.

Same thing happened to me.

I think its just an Lt1 thing. i didn't notice any dramatic loss in oil though when I checked it through the dip-stick.

deadtrend1
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
Same thing happened to me.

I think its just an Lt1 thing. i didn't notice any dramatic loss in oil though when I checked it through the dip-stick.

i think its a anti rust mode. It keeps a coating of oil on the motor so it wont oxidize

Savage_Messiah
02-19-2007, 02:15 AM
minor oil leak on a 10 year old car? I woudn' worry unless it escalates

GREZ28
02-22-2007, 08:02 PM
I had my timing cover done, a little leak there. I still have a small one now just enough to get a few areas under the engine. I had it checked, and from what it looks like it might be the lower main seal. Which is not a good. But on the other hand it has been like this for a few yrs and it has not changed. So I can live with a few drops for now. I am just keeping an eye on it. You could also try to go 10-30 on your oil wich is a bit thicker and see if that helps a little.

camaro2you
02-23-2007, 08:26 AM
I had my timing cover done, a little leak there. I still have a small one now just enough to get a few areas under the engine. I had it checked, and from what it looks like it might be the lower main seal. Which is not a good. But on the other hand it has been like this for a few yrs and it has not changed. So I can live with a few drops for now. I am just keeping an eye on it. You could also try to go 10-30 on your oil wich is a bit thicker and see if that helps a little.

Off topic but i remember your car from the spring into summer at the promanade last year. I believe you won a trophy.

CALL911
03-01-2007, 08:00 PM
i think its a anti rust mode. It keeps a coating of oil on the motor so it wont oxidize

:kneeslap:

I think most LT1's with at least 50k on them leak at least a little bit. My Z did, until I got the new 383. My Formula actually hasn't leaked a drop. Being around the LT1 community a while though, most cars with a handfull of miles on them leaka little oil.

Better to leak it, than burn it like the LS1's do!:mrgreen:

deadtrend1
03-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Better to leak it, than burn it like the LS1's do!:mrgreen:

:scratch: :nono:

CALL911
03-02-2007, 06:37 AM
I have seen very few LS1's that leak (perhaps that just because they haven't been around as much as the LT1's). More than a handful of LS1 guys I've talked to said their motor burns a little oil here and there. If this is out of the norm, feel free to correct me.

V
03-02-2007, 08:51 AM
the ls1s dont "burn" the oil in the conventional sense. due to a poorly designed PCV system, the oil spray is sucked into the intake and that accounts for almost all of the oil consumption. The LS6 PCV system does a slightly better job of perserving the oil, but is still not perfect. The one large problem is that on the LS1s GM uses a check/ball type PCV valve and has it installed on its side... think about that one...oil in...oil out.

my ls1 had oil consumption issues. but then it did have a minor oil leak....

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d50/SmokingSS/blownls1a.jpg

CALL911
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
MINOR LEAK?! :huh:

Thanks for the info!

SupermanX24
03-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Nice, a modded see thru oil pan....oh wait....

Untamed
03-07-2007, 10:47 AM
Thats the "Oversized Drain Plug" mod. Someone just forgot to put it back in after the change. :)

Pampered-Z
03-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Just as everyone said, don't worry about a minor leak. There are 6 or 7 places that could be leaking. Most common are one or mote of the three seals in the front on an LT1 timing chain cover; Waterpump drive, Opti drive and crank, and as Tim mentioned, Intake gasket or it could be the timing chain cover itself or the pan gasket, or it could be the valve cover gasket as well. I would just check the valve cover bolts and pan bolts.

So try to wipe it down best you can and just keep an eye on things. There is so much crap attached to the front of the LT1 it's about impossible to track down the leak without pulling it all apart. ( makes a good excuse to do a cam install ). http://www.97transam.com/harold/hc.php

John